I watched 1984's DUNE last night. It's still terrible.

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Naïve mind

Re: I watched 1984's DUNE last night. It's still terrible.

Post by Naïve mind »

Freakzilla wrote:To put things in context, the only movies full length movies David Lynch directed before Dune were Eraserhead, a cult "midnight movie", and The Elephant Man, a commercial and critical success. The extent of his weirdness was yet to be fully revealed.
Wait, are you saying Dune was weirder than Eraserhead?
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Naïve mind wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:To put things in context, the only movies full length movies David Lynch directed before Dune were Eraserhead, a cult "midnight movie", and The Elephant Man, a commercial and critical success. The extent of his weirdness was yet to be fully revealed.
Pugs, Aardvarks, dancing dead Chickens... They're all the same.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:
Naïve mind wrote:
Pugs, Aardvarks, dancing dead Chickens... They're all the same.
No, of course not. It's more like Blue Velvet weird, which came next.

DON'T LOOK AT ME! :x
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Never watched BV, ya recommend it?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

inhuien wrote:Never watched BV, ya recommend it?
Hell yea. I really liked that one. Can't go wrong with a tweaked out Dennis Hopper.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Post by lotek »

(on Dennis Hopper, I went to see the Lost Album Exhibition not long ago, pretty cool stuff. And there is a website that lists all DH related exhibitions http://dennishopper.com/exhibitions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
Spice is the worm's gonads.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Saw a Lynch interview years ago, when asked what Hopper had been huffing in BV, Lynch said oxygen.
He wanted the character to be whacked out when his brain started working better. I've found this tidbit
enhances my memory of the story.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
lotek

Post by lotek »

I saw that movie when I was very young, and I loved it.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Last night I watched the Alternate Edition V.2 fan edit, by Spicedriver. I have to say that I prefer the other full versions such as the director's cut, or the super-mega complete version (of which there are several). I felt that the inclusion of certain deleted scenes took away from both the movie's focus and also some of them were just bad. It's hard to remember exactly without a side-by-side comparison, but I thought some of the Rabban scenes were useless, the scenes of Ramallo rambling were weird, the deleted Alia scene just strange to be strange, and the intro didn't flow well.

For my part I'd have to say this version isn't the best, although a few of the newly added scenes are good, such as the alternate ending.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

What was the alternate ending?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Freakzilla wrote:What was the alternate ending?
I hope I'm remembering correctly, but I believe the full scene where Paul takes Irulan as his wife, grants Thufir an honorable end/burial, and where Jessica tells Chani they'll be remembered as wives, wasn't in the original. Here it is (and after it comes the rain scene):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ht-bR5Nb60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

can't watch that clip in Amurica, Home of the Muthafuckin Free.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

This should work;

Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

D Pope wrote:This should work;

I think Kyle gives a more intense performance than Alec Newman when comparing both final scenes (even though this scene was cut). I still don't understand why the Smithee cut left out these other scenes.

In speaking of missing scenes, there was a time when I thought one scene from the Smithee version was missing from the theatrical cut. My brother and I thought that Sting was making fun of Thufir, and started off a silly speech to him by saying: "Well, Thufa! How are you today?" Gradually, we thought he said "Fufa," and my brother and I subsequently used that misunderstanding of Thufir's name as a shared joke. It turned out I misremembered the scene wrong. The line was "Well, Thufir," and the Baron said it, not Sting. It still sounds like he said "Thufa" when I hear it.

Hereby, I suggest that my alternative Fremen name shall be "Well Fufa."
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Pris Stratton

Post by Pris Stratton »

Lynch had an outstanding cast and very much potential. Sure some of the effects weren't so great, but imagine going from painting and having made a few brilliant surreal films to taking on a big project like Dune. At least he tried and captured some incredible visions despite it being a total flop.
But Dune will be a Laurentiis film until the bitter fucking end, Lynch didn't ruin that movie, the Laurentiis family (destroyers of art as Jodorowsky calls them) did.

And besides I personally love Lynch's Dune.
It's a beautiful mess.
"What does a scanner see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Into me - into us - clearly or darkly?"