Scenes You Want or Expect to See in Dune (2010)!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I often wonder what he would think about what's going on at Dune Novels.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Freakzilla wrote:I often wonder what he would think about what's going on at Dune Novels.
I'm sure he would've liked the debate :wink:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Simon

Post by Simon »

I don't know whom he would have sided with, or even if he would have sided but I suspect he'd be happy that something he created arouses the passions and interest of so many people.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

No he wouldn't, he'd be horrified.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Ampoliros wrote:I have to say, I do think Frank Herbert would consider the Internet the world's largest hypocrisy. I'm pretty sure the Internet would have been the "enemy of many faces" in Dune 7. Mainly because of this fact, he would have celebrated the dissenting opinion but would have laughed in our faces about how we plug in to a vast ocean, dump our opinion in a bottle and then walk away partially satisfied. He would have said "Where's the action? You're a bunch of water-fat whiners."

In our defense I would say the fact that most of us post here on Jacurutu and T(A)U at least once a day that we are taking the only action left open to us. But for the greater problems of the world at large, Frank is dead on.
The internet did not invent human nature. We can gawk and criticize it all we want, but it's just another manifestation of society and deserves no more or less ridicule than any other human endeavour. Only difference is it's new and that means it makes headlines better than talking about the industrial revolution :)

At least for the time being, the internet has done more for democracy than many of our democratic institutions. The voice of the internet has become the voice of the people and it's so potent that even the most powerful companies in the world have run to the government and the courts in a vain attempt to stop what people do on it.

In my opinion, the internet actually represents the next level of democracy. It's a disgraceful shame that media and government are seeking to destroy the freedom of the net rather than embrace it to improve our freedoms and our way of life. But like Frank taught us so poignantly in his books, I guess that's what revolutions are for :)

For all the internet's many failings, I wouldn't have it any other way. Whining is what democracy was built upon and it should be expanded, not curtailed. I'll take anger and whining over apathy any day.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

GamePlayer wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:I have to say, I do think Frank Herbert would consider the Internet the world's largest hypocrisy. I'm pretty sure the Internet would have been the "enemy of many faces" in Dune 7. Mainly because of this fact, he would have celebrated the dissenting opinion but would have laughed in our faces about how we plug in to a vast ocean, dump our opinion in a bottle and then walk away partially satisfied. He would have said "Where's the action? You're a bunch of water-fat whiners."

In our defense I would say the fact that most of us post here on Jacurutu and T(A)U at least once a day that we are taking the only action left open to us. But for the greater problems of the world at large, Frank is dead on.
The internet did not invent human nature. We can gawk and criticize it all we want, but it's just another manifestation of society and deserves no more or less ridicule than any other human endeavour. Only difference is it's new and that means it makes headlines better than talking about the industrial revolution :)

At least for the time being, the internet has done more for democracy than many of our democratic institutions. The voice of the internet has become the voice of the people and it's so potent that even the most powerful companies in the world have run to the government and the courts in a vain attempt to stop what people do on it.

In my opinion, the internet actually represents the next level of democracy. It's a disgraceful shame that media and government are seeking to destroy the freedom of the net rather than embrace it to improve our freedoms and our way of life. But like Frank taught us so poignantly in his books, I guess that's what revolutions are for :)

For all the internet's many failings, I wouldn't have it any other way. Whining is what democracy was built upon and it should be expanded, not curtailed. I'll take anger and whining over apathy any day.
pics or didn't happen. :D
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

chanilover wrote:No he wouldn't, he'd be horrified.
Total agreement.

He'd be embarrassed that a blood relative of his was completely incapable of handling any sort of debate or discussion without whipping out the ban-stick. And he wouldn't stand for the woeful level of "discourse" over there, which, at this point, appears to consist almost entirely of the semi-lucid ramblings of about five wingnuts.

He'd shut DN down or insist that it be radically altered. I have no doubt at all about that.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Just to expand a little on what I said. I've had a trawl around on there today, and I can honestly say that it has gone from a great site to a shadow of its former self.

The level of discussion on there is as shallow as a puddle of piss. If it had been in the state it's now in a couple of years ago, there is no way on Earth I would have joined.

It is crap. The only thing remotely worth reading and commenting on was Sloey's fanfic story. There you have it, the official Dune site and thanks to the HLP and Anderson, the only posts worth reading are those of a 13 year old guy from Georgia.

SHAME.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think the only people there now are the one's FH would have banned, for the most part.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Yep.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

TheDukester wrote:
Total agreement.

He'd be embarrassed that a blood relative of his was completely incapable of handling any sort of debate or discussion without whipping out the ban-stick. And he wouldn't stand for the woeful level of "discourse" over there, which, at this point, appears to consist almost entirely of the semi-lucid ramblings of about five wingnuts.

He'd shut DN down or insist that it be radically altered. I have no doubt at all about that.
Well i can tell you that he would understand our arguments and defended the idea that we have a right to complain about it. We're readers and customers, plus i dont think he would've aproved KJA's contribution. In fact i'm pretty sure FH wouldnt like his scientology aproach :roll:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think the Norma character saving the day would have killed him if he was still alive.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:I think the Norma character saving the day would have killed him if he was still alive.
I was thinking the other day about how not one single plot line from hunters or sandworms has anything at all to do with the final resolution of the book. NONE of it is necessary at all, not the new Missionaria Aggressiva, not the Obliterator plot, not the plague, not the water worms, not the armored worms, none of it. The entirety of both novels is just "neat" filler and has zero to do with the ending. Garbage.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Ampoliros wrote:pics or didn't happen. :D
Hahahaha. Classic :lol:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think FH would have bitch slapped both BH & KJA for comming up with "Missionaria Agressiva".

That's just bad.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I have a hard time believing FH, a craftsman, would have had any use at all for KJA, a dime-a-dozen hack who basically admits that he just writes as fast as he can.

I'm sure FH knew his share of those in the '60s, '70s, and '80s. And my strong hunch is that he kept them at arm's length.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:I was thinking the other day about how not one single plot line from hunters or sandworms has anything at all to do with the final resolution of the book. NONE of it is necessary at all, not the new Missionaria Aggressiva, not the Obliterator plot, not the plague, not the water worms, not the armored worms, none of it. The entirety of both novels is just "neat" filler and has zero to do with the ending. Garbage.
Couldn't agree more.

I had a similar rant here just after I'd finished Sandworms. The Dune 7 novels were just a mess in terms of plotting. So many threads just went nowhere, or ended in a way that made no sense, or contributed nothing to the actual resolution of the main conflict. There was no cohesion, just events strung together, written to generate drama, danger, action or some "cool" idea in that moment.

I never met FH, and only "know" him through his novels, so I don't know what he'd think of the DN forum. As far as the new Dune novels are concerned, I'd like to think he'd take Brian aside and actually try to teach him something about writing in that universe.

HBJ
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Freakzilla wrote:I think FH would have bitch slapped both BH & KJA for comming up with "Missionaria Agressiva".

That's just bad.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

I totally agree. "Missionaria Aggressiva" is such an amazingly retarded idea. Dumb-fuck-dumb. Its so fucking stupid i need "colorful metaphors" to explain how fanboy fucking retarded it is. Anyone who thinks that was "COOL!" needs to beat in the fucking head with a fucking aluminum bat.

I like to think of ideas like this as "retarded clever." sure wow, you switched the words protectiva with agressiva. Cause it reflects a switch in approaches to the outside threat.

its a smaller mission in the greater Missionaria Rape Herbert's Corpse. I didn't add the -iva on that. Cause i'm not a fucking retard fanboy.

/rant
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Ampoliros wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I think FH would have bitch slapped both BH & KJA for comming up with "Missionaria Agressiva".

That's just bad.

I totally agree. "Missionaria Aggressiva" is such an amazingly retarded idea. Dumb-fuck-dumb. Its so fucking stupid i need "colorful metaphors" to explain how fanboy fucking retarded it is. Anyone who thinks that was "COOL!" needs to beat in the fucking head with a fucking aluminum bat.
I think its "Cool."

:wink:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:I think the Norma character saving the day would have killed him if he was still alive.
I'll have to check if Byron deleted my comment about Norma. He was trying to tell people that kja and bh were trying to avoid a deus ex machina when dealing with Thufir and and Rabbi face dancers. Then they went and ended the whole fucking series with one. I'm afraid he wasn't kidding. :roll:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:
I'll have to check if Byron deleted my comment about Norma. He was trying to tell people that kja and bh were trying to avoid a deus ex machina when dealing with Thufir and and Rabbi face dancers. Then they went and ended the whole fucking series with one. I'm afraid he wasn't kidding. :roll:
Jeez! You think he would have learned to just stay away from that phrase by now, wouldn't you?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Tleszer wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:

That's just bad.

I think its "Cool."
its okay, You're Colbert
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
Jeez! You think he would have learned to just stay away from that phrase by now, wouldn't you?
I checked, he did delete it. Now I'm going to go see if he deleted the one I wrote after that. It may just be the end of that thread. God forbid anyone says Normacle is a deus ex machina. :roll: That place is as dumb as kja's face.

Edit: Damn it Freak! How do you get away with posting the same idea I do and not get deleted over there?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
I checked, he did delete it. Now I'm going to go see if he deleted the one I wrote after that. It may just be the end of that thread. God forbid anyone says Normacle is a deus ex machina. :roll: That place is as dumb as kja's face.

Edit: Damn it Freak! How do you get away with posting the same idea I do and not get deleted over there?
I guess I wore him out with all the posts of mine he deleted in the past few days and he finally realized the futility.

If it weren't for deleted posts I'd probably have 10,000.
~Pink Snowman
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

I guess I wore him out with all the posts of mine he deleted in the past few days and he finally realized the futility.

If it weren't for deleted posts I'd probably have 10,000.
We'll have a huge party when (and if) Freakzilla gets banned from DN. "Finally he pissed byron off woopy!". For some reason i image it with the music of the ending scene of star wars: return of the Jedi, the one where they're celebrating the empire's defeat. http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHX3mAbyrs silly me :lol: it would probably be beer and rock and roll
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood