Scenes You Want or Expect to See in Dune (2010)!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Scenes You Want or Expect to See in Dune (2010)!

Post by SandChigger »

I expect to see...

Paul and a bunch of Fremen ride a sandworm until it's exhausted and can't move, at which point they all jump off. As Paul prepares a thumper to summon a new worm, Stilgar comes up to him and says, "Muad'Dib...Shai Hulud is too tired to bury Himself. If we leave Him like this, Harkonnen scounts might detect our trail...."

"Good point, Stil," Paul says. He strides over to the worm, picks it up by the tail, swings it around his head a few times and lets it fly. The worm sails through the sky over the dunes and disappears in a distant plume of sand and dust. :lol:

(This scene will be pilfered by Kevin and used in one of the "Heroes" books!)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

A ridiculous emphasis on overwrought action and a preachy, heavy-handed environmental feel-good message/ending.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

GamePlayer wrote:a preachy, heavy-handed environmental feel-good message/ending.
Yeah, i'm afraid about that one too...i wouldn't be surprise if they use another substitute for the Spice, like a hybrid-electric- Ultraspice, because Gawd knows it's so bad to depend on one precious substance,like,say,oil... :roll:

But i'm mostly afraid to see something from the new books... :cry:
orald

Post by orald »

Paul and BG getting magical "force=like" powers. :cry:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I want the dinner scene, but I expect a visit at McD.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Secher_Nbiw

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

i want the dinner sequence too, but the chances of that are pretty much nil. although i am looking forward to seeing what a mess they make of the wardrobe though, especially given the mini-series atrocities
I am a mortal god.
waff

Post by waff »

I am concerned about how they might cast the Baron. I hated the over-the-top, carbuncular Baron of the David Lynch film, and while I generally liked Ian McNeice in the SciFi miniseries, he was too theatrical for my taste (the rhyming couplets became very annoying after a while). It is a tricky role to cast, and a bad director will overdo it to the point that the Baron becomes a grotesque parody of a villain.

(And a hot Feyd wouldn't be too hard on the eyes either! :wink: )

I also want to see real desert and good CG sandworms--real ones if they can breed 'em!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

The dinner scene will be in the movie but Norma, Vorian, Cyborb-Rhombur, Erasmus and Omnius will be at the table.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Scenes You Want or Expect to See in Dune (2010)!

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:I expect to see...

Paul and a bunch of Fremen ride a sandworm until it's exhausted and can't move, at which point they all jump off. As Paul prepares a thumper to summon a new worm, Stilgar comes up to him and says, "Muad'Dib...Shai Hulud is too tired to bury Himself. If we leave Him like this, Harkonnen scounts might detect our trail...."

"Good point, Stil," Paul says. He strides over to the worm, picks it up by the tail, swings it around his head a few times and lets it fly. The worm sails through the sky over the dunes and disappears in a distant plume of sand and dust. :lol:

(This scene will be pilfered by Kevin and used in one of the "Heroes" books!)
Why couldn't Paul just flip open his ducal signet ring and the worm gets slurped up into it for later use. Kind of like a Pokemon and The Flash's costume?
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

A naked Alia training on the sparring machine.

Oh wait, that's Dune Messiah. :(

Chani handling Paul's "thumper".

An in depth treatise on Imperial privy technology.

Paul with his four foot Spice hookah?

Paul and his Feydakin doing a haka to honor Shai-Hulud.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

I expect a subplot to emerge about drug addiction.

JESSICA: Paul, what are you doing in your room?
PAUL: Oh, you know, Mom. Just saving people from hunter-seekers and practicing my prana-bindu.
JESSICA: Oh, really? What's that on your nose?
PAUL: Huh? I don't know... It's nothing...
JESSICA: Paul, you've been snorting the spice again, haven't you?
PAUL: No, I don't know what you're talking about, Mom!
JESSICA: Don't you lie to me, boy, or I'll get a Truthsayer in here before you can say "Kwisatz Haderach."
PAUL: OK, OK, I tried snorting the spice with Duncan, just once, Mom. It's pretty cool, though. I had a vision about fighting myself and sucking my blood back into my body. It was fucking trippy.
JESSICA: Well, actually, that DOES sound pretty fucking cool. Where do you get that spice?
Scene changes, Duke Leto walks in on Duncan, Jessica, and Paul passed out with needles all around them.
LETO: Goddamnit. AUGH, SARDAUKAR, THIS FUCKING SUCKS! WHY WEREN'T MY LOYAL GUARDS AND FAMILY AROUND TO SAVE ME FROM THIS HORRIBLE FATE, OH, THE TERRORS OF DRUG USE!

Or something like that.
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
orald

Post by orald »

Overuse of lasguns.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
waff

Post by waff »

I expect they'll cast Zac Efron or Shia LeBeouf as Paul.

Cate Blanchett as Jessica?

Tom Cruise as Leto?

Jack Nicholson as Shaddam?
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

orald wrote:Overuse of lasguns.
Sadly, this is pretty likely.

Shootouts of some sort — whether or not the movie actually goes into the concept of lasguns — are pretty much a guarantee in a big-budget "action/adventure" movie. The Harkonnen attack on Arrakeen has probably already been mentally checked off in the producers' minds as "10-minute shootout goes right here."
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
trang

Post by trang »

(keep these in the mindset of the p&b and bergs vision)

Chani nakid as much as possible.
Jessica nakid as much as possible.
Irulan Nakid as much a possible

Duncan fighting the Imperial and Harkonen troops, a lot, this should be easy to fit into the action space opera stuff.

The fremen running around a lot screaming and riding worms and crysknifing everyone.

Paul flying around in 'thopter seeding the clouds with rainmaking stuff, so he can make it rain at the end of the movie.

Thufar actually assainate someone.

A bunch of lasguns hitting sheilds and the atomic explosions.

Worms doing it in the deep desert.

Paul recycling his trash into the appropriate colored bins.

the fremen planting tree's everywhere to save the environment.

The atreidies verison of habitat for humanity building houses for the fremen to feel good about themselves.

A precient flashback that stars Vorian.

A precient flashforward showing Waterworms.

Thats about all for now, im sure Ill think of something else.

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

(You seem in a good mood today.)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Damn! That's a hard question.... how about ALL OF THEM!!!
I couldn't pick and choose, they are all essential in my book (literally, I tried to edit my fan comic but figured if I'm going to draw the book it should be complete, not diluted, that's just me though...) I'll just have to hope Mr.Berg takes his duty to his subject matter seriously.

I want Frank Herbert's DUNE, not a half assed version please! :D

BTW: Any new news from the Berg front?
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

He seems pretty thoroughly convinced that Dune is an action story about a kid becoming a hero. That's all I've heard thus far. Not looking great. :(
Simon

Post by Simon »

That's what I'd heard...

That's part of it for sure but not "all there is to it". :?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nah, it's all just boom-pow!

:roll:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:He seems pretty thoroughly convinced that Dune is an action story about a kid becoming a hero. That's all I've heard thus far. Not looking great. :(
Don't worry. KJA will fix that and convince him its about a boy becoming a God.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Simon wrote:I want Frank Herbert's DUNE, not a half assed version please! :D
boy do you hang out at the wrong site most of the time.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Omphalos wrote:
Simon wrote:I want Frank Herbert's DUNE, not a half assed version please! :D
boy do you hang out at the wrong site most of the time.
...and the wrong crowd... :wink:
Simon

Post by Simon »

I'm just not hip to the "HLP hate" (which let's face it, is the unspoken reason for this site).

I've heard the horror stories but truth be told, my experiences with the HLP have been 100% positive. KJA pointed me towards DN (which introduced me to the online Dune fan community), Byron was really great when I first came on board and helped me post my pics when I didn't know how and also gave me permission to post my fan comic, I've only messaged Kim Herbert once on Myspace in relation to the official page but she was very nice to me as well.

Everyone at the HLP I've had any contact with have been ridiculously cool. So yes, call me a suck up, but I've only good things to say. I just happen to think that all of you are pretty good folk too (regardless of your dislike for the BH/KJA material) so I like to keep in touch. I've nothing but total respect for your classic Dune knowledge. I used to think I was the biggest Dune fan ever, I know now that isn't the case, as far as I can tell some of the most serious fans of FH's work can be found here (your knowledgeability often blows my mind). Until this last year I have never met so many people who have given Dune so much thought. That's cool to me.

(from edit) Of course I want DUNE(2010) to be as close to the novel as possible! I'm just not going to hate Berg if he fails. Be disappointed, yes, but not frothing. In my mind it seems simple: Just follow the book. It's a recipe for success (speaking in terms money men understand), follow Frank's words as though they led to buried treasure. What I really wish they'd had done was to do DUNE in three parts including every bit of the novel, LotR trilogy length for just DUNE alone. It seems like it'd be the perfect solution, fans get a novel accurate film and the studio gets it's money, win/win right?

Guess not though. I'm sure there are a million things we are totally unaware of which would keep (kept) that from happening. So the best I can do is pray that Berg has one of those Will Ferrell/Old School style black outs and makes this version the masterpiece the world has been waiting for since 1965.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Wull, yeah, if you've had only good experiences with them, of course you're not going to think badly of them. And it's your seeming willingness to accept their version of things without seriously thinking about them or questioning them that makes you a suck up.

But you inadvertently pinpointed the problem with this:

"I used to think I was the biggest Dune fan ever...."

That's Kevin's problem. He automatically assumes that you either know nothing or that he will always know more than you. As far as the unpublished material, yeah, that's valid only because he's seen it and we haven't. But he's shown with his writing and his answers to questions (and more importantly, his refusal to address other serious questions) that his grasp of some of the published stuff ain't that firm.

I'm sure he's just as personable and friendly as he can be to you online, and that if you met him in person he'd charm the pants right off you. ;) But my experience was different. I didn't appreciate the way he talked down to me from our very first email exchange. (He obviously assumed I was one of his usual ADD-sufferer/memory-impaired fans. ... Ah, no, he knew I wasn't a fan, because I told him I wasn't when I first contacted him.)

So...this is where you spout one of your famous platitudes about everybody having their own opinion and view and experiences and...and...cue the kumbaya. :roll: