Dune Pronunciation

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Dune Pronunciation

Post by Freakzilla »

Rakis wrote:
She spells it Elle. To me that looks like "L".
That's want it means in french...Elle = she
That's what I told her.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:I'm with you, Freak, on the Elle being "wrong". (However French it may be. :P ) Elli would work, tho, why not? Even looks kinda modern-trendy, without the usual final "e". Hmmm....
Can you PM some credentials so I can email that to my wife? (Seriously, we've argued about it quite a bit.)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Rakis wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:I vote for Chainy
How about Cheney...like Dick ? :lol:
Now that is dangerous! :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Freakzilla wrote:My wife insist on spelling our daughter's name wrong. Her name is Elizabeth and we call her Ellie (L-E). She spells it Elle. To me that looks like "L".

I know a lady whose name is pronounced L E but it is spelled Elle. I see both or your points. I guess those who pronounce Elle as "L. E." is breaking it up between the LL so that it reads El Le.

how about jsut calling your daughter Beth. it would be easier. ;)
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

We're not trying to do things the easy way, last I was told. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Could have sworn I read something somewhere where Frank Herbert said it doesn't mean a damn how you pronounce the names of things in his stories, as pronunciation varies so much over time and according to accent and dialect and a billion other variables. Language evolves, I believe was his point.

Hm...wonder where that was...

(I've actually used that argument myself when people call me out on some of my strange pronunciations of words. I can't for the life of me figure out how to consistently and properly stress words like "tarot" or "conjure" in a way that pleases everyone.)
You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Phaedrus wrote:Could have sworn I read something somewhere where Frank Herbert said it doesn't mean a damn how you pronounce the names of things in his stories, as pronunciation varies so much over time and according to accent and dialect and a billion other variables. Language evolves, I believe was his point.
Bit of a cop out, that, isn't it?

If it didn't matter, why didn't he just designate the characters with numbers or unpronounceable sequences of or single letters? :roll:

I'm kidding, of course. ;)

Honestly, I just pronounce them in my head they way they look to me, the way I always have. Chani is CHAH-nee and the bad guys are Hahr-CONE-uns. It's interesting to know how FH pronounced things himself, but this boorish "Oh, this is the RIGHT way, this is how FRANK HERBERT said it!" is just another example of bullshit vying among "fans" over who's the most correct, or who's re-read the books the most times, or blah blah blah.

It's just the kind of thing that crawls up between my rather fleshy bumcheeks and gnaws on my anal sphincter and makes me pissy in the extreme. And it sounds like FH didn't give a shit either way.

Good. For. Him. :D