Spanish Dune Fan Film

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Spanish Dune Fan Film

Post by Freakzilla »

reverendmotherQ. wrote:And it's a little depressing to already know before finishing Hunters how awfully ridiculous its going to end up to be.
That was the point in my McDune reading where I threw the book across the room and decided not to pollute my brain anymore.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
reverendmotherQ.

Post by reverendmotherQ. »

Freakzilla wrote:
reverendmotherQ. wrote:And it's a little depressing to already know before finishing Hunters how awfully ridiculous its going to end up to be.
That was the point in my McDune reading where I threw the book across the room and decided not to pollute my brain anymore.
Yeah, that load of crap is heading straight back to the library I finished two thirds of it and couldn't take it anymore.
I think my eyes are boiling in their sockets I am so mad at them. Sons of bitches raping my Frank's Dune.
ARGHHH!
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Every Dune fan should read Sandworms of Dune. Nothing they've written comes close to it in the sheer scale of shittery which flows from every page. It's a masterpiece in toilet-scraping dung. I'd go so far as to say that this is the book which transforms Combover from a rent-a-hack into a genuine anti-frankherbert.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
trang

Post by trang »

been a while for me, just struggling along with RL, mind and body focused on that. I had noticed that Paramount dropped the Dune remaike, rights back to the Herbert conglomerate(whatever they are called now). Wonder if they had any brains, they could invest some money, bring the folks behind the Spanish Film into the fold (being they had already made a very excellent version and investment of time) and maybe bankroll their vision and bring it to life. They seemed to have the idea down and were on they're way to the first three books.

just a thought.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Based on recent info (welcome back by the way!) the HLP seems to be holding desperately on to the idea that another major studio will pick it up.

I can't see them getting involved with the Spanish one for a couple reasons, firstly it looked good, but still wasn't pro quality, so they're not going to dig that, secondly they probably won't see an opportunity to make money there, and without money the HLP don't give a shit about anything.

And lastly, that would mean essentially apologizing for terrorizing those poor folks, and when has the HLP every apologized for ANYTHING?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:and when has the HLP every apologized for ANYTHING?
Why apologize when you can do whatever you want?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Omphalos wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:and when has the HLP every apologized for ANYTHING?
Why apologize when you can do whatever you want?
What I'd give to find some way to crush those leaches legally, but alas, I think tis not to be. :(
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I ain't never been one to let facts or unsubstantiated speculation
stand in the way of my agenda ....

anyway, I read on the internet that the reason Paramount dropped the project,
and why no-one else will ever pick it up, is that Paramount lawyers got ahold
of the actual contents of the "two safety deposit boxes" ... there WERE extensive
notes for the outline of "Dune 7" and very specific instructions to turn them (and the
copyright) over to Norman Spinrad in case Frank died before he could write the book
himself; the other piece of paper in there transferred all Frank's assets, notes & papers,
and the copyrights to all his other books to "The Herbert Foundation for American Literature",
a non-profit to be based at Fullerton and headed by Dr. McNelly (there was also a procedure
to return the "Dune" copyrights to this Foundation after the publication of "Dune 7", and
a very detailed procedure for Dr. McNelly and Spinrad to follow to choose another
author for "Dune 7", if Spinrad felt he was not up to the task or his health failed, and a very
clear directive that in no case should Frank's son, Brian Herbert, be allowed any input or
participation in any Dune-related projects, or any type of role in the "Herbert Foundation";
Frank specifically left control of his personal, commercial, and literary assets to Willis McNelly
exclusively, contingent on the execution of his plan for the Foundation, at Fullerton; he named
Dr. McNelly, Vonda McEntire, Spinrad, and Harlan Ellison as "co-equal trustees", and briefly
outlined a suggested format for choosing succeeding "trustees", but obviously left those future
decisions to the "Foundation Four"; and despite the obvious implications of this long-suppressed
document, the main reason the Paramount lawyers got itchy was the last little part, which stated
that in the event of the non-execution of Frank's plan for the Foundation, control of his
entire estate would devolve onto someone named "Sue Arfive" ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

trang

Post by trang »

SR do you have any links to that info? Would love
To see that:)
Thing, I doubt they would either, just thinking out loud,
I REALLY liked what I saw from those spanish dune folks,
and its a dam shame what happened.

The latest I see ( from march '11 links) the dune mini series
Folks (rubenstine and misher) and paramount deal fell apart because
Of cash. So those two are just looking for new backing. I don't know
How close relationship there is with the core herbert group people but it
Seems there is still posibilty of it getting done.

zacher2005

Post by zacher2005 »

SandRider wrote:I ain't never been one to let facts or unsubstantiated speculation

of the actual contents of the "two safety deposit boxes" ... there WERE extensive
notes for the outline of "Dune 7" and very specific instructions to turn them (and the
copyright) over to Norman Spinrad in case Frank died before he could write the book
himself; the other piece of paper in there transferred all Frank's assets, notes & papers,
and the copyrights to all his other books to "The Herbert Foundation for American Literature",
a non-profit to be based at Fullerton and headed by Dr. McNelly (there was also a procedure
to return the "Dune" copyrights to this Foundation after the publication of "Dune 7", and
a very detailed procedure for Dr. McNelly and Spinrad to follow to choose another
author for "Dune 7", if Spinrad felt he was not up to the task or his health failed, and a very
clear directive that in no case should Frank's son, Brian Herbert, be allowed any input or
participation in any Dune-related projects, or any type of role in the "Herbert Foundation";
Frank specifically left control of his personal, commercial, and literary assets to Willis McNelly
exclusively, contingent on the execution of his plan for the Foundation, at Fullerton; he named
Dr. McNelly, Vonda McEntire, Spinrad, and Harlan Ellison as "co-equal trustees", and briefly
outlined a suggested format for choosing succeeding "trustees", but obviously left those future
decisions to the "Foundation Four"; and despite the obvious implications of this long-suppressed
document, the main reason the Paramount lawyers got itchy was the last little part, which stated
that in the event of the non-execution of Frank's plan for the Foundation, control of his
That sounds liek 99% of the bullshit you read online that is made up and wrong. The issue was finiding a dirrector and funding, not some super secret lawyer who got in some super secret box, I mean how the fuck would they even get the papers that were iun there, and if they had this BS aboutBrian Herbert not being the legal what - ever, do you think he would let anyone see it. Man I hate the internet sometimes.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

zacher2005 wrote:
SandRider wrote:I ain't never been one to let facts or unsubstantiated speculation

That sounds liek 99% of the bullshit you read online that is made up and wrong. The issue was finiding a dirrector and funding, not some super secret lawyer who got in some super secret box, I mean how the fuck would they even get the papers that were iun there, and if they had this BS aboutBrian Herbert not being the legal what - ever, do you think he would let anyone see it. Man I hate the internet sometimes.
It's okay Sandrider, I heard that too. Once Paramount saw that there may be other potential interests in the rights they weren't about to share their cut of what would potentially amount to over a billion $ in box office profits.

The "Sue Arfive" you mentioned is actually working on a skin for a new Dune forum that is supposed to incorporate the best of those old Invision forums.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Nekhrun wrote:
zacher2005 wrote:

It's okay Sandrider, I heard that too. Once Paramount saw that there may be other potential interests in the rights they weren't about to share their cut of what would potentially amount to over a billion $ in box office profits.

The "Sue Arfive" you mentioned is actually working on a skin for a new Dune forum that is supposed to incorporate the best of those old Invision forums.
I totally heard "Sue Arfive" was going with a hot-pink color theme. I had nothing but respect for her until I heard that nonsense. Now I fucking hate her guts.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Pink isn't that bad. You'll get used to it after a while. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Trang: I do have a number of links to that info;
unfortunately, they are all links to copy-pasta
of the above post I spread over the net the other day ...

I'm testing the "if is repeated enough, it becomes the truth" hypothesis ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
trang

Post by trang »

Understood, More power to ya SR:)

Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

I read by one of the makers of this proyect that this fan film is an 8 hour long trilogy. It´s been 5 years since it was halted by the HLP. Why can´t they make a torrent of this and share it with us fans of the books, or something like that? After all, what are they so scared of? It´s not like they´re gonna go to jail for this.
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Lawliet wrote:I read by one of the makers of this proyect that this fan film is an 8 hour long trilogy. It´s been 5 years since it was halted by the HLP. Why can´t they make a torrent of this and share it with us fans of the books, or something like that? After all, what are they so scared of? It´s not like they´re gonna go to jail for this.
The producers want to become a professional company. Not good to start that out with an IP lawsuit.

Goodnight Golden Path!
gurensan

Post by gurensan »

Omphalos wrote:
Lawliet wrote:I read by one of the makers of this proyect that this fan film is an 8 hour long trilogy. It´s been 5 years since it was halted by the HLP. Why can´t they make a torrent of this and share it with us fans of the books, or something like that? After all, what are they so scared of? It´s not like they´re gonna go to jail for this.
The producers want to become a professional company. Not good to start that out with an IP lawsuit.
Booooo. I'm sure about a couple of the casting choices (Feyd needed to be more cut, but otherwise he's good, and I just didn't pitch a tent over Margot and Jessica), but it looks like the best casting call to date!

I still want to see at least the trailer.
If you fart in the wilderness, and a bear eats you before you can smell it, does it matter if it makes an odor?
WolfgangMercury

Post by WolfgangMercury »

I'd do anything to see the Spanish fan film. The Herbert estate is monstrous for what they did to the people who made it. Unforgivable.
"We've lost that clear, single-note of living. If it cannot be bottled, beaten, pointed or hoarded, we give it no value."

Emperor Muad'dib, Dune Messiah