Director Denis Villeneuve hopes to make Dune movie Read more

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Director Denis Villeneuve hopes to make Dune movie Read more

Post by Freakzilla »

http://nerdreactor.com/2016/09/12/direc ... une-movie/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Director Denis Villeneuve is really making a name for himself in Hollywood as of late. His last few films, Prisoners, Enemy and Sicario have all met with overwhelming critical acclaim and his new science fiction film, Arrival, is following suit with early positive reviews. His penchant for making suspenseful psychological thrillers lends itself to sci-fi films like Arrival which is probably why he’s also making a highly-anticipated sequel to Blade Runner. This looks like the start of a trend as he told Variety that it was one of his biggest dreams to make another sci-fi feature: Dune.

“I’m always looking for sci-fi material, and it’s difficult to find original and strong material that’s not just about weaponry,” said Villeneuve. “A longstanding dream of mine is to adapt Dune, but it’s a long process to get the rights, and I don’t think I will succeed. Also I would love It to write something myself. I have two [sci-fi] projects right now that are in very stages. It’s too early to talk about them.”

Many fans would probably welcome a redo of Dune, especially with a director as talented as Villeneuve at the helm. The original film, released in 1984, received many negative reviews, specifically for its confusing screenplay and poor pacing, and was a box-office failure. It’s considered by fans to be a very poor adaptation of an otherwise beloved book series written by Frank Herbert. Even director David Lynch has distanced himself from the project.

Seeing what Villeneuve could do with the series would be intriguing, but, as he says, he still has to go through the difficult task of acquiring the rights to the film. If he managed to get them, though, it wouldn’t be terribly difficult making a better film than the original, considering its reception. For now, if you want to see a Villeneuve sci-fi movie, you can see Arrival when it hits theaters on November 11, 2016.

Read more at http://nerdreactor.com/2016/09/12/direc ... PCmGDs2.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Director Denis Villeneuve hopes to make Dune movie Read more

Post by Omphalos »

I am totally psyched for Arrival. When I saw that title I dismissed it as some shit-awful Charlie Sheen movie remake. But it is actually an adaption of Ted Chaing's fantastic novella Story of Your Life. I cannot fucking wait for this to come out now.

As for him doing Dune....

At this point Ill let anyone try. Its not like Dune will lose any of its cultural significance because someone does a shitty film of it. It's survived worse.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

. . . . a lot of fuss about nothing . . . .

georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

There will come a time when Dune will be taken on again in film/TV. I just hope it's not anytime soon as I don't want a Dune consisting of CGI. Or at least not the CGI that technology right now is generating, because I think it looks like garbage.
    "um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
    Naib

Post by Naib »

Every few years some director says they want to do Dune again. Hope springs eternal I guess...
    Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

I thought Sicario was amazing. One of the best movies I've seen in years. I haven't seen Arrival yet but plan to.

He's doing Blade Runner 2 which I think may be a great choice since Ridley Scott chose to just produce the film.

What could be a great combo for Dune is Scott and Villeneuve if Scott were to show interest in it again. I haven't seen anything about Ridley Scott having any interest in it though.
    The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
    Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
    http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
    Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
    WolfgangMercury

Post by WolfgangMercury »

Haven't heard anything about this director before, but evidently critics speak well of him. It certainly gives me a twinge of hope to consider that he might actually be successful.
    One of my greatest fears is that Dune actually will be produced, but turned into some brainless generic space-action film, even despite the good intentions of the director. Given that Marvel and all that explosions and CGI fluff is huge right now, I would also imagine that to be the best road, financially.
    Still though, I drool at the thought of a well-acted, "Lawrence of Arabia-esque," visually beautiful Dune that melds the brilliant depth of the novel with the desires of the public.
    There's no way to tell at this point. My vision is clouded. All paths lead into darkness.
    "We've lost that clear, single-note of living. If it cannot be bottled, beaten, pointed or hoarded, we give it no value."

Emperor Muad'dib, Dune Messiah
    Freakzilla

Re: Director Denis Villeneuve hopes to make Dune movie Read

Post by Freakzilla »

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Naib

Post by Naib »

First in a series of films. I hope they have the guts to stick to Frank's work only and tell the dumbarse duo to stuff themselves.
    Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Naib wrote:First in a series of films. I hope they have the guts to stick to Frank's work only and tell the dumbarse duo to stuff themselves.
    I have little hope of that. Their pulp was regurgitated AS a movie novelization.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Naib

Post by Naib »

Freakzilla wrote:
    Naib wrote:First in a series of films. I hope they have the guts to stick to Frank's work only and tell the dumbarse duo to stuff themselves.
    I have little hope of that. Their pulp was regurgitated AS a movie novelization.
    Well, we'll probably be able to tell by the time they release the first trailer.

Now, I think we need to start a serious discussion on the direction Villeneuve's use of hats will take. :whistle:
    georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

I am slightly worried about a Dune film, just because of the great opportunity to tell the real story and the possibility that it will be yet another missed chance, forcing Herbert's work to wait god knows how long to see the light of day again. My biggest concern is that editorial license will cause Villeneuve to think he needs to change things in the story to make them 'make sense' or appeal to the audience; my second biggest is that, like Jodorovsky, he'll come up with his own ideas about what the story means that disregard Frank's content.

I sort of wish there was a way to get him to have a meeting in our sietch so we could kind of give him a rundown of the basics to make sure he's on the right track. As the author is no longer alive I hope he doesn't think that going to Brian and KJA would be the best way to do research for the film...
    Naib

Post by Naib »

Perhaps we could twitter him to voice our concerns about relying on anything Brian or Kevin or anyone else might offer. Nothing weird, but just a few notes to let him know that the Dune started and ended with Frank's work. Maybe do it on Frank's next birthday.
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I just saw Arrival on video last week. It was a very, very good adaptation of the short story. He did play games with the narrative, and I think that his changes took some of the punch out of it, but it was over all much less morbid, and was very well done.

Of course, adapting one short story of a largely unknown author is a mighty different thing than adapting Dune.

Goodnight Golden Path!
    Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I watched Arrival last weekend and was thoroughly unimpressed. It did not fill me with hope for a Dune adaptation. Maybe it'd have been better if I'd read it.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Personally I'd love to know what Chig thought about it. He has a good insight on those kinds of stories.

Goodnight Golden Path!
    SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

As if we needed another reason to miss him. :(

I liked Arrival, but I suppose Blade Runner 2049 will give a better indication for this type of story.
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:I watched Arrival last weekend and was thoroughly unimpressed. It did not fill me with hope for a Dune adaptation. Maybe it'd have been better if I'd read it.
    Chiang has a book of short work, and this one, Story of Your Life, is there. In fact I think that's the title of the collection too. "Story of Your Life, and Others."

Goodnight Golden Path!
    Serkanner
    Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Yep. Good thing is I don't have to waste money and time on it because no way I am going to watch it with that hack twins involved.
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Serkanner wrote:
    Yep. Good thing is I don't have to waste money and time on it because no way I am going to watch it with that hack twins involved.
    What an upsetting turn of events. The only hope left is that Villeneuve takes the material seriously enough to read the book and will have the awareness to notice all the garbage that the hacks try to inject into the screenplay. With luck he'll have the balls to change it back to what it should be, as ultimately he will probably have final say on everything and can choose what goes into his film.
    Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

georgiedenbro wrote:
    Serkanner wrote:
    What an upsetting turn of events. The only hope left is that Villeneuve takes the material seriously enough to read the book and will have the awareness to notice all the garbage that the hacks try to inject into the screenplay. With luck he'll have the balls to change it back to what it should be, as ultimately he will probably have final say on everything and can choose what goes into his film.
    I believe he said in another recent interview that he was going back to the book for this movie.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Fuck me. I fucking pegged this years ago. Jerks.

Goodnight Golden Path!
    distrans

Post by distrans »

2049 wasn't that good...