Dune Movie/TV Comeback

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Naib

Dune Movie/TV Comeback

Post by Naib »

I don't think I'll get too excited just yet, but maybe there is some hope on the horizon.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/dune-is-about-to ... 1789227586
georgiedenbro

Re: Dune Movie/TV Comeback

Post by georgiedenbro »

"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

Just saw this and came right here to see what I could find out. I'll keep an eye on this of course but I am worried about hearing that they might be having Brian and Kevin as producers. Hopefully they will aim for a Game of Thrones style series and have minimal changes to the book. I wonder who they will be looking to cast.
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Laphtiya wrote: they might be having Brian and Kevin as producers
Here's the official Legendary press release:

[col]
LEGENDARY ENTERTAINMENT ACQUIRES RIGHTS TO FRANK HERBERT’S CLASSIC SCI-FI NOVEL DUNE

Burbank, CA – November 21, 2016 - Legendary and the Frank Herbert estate have reached an agreement granting the production entity the film and television motion picture rights to the beloved novel DUNE, one of the most revered science fiction novels of all time. The agreement calls for the development and production of possible film and television projects for a global audience. The projects would be produced by Thomas Tull, Mary Parent and Cale Boyter, with Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt and Kim Herbert serving as executive producers.

The agreement was negotiated by Mike Ross and Jen Grazier on behalf of Legendary and Marcy Morris and Barry Tyerman of JTWAMMK on behalf of the Herbert family.
|[/col]

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

At least there's no mention of Keith.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Naib

Post by Naib »

Small mercies.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Don't believe their subterfuge. The HLP will bring him in to "tune up" the scripts.

Bet on the fuckers fucking it up.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Omphalos wrote:Don't believe their subterfuge. The HLP will bring him in to "tune up" the scripts.

HLP/Herbert Properties Llc means nothing to Legendary and the giant chinese corporation behind the studio.
Frank Herbert himself knew he was powerless to do anything except giving some pieces of advice to the DeLaurentiis crew...
"Executive producer" is just a courtesy title without no "droit de regard", "right of inspection" or any "final cut" prerogative ...
I would be very surprised if the Herbert Estate was really involved in the pre-production development.
3 P-O

Post by 3 P-O »

Did the HLP have any say in the Scifi Channel miniseries? I vaguely remember Brian Herbert mentioning in some interview that the director did not let him interfere. But then again much of the damage was still undone at that time.

But here's hoping something good will come out of this. Still... how many times has this been tried now?
"They tried and failed, all of them?"
"Oh, no." She shook her head. "They tried and died."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I liked the mini series a lot. What they need is a magical screen writer.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Freakzilla wrote:I liked the mini series a lot. What they need is a magical screen writer.
I liked it too, but what I don't want is more of the same - or worse, a CGI-fest. I wonder what a new production of Dune would hope to accomplish that the others didn't. I do feel that some of the core of Dune was touched on in part by both Lynch's film (the love aspect) and the miniseries (the Fremen culture aspect, to an extent), but unless the screenwriter is a real Dune fan I'm not sure they'll do much more than vaguely tell the plot while missing the important things. Jodorowsky's film was all set to accomplish basically the opposite of Frank's story, in making Paul the great messiah who saves mankind. I don't have much faith that anyone in Hollywood would have the guts to make a film that shows Paul ultimately failing in his objective of preventing the jihad.

Any Orthodox Herbertarians in the film production business? If it was a stage play I might direct it sometime, but I'm not in film.
Naib

Post by Naib »

Freakzilla wrote:I liked the mini series a lot. What they need is a magical screen writer.
But the hats. The hats! Dear god why the hats?
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Naib wrote:
But the hats. The hats! Dear god why the hats?
:clap:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The Lynch costume crew spent six months designing HATS FOR FREMEN, a nocturnal people. And we couldn't have Jamis' funeral. Bastards! Don't get me started on the hats.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

ᴶᵛᵀᴬ wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Don't believe their subterfuge. The HLP will bring him in to "tune up" the scripts.

HLP/Herbert Properties Llc means nothing to Legendary and the giant chinese corporation behind the studio.

Frank Herbert himself knew he was powerless to do anything except giving some pieces of advice to the DeLaurentiis crew...

"Executive producer" is just a courtesy title without no "droit de regard", "right of inspection" or any "final cut" prerogative ...

I would be very surprised if the Herbert Estate was really involved in the pre-production development.
Nothing is set in stone. I may have overstated it when I typed "HLP." That was done out of lingering hatred. But a "million-selling-Dune-Hack" could wiggle his way into some script tunings. Especially with a monster like Dune that is going to need some work. That's all I was saying.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Just hope they won't screw it up completely :pray:
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Anyone have any hopes for specific scenes to be included in a new Dune film? Two come to mind for me that are among my favorite scenes in the book but would be hard to shoehorn into a simplified screenplay:

-The scene between Thufir and Jessica, where she demonstrates Voice to him for the first time.
-The scene between Fenring and the Baron on Giedi Prime, where Fenring interrogates the Baron and suspects him of being wise to how the Sardaukar are trained.

So much nuance and innuendo to these scenes. I don't even know how they'd be directed, but I'd be thrilled if either of them made an appearance.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

All of them
~Pink Snowman
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Today, the French-Canadian director announces he will meet with Legendary producers . . .
    Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I haven't seen anything he's directed.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Naib

Post by Naib »

Who is this director?
    ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

I think it's him ...
    [facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/JacurutuForum/posts/892520310884722[/facebookpost][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMo3UJ4B4g[/youtube]
    georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

After "Arrival" he'll probably have a lot of sway picking his next project, so for those of us who want to see Dune on the big screen I guess this is good news.
    Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I would like to see that. Might wait for home video though.
    ~Pink Snowman
    ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Translated from the french interview :
      When I finished Prisoners, my producer asked me what I wanted to do after that and I answered "Dune". This is my favorite science fiction novel, it haunted my teenage years, I did not like the adaptation of Lynch - even if he is a huge filmmaker. I read a script but did not like it. If ever I have the privilege of being able to try, it will be under certain conditions. But yes, I would love ... I do not know their expectations, but we will meet and discuss, for sure. It is a great dream for me.