Naib

New concept art from Lynch's Dune

Post by Naib »

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: New concept art from Lynch's Dune

Post by Freakzilla »

Don't get me started on this... :x
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Dude, the hats are awesome.

Embrace the hats.

Butterfly dress ain't bad either.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

It's only one hat. It's definitely not as bad in comparison to some of Pistek's hats for the miniseries.

Back on topic, I absolutely love the concept art, models, and costumes done for Lynch's Dune. Say what you will about the film itself, but art style employed by the artists for this movie was inspired and unique, and something that I want to replicate in some of my art.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:It's only one hat. It's definitely not as bad in comparison to some of Pistek's hats for the miniseries.
It was a Fremen hat. Six months were spent designing hats... for Fremen... who go outside only at night. :x

Those resources could have been spent on something more important, like the dinner at the Arrakeen mansion, Paul's fight with Jamis and Jamis' funeral.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Freakzilla wrote:
Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:It's only one hat. It's definitely not as bad in comparison to some of Pistek's hats for the miniseries.
It was a Fremen hat. Six months were spent designing hats... for Fremen... who go outside only at night. :x

Those resources could have been spent on something more important, like the dinner at the Arrakeen mansion, Paul's fight with Jamis and Jamis' funeral.
The film did have the last two things involving Jamis (in the Smithee cut, anyway): they just didn't make it fancy enough, I'll give you that.

I would like to think that if they had spent resources for the dinner scene, the result would be less unintentionally humorous than the dinner scene from the Sci-Fi series.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

The film did have the last two things involving Jamis (in the Smithee cut, anyway): they just didn't make it fancy enough, I'll give you that.

I would like to think that if they had spent resources for the dinner scene, the result would be less unintentionally humorous than the dinner scene from the Sci-Fi series.
...or maybe they could have done away with the weirding modules and hired a martial artist... maybe added a musical number. :P
~Pink Snowman
Naib

Post by Naib »

Maybe they could have used the resources to put hoods and face masks on the stillsuits. Maybe for a few more shillings they could have given at least the leads characters jubba cloaks.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Harumph!
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Now, now. They did spend a mint making Prague desert-like.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Freakzilla wrote:
...or maybe they could have done away with the weirding modules and hired a martial artist... maybe added a musical number. :P
They couldn't find a competent enough martial arts choreographer to make the Weirding Way work on film, or at least found a way to film it right. They were too concerned about the film looking like a bad imitation of a low budget kung fu film to risk it, so the sonic powered modules were there instead.

As for a musical number, I'd get either Gene Kelley or Donald O'Connor to choreograph the dancing.

So if I wanted someone to choreograph the fight scene, I'd opt for one of Bruce Lee's best students, or those two dancing guys. :)
Naib wrote:Maybe they could have used the resources to put hoods and face masks on the stillsuits. Maybe for a few more shillings they could have given at least the leads characters jubba cloaks.
The nose tubes worked just fine. If you want the mask and the cloaks, the miniseries version has them. No big loss.
Omphalos wrote:Now, now. They did spend a mint making Prague desert-like.
I thought the miniseries was done in Prague, and the Lynch version was done in Mexico.

EDIT: The miniseries was done in a soundstage in Prague, with the tapestries on the background, which was an interesting approach on the cinematographer's part. Lynch's Dune was done on both the Mexican desert and a soundstage, as I recall. It's true the miniseries guys did well with the resources in Prague, though at times the contrast of the light and color between the tapestries and the sets could be distracting. That, and William Hurt's acting.
Last edited by Jodorowsky's Acolyte on 07 Feb 2014 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Freakzilla wrote:
They couldn't find a competent enough martial arts choreographer to make the Weirding Way work on film, or at least found a way to film it right. They were too concerned about the film looking like a bad imitation of a low budget kung fu film to risk it, so the sonic powered modules were there instead.
Oh, bullshit. All they had to do was have Jessica put Stilgar in a hold (which they did) and mention Paul training the Fremen, later. The Battle of Arrakeen was only shown from the Emperor's point of view, threw a hole in the wall, through a sandstorm in the book.
~Pink Snowman
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Freakzilla wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Oh, bullshit. All they had to do was have Jessica put Stilgar in a hold (which they did) and mention Paul training the Fremen, later. The Battle of Arrakeen was only shown from the Emperor's point of view, threw a hole in the wall, through a sandstorm in the book.
I know, I know. Still, their insecurity got the better with them when they were worried that they couldn't get the fighting choreography right on film. To you, it's obvious what they should have done, to them... well, they didn't have the benefit of having someone like you on their crew to tell them off for not knowing how to get the damn Weirding Way right. :)
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

Am I alone in really liking the Paul/Jamis fight from Lynch's Dune? It may not look fancy compared to today's slow-mo filmed, superbly choreographed, rotoscoped fight scenes but ... that's exactly why I like it. It looks ferocious, clumsy and real.

And yes, Frank Herbert probably coined the trope of super-human reflexes, so you could argue that fights in a Dune movie should be enhanced with effects, but still.

(*) Has anyone seen the (unexpectedly good) film Dredd? If I were in charge of a Dune movie, I'd like the slow-motion effect from that movie to be used throughout.
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Naïve mind wrote:Am I alone in really liking the Paul/Jamis fight from Lynch's Dune? It may not look fancy compared to today's slow-mo filmed, superbly choreographed, rotoscoped fight scenes but ... that's exactly why I like it. It looks ferocious, clumsy and real.

And yes, Frank Herbert probably coined the trope of super-human reflexes, so you could argue that fights in a Dune movie should be enhanced with effects, but still.

(*) Has anyone seen the (unexpectedly good) film Dredd? If I were in charge of a Dune movie, I'd like the slow-motion effect from that movie to be used throughout.
No, you're not the only one, my friend. I myself prefer the scene in the Lynch version over the Paul/Jamis fight from Harrison's Dune, where they just fight in diapers (why couldn't they just wear regular still-underpants?). Admittedly, I find it funny when Jamis in the Lynch Dune (or the Smithee Dune, as he prefers it to be called) is making sound effects while trying to attack Paul, but I rather liked how the actor delivered his lines in that version.

By enhanced with effects, do you mean having the Weirding Way adept Fremen fighting like improved and hardcore versions of Luke Skywalker's Jedi moves from The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, or enhanced as in using a combination of camera tricks and animation to make the Fremen seem faster in their movements? ...Wait a moment, you were talking about the Jamis/Paul fight. I was thinking of the Weirding fight scenes. True that Paul should have used some Weirding abilities in the fight, but I agree that the scene (even if it seems not quite finished) is well done because of the traits you've mentioned. I say the same for the Feyd/Paul scene at the end of the Lynch version.

I'd have to check out that Dredd film you mentioned. My favorite uses of slow motion have been used in The Matrix, Enter the Dragon, A Clockwork Orange, and some clever scenes from the Kung Fu TV series. Specialized slow motion could be what the Weirding Way would need. That, and an instructor in Jeet Kune Do.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I loved Dredd.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Naib

Post by Naib »

Loved Dredd! I read 2000AD and Megazine. Sign the petition to make a sequel.

http://2000adonline.us5.list-manage.com ... 62906ebdcc