Harrisons miniseries

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

TheDukester wrote:He loves them? Can't get enough?
Yes, that is exactly right! :wink:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:roll:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
niño-gusano

Re: Harrisons miniseries

Post by niño-gusano »

The miniseries are just horrible. Acting is bad, the clothes are ridiculous (specially the hats), the cast was terrible (RM Mohiam for example, she´s supposed to be old, stern and grim but I would bone the one from the series)

How can you compare Lynch´s sense of style with all this crap!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

niño-gusano wrote:(RM Mohiam for example, she´s supposed to be old, stern and grim but I would bone the one from the series)
Well, thanks a lot, that's gonna put me off my feed for the night. :roll:

(Even with the metal teeth? :P )
niño-gusano

Post by niño-gusano »

The metal teeth are a major turn on! I wouldn´t bone her without them!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:text-tmi:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

He must also be a fan of the pain box... :crazy:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

niño-gusano wrote:The miniseries are just horrible. Acting is bad, the clothes are ridiculous (specially the hats), the cast was terrible (RM Mohiam for example, she´s supposed to be old, stern and grim but I would bone the one from the series)

How can you compare Lynch´s sense of style with all this crap!
Easy. Lynch's sense of style was a heaping pile of scat. The special effects sucked ass, the "feel" sucked
ass, the deviations from the text, while expected, were so blatantly ill-conceived and downright bad that
it's hard to even chuckle at their badness.

Lynch didn't nail a single aspect of Dune, IMO. It would be impossible to put out something worse than
Lynch's effort.

Literally.
Impossible.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Peter Berg ... the man for the task, MESSUP: IMPOSSIBLE!
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Spicelon wrote:Lynch didn't nail a single aspect of Dune, IMO. It would be impossible to put out something worse than Lynch's effort.
QFT.

Not just a bad Dune movie, but a bad movie of any sort. And typical self-indulgent Lynch, which makes it nearly unwatchable.

A truly awful, awful, awful movie.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
niño-gusano

Post by niño-gusano »

I see......you guys think that Lynch is just as good as KJA ;)

Ok, that´s right, he did not follow FH´s novel as much as I would like, but the imaginery is awesome.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Lynch is a legitimate talent. He is NOT KJA! Uwe Boll is the cinematic equal of KJA.

About Lynch's 1984 Dune film I can at least say this: it might have been a failure as a film, but it was an interesting failure. I'd rather watch a thousand interesting failures than watch even one homogenized, sanitized, lowest-common-denominator movie. If it has to fail, give me interesting failures like Dune (1984), The Cell, or Legend. Take Hancock, Transformers or X-Men Origins: Wolverine and shove them up the studio's asses :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

I admit that my...displeasure...with Lynch's Dune prohibits me from acknowledging that the film may, in fact, be interesting. Whether or not the film is interesting is moot as I simply cannot get past the horrible aspects that define this film.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I thought the scenery was great. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

^^^'Twas moving.
RedHeadKevin

Post by RedHeadKevin »

I think Harrison did a lot of things right with his miniseries, but I think giving him a big-movie budget would have saved a lot of things:
-He wouldn't have used ALL SOUNDSTAGE filming with obvious backdrops
-He could have included some better CGI (eg, shield-fighting in the battles, actually showing Caladan)
-He could have spent some more time to focus on the secondary characters (Duncan, Thufir, the Fenrings)
-He could have filmed a couple more explosions, so we don't see the same flipping-Sardaukar 10 times.
-He could have found some better (more fitting) actors.

and I think he made some very interesting compromises:
-Paul's immaturity: he's supposed to be 15 when the story starts, and mature as it goes on. He couldn't make Alec Newman physically younger, so he made him emotionally younger/immature.
-The expanded role of Irulan/merging the characters of Irulan and Lady Fenring: Irulan barely appears in Dune, and it can be made obvious through the narration that she's the heiress to the throne. If she showed up at the end of the movie, and Paul was like, "we're married, I'm the Emperor now," people wouldn't know who this girl was, and why the eff he's the Emperor now.
- KIlling Thufir during the Harkonnen attack: Thufir was wasted in the miniseries anyways. Apart from the great death scene at the end and all his "I've failed you, my Duke," he doesn't do much to advance Paul's story in the book, either.
-Fremen eyes: It's very difficult to give all your extras dark blue, total eye-covering contacts, so I liked the way the Fremen's eyes looked blue from certain angles, like a cat's does.

IN rereading the book, it's astounding to me how much of the action in the story happens off-screen, which would make for a fairly unsatisfying movie:
-The battles of Arrakeen aren't shown. The Harkonnen attack happens completely off-screen in the book. Apart from a page or two describing the worms in the Arrakeen basin, eating/crushing the Sardaukar, there is very little of the battle
-The book doesn't describe the navigators or how they get a ship through hyperspace AT ALL. They just show up at Arrakis. (although in DM and CoD, Herbert kinda describes what Edric looks like)

And then there were the things I thought Harrison blew in his miniseries:
-the look of the characters: Stilgar was supposed to have a heavy beard, Mohaim was supposed to be an old crone, Piter wasn't effeminate, Yueh didn't have his tattoo, and I hated most of the costumes (HATS FOR EVERYONE!) although I DID like the stillsuits. I always thought they should look something like a painter's Tyvek coveralls, with a cape over them.
-The Sardaukar showed almost no badassery. They were described as "killers," but they were essentially cannon fodder.
-The secondary characters were wasted (Yueh, Duncan, Thufir, Fenring, Piter:) I didn't give a damn about any of them, really. Yueh showed up as the traitor, and I felt like "okay, now who's this guy, and why should I care?"
-The casting of many of the characters: I didn't know that everyone in Dune was Transylvanian. Seriously, they all sounded like friggin' Dracula. (listen to Mohaim, Romallo, the Guild banker at the dinner, Chani, among others)
I don't recommend anyone drink their thigh pad water. It tastes really bad, like ass and dirt.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

The hats were the best part:

+++++

Actually, I enjoyed your post and hope to have a more serious response soon.

(But I do like the costumes in both series; I don't have a problem with them at all)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
RedHeadKevin

Post by RedHeadKevin »

I actually preferred the costumes in Lynch's version, FOR THE MOST PART.
Liked:
-The Atreides uniforms,
-The Bashar's uniforms worn by the Emperor and his cronies (what's with the metal-nose guy, though?)
-The simple black aba robes of the Bene Gesserit
-The industrial Harkonnen clothes (particularly Piter)
-SOME aspects of the stillsuits
-the fact that Harkonnen troops and Sardaukar wore the same uniforms.
-Fremen everyday-wear

Didn't like:
-Hoodless/cloakless stillsuits
-Feyd and Rabban's weird ribbed blue suits
-The uniforms that the Harkonnen troops and Sardaukar wore. ( I just liked that they were the same.)

Harrison's costumes were too out-there for me. Lynch's costumes felt like stuff people would actually wear.
I don't recommend anyone drink their thigh pad water. It tastes really bad, like ass and dirt.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:The hats were the best part:

+++++

(But I do like the costumes in both series; I don't have a problem with them at all)

God damnit man! Just when I'm starting to like you, you have to bring up the fucking hats again.

I'm going to have to do a boilermaker just to get to sleep now.

bastard
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:

+++++

God damnit man! Just when I'm starting to like you, you have to bring up the fucking hats again.

bastard
At this point I doubt one more will help you any. You can always tell when Freak is drinking. He responds to his own posts, like, twelve times. :D

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

how can you tell when I'm drinking ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:how can you tell when I'm drinking ?
Viet Nam
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

+++++

bastard
At this point I doubt one more will help you any. You can always tell when Freak is drinking. He responds to his own posts, like, twelve times. :D
There's some point I pass, beyond "sleep", where the realm of "passing out" becomes an objective.

I have what doctors call "a bit of a drinking problem". That's why I don't do it often. :crazy:
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

You're awake :).
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:
You're awake :).
I was tempted to say something like that but decided to let someone else takt that shot. :P
~Pink Snowman