Spanish Dune Fan Film

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Spanish Dune Fan Film

Post by Freakzilla »

Suuuuuure it doesn't. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandRider wrote:see ?
this is why I wanted to bogart This One's water ....

(has nothing to do with the fact she's a beautiful red-headed teenager who reads Dune & dresses up like Hester Prynne .....)

glad to read that cause I must confess I had some doubts about your motives :)

but then again what do I know I'm French(well technically British or both_hey I am a Face Dancer_not a robot prostitute from the future or whatever fucked up fantasies coming out of the darkish corners of Frankenhack's mind... yeah just wat till you see the truly dark corners!)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Is that the original Reverend Mother from pre-banning maybe 2006 DN?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

No. She was older and married. :)
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Can't we get someone from DHL to "beat up" and "steal" a DVD copy of the film that accidentally gets shipped stateside?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Wasn't the thing that the makers would get lawyer-bummed however the film leaked?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

We might need Omph to clarify as best he can, but I don't see how us seeing a private viewing of the film would be any different than the filmmakers watching it as long as no profit is made. Unless its illegal for them to even watch it themselves? How is it legal for them to post pictures, trailers and posters for free yet illegal for the film itself to be seen?

Its possible it might be something under Spanish law, supposedly there is a fan made Warhammer 40k movie that Black Library loved but can't allow to be released because German law (where the film was made) would break their copyright on the IP.
trang

Post by trang »

Welcome to the outcast Reverend Mother.. you have just scratched the surface of the gems buried in these archives of the atrocity that is theJacket and fartblocker!! Yea!!

Wouldn't it be prudent to maybe contact the Mediteatro folks and see if they might want to try and contact paramount and the director? more influence the better!!

I'm still trying to find a general contact myself for the director, but no luck. Ya'd think he would have at least some kind of fan mail or something for the movie's.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Ampoliros wrote:We might need Omph to clarify as best he can, but I don't see how us seeing a private viewing of the film would be any different than the filmmakers watching it as long as no profit is made. Unless its illegal for them to even watch it themselves? How is it legal for them to post pictures, trailers and posters for free yet illegal for the film itself to be seen?
They posted all the pics and the trailer before the lawyers were sent on them, I don't think they can really do much of anything with it, the HLP scared the shit out of them as far as I heard.
halcyo

Post by halcyo »

I really don't see it being much of a case in court if they can truly prove to have NOT profited from the film. People make little fan-films and remakes all the time. I think the people who made the film are being a little bit wussy. I say put it out there. If you're proud of it, and it's good, then the demand for it will overwhelm the opposition. Tons of people will enjoy it, and if the HLP try to squash it at that point, they will be exposed as total dickheads...

Release it!
reverendmotherQ.

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

^ agreed. Any time someone suppresses creativity, especially creativity as an homage to a great literary genius, is going to be labeled and defamed as tyrannical. And the fact KJA and BH are profiting off of the work that Frank Herbert spent a decade to complete by writing spin off books in less than a year or so is awfully incriminating compared to the effort these guys seem to have invested in doing the best they could to give justice to the novel.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

rmQ wrote: writing spin off books in less than a year or so
I think that's generous - considering how many projects Keith says he's juggling at once,
and his dictahike rate of half-a-dozen "chapters" per hike, and his "editing" rate of several
hundred pages at sitting while watching DVDs and "jamming out" to "progrock", I'd say he
spends less than a hundred man-hours on any noDune book. The largest amount of time
eaten up in the production process is the time the manuscripts spend in FedEx trucks between
Denver and Washington.... I don't think it takes Brian more than a day to color the pages ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Ampoliros wrote:Its possible it might be something under Spanish law, supposedly there is a fan made Warhammer 40k movie that Black Library loved but can't allow to be released because German law (where the film was made) would break their copyright on the IP.
The German 40k fan film (Damnatus) has since been leaked - afaik the universe is still standing.

I say as soon as the new Dune movie is actually in production, this film needs to be leaked. The reason they blocked it was to smooth negotiations for the new movie, if that movie gets made the only thing they'll gain from re-blocking the fan film is bad publicity.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

DuneFishUK wrote:The German 40k fan film (Damnatus) has since been leaked...
THE POWER OF GOOGLE COMPELS YOU
reverendmotherQ.

SandRider wrote:
I think that's generous - considering how many projects Keith says he's juggling at once,
and his dictahike rate of half-a-dozen "chapters" per hike, and his "editing" rate of several
hundred pages at sitting while watching DVDs and "jamming out" to "progrock", I'd say he
spends less than a hundred man-hours on any noDune book. The largest amount of time
eaten up in the production process is the time the manuscripts spend in FedEx trucks between
Denver and Washington.... I don't think it takes Brian more than a day to color the pages ...
OH what a flop! :shakes head:
As if the fedex would magically make it into great fiction just cause it's on it's way to be published.
trang

Post by trang »

SandRider wrote:
...I don't think it takes Brian more than a day to color the pages ...
thats if the sharpner in the box works, if it goes down.. could be weeks or months.

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

trang wrote:
SandRider wrote:
...I don't think it takes Brian more than a day to color the pages ...
thats if the sharpner in the box works, if it goes down.. could be weeks or months.
ZING!!

rmQ - the FedEx thing is a reference to Brian's inability to use the internet,
causing the Hack Twain to mail the manuscripts they "co-write" back
and forth - if, infact, there's any truth to that story at all (that Brian ever
writes, reads, edits, or actually touches any of the pages before Keith sends
him a tradepaperback copy ....)
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
reverendmotherQ.

SandRider wrote: rmQ - the FedEx thing is a reference to Brian's inability to use the internet,
causing the Hack Twain to mail the manuscripts they "co-write" back
and forth - if, infact, there's any truth to that story at all (that Brian ever
writes, reads, edits, or actually touches any of the pages before Keith sends
him a tradepaperback copy ....)
With this evidence, it's doubtful he does. Look at all of the errors and tyrannical plot branching that has no reference in the original!
:cry: It's grievous the lack of review they obviously recieve. Otherwise they wouldn't have published crap inaccurately presenting the universe of Dune as somesort of wild wild west gunslinging fuedal gripes. Which is a part of the original, but not THE part.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

reverendmotherQ. wrote:As if the fedex would magically make it into great fiction just cause it's on it's way to be published.
This key word is the one of the primary signifier in KJA's thinking that its great literature. The other is that he wrote it.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

no reference in the original!
silly child, Keith & Brian are the Biggest DuneFans EVAH
{Biggest DuneFans EVAH copyright HLP - happy, Merritt ?)

Brian's produced a bazillion-paged concordance of all six of Frank's Dune books,
every detail in their books can be found rooted in the originals & thoroughly explained,
with exception of why Brian won't publish or release this concordance and why
no-one, not even Freakin' Meow, can explain some of the bullshit found on every
page of Keith's Dune ....

}BTW - I saw my mouthpiece the other day - had him add the epigraph I want on my tombstone to my will-
Daniel and Marty are FACEDANCERS, godsdamnit ...
ImageImage

reverendmotherQ.

SandRider wrote: }BTW - I saw my mouthpiece the other day - had him add the epigraph I want on my tombstone to my will-
Daniel and Marty are FACEDANCERS, godsdamnit ...
That is buckets of WIN. I am having an argument over at the nexus of stupidity(dune novels forum) where several Jacurutu members I noticed had already engrossed themselves in the same argument over whether or not the Daniel and Marty characters are machines) about the true identity of the couple. And it's a little depressing to already know before finishing Hunters how awfully ridiculous its going to end up to be.
trang

Post by trang »

I'm a simple fellow, and this thought isnt about the spanish film, I have one thing that I would say to TheJacket and FartBlocker.

"In all your thoughts on DUNE.. its expansion, notes, Concordance, being the biggest fans, etc.. you missed the most fundamentally simple concept, Pauls Birth Place. Page 1, book 1, scene 1, act 1.. hell the first 60 or so dam words that kicks the whole dam epic off!! He was born on Caladan.. period end of story."

They screwed the pooch on that and have from House books thru Winds. In the first 110 pages of POD they make argument of the fact at least 4 times. They are idiot, exploitist, legacy raping, hacks trying to make a buck.

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

That's a very fair and valid point. They screwed up literally the first thing in the first book. And it was all downhill from there.

Of course, it's an easy leap to assume it was done on purpose:

+++++

Kevin: "Hey, Bri-Guy, we need to change Paul's birthplace."

Brian (looking up from coloring book): "But ... but ... even I know that that is right there on the first page."

Kevin: "Well, it's limiting my creativity."

Brian: "Your what-now?"

Kevin: "Sigh. It limits our ability to make some extra coin, you fuzzy-headed looney-tune."

Brian: "I know you've asked me to stop saying 'huh,' Kevin ... but ... 'huh'?"

Kevin: "Gah! Think, you nappy-haired goon! How can we write at least three books of Young Indiana Atreides adventures if we don't somehow get Paul's ass off Caladan?"

Brian: "Oh, wait ... I think I'm getting it."

Kevin: "That's right; roll with it, big guy!"

Brian:" You want to streeeeeeeetch everything out ..."

Kevin: "Keep going!"

Brian: "... you want to write like 15 books that could have easily been four ..."

Kevin: "You're getting it!"

Brian: "... just like your Saga of Seven Suns series!"

Kevin: "Exactly!"
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I read on the internet that Paul was born in the national archives ....
ImageImage

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

reverendmotherQ. wrote::cry: It's grievous the lack of review they obviously recieve. Otherwise they wouldn't have published crap inaccurately presenting the universe of Dune as somesort of wild wild west gunslinging fuedal gripes. Which is a part of the original, but not THE part.
Not just that, either. At some point you think someone reading them would say "Wait, guys. You do realize that this is a nonsensical mess, right? C'mon quit kidding around, show us the *real* Dune 7 books."

Edited to add: Duke, that was comedy gold. "Your what-now?" :lol: :lol:

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks