Jacurutu Fan Screenplays of Dune?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

lotek

Re: Jacurutu Fan Screenplays of Dune?

Post by lotek »

I think that you'd overlook that, the Harkonnnen are easy to hate and after all, Pau was bringing the. Fremen their dream. I remember being relieved when Jessica realizes she knows the ritual words, because I knew they would have been killed.

And then owning to the Mahdi's mantle meant being able to show the Emperor and the Baron you don't fuck with the Hawk... and I sure wanted revenge, damnit.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
leagued

Post by leagued »

Can we wrap up this particular sub-discussion with the conclusion that the portrayl of Paul in the book is more complicated and nuanced than a traditional hero/villain/or anti-hero role? There is room for varying degrees of interpretation whether you see him as any of those three or a failed hero or something else entirely.
In the wider context of the discussion of how to portray Dune on-screen I think that any good depiction needs to have those same layers of nuance and allow for multiple interpretation of his actions/decisions. This can be done in movies... I know there are some films that I've seen where your understanding of the character is dramatically changed at the end (Memento is one that comes to mind and I know there are others) but I still think you could do it even better in the format of a premier cable show (Rome, Game of Thrones, etc). Giving voice to minor characters throughout can show the impact of Paul's actions. Jessica and Alia would make for good characters who could see through Paul's manipulation of religion and highlight it for the viewer. Likewise you could show the impact Paul's guerrilla war has on the townspeople as the Harkonnens crack down on them, even show the changes in the Fremen as they become more and more dependent on Paul's charismatic leadership.

And I agree, let's have multiple 'thopter designs. I'd think each House would have its own stylings of them.
LeagueD
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Replying to some points ago, I forgot that some Fremen were still at the Shield Wall when the atomics went off. That's the only instance of suicide bombing I have in the novel.

As to how Paul's rise among the Fremen would be portrayed, what if we just narrowed it down to: "Look, guys! I can make bubbles with my spit!" And after he makes his first bubble, they all say "He can make shapes with his water!" and they all start bowing to him and pledging absolute allegiance to him for life. Thence, his super secret nickname is He Who Can Do that Cool Thing With His Water, and the Fremen girls giggle when thinking about his natural water ability.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
lotek

Post by lotek »

leagued wrote:Can we wrap up this particular sub-discussion with the conclusion that the portrayl of Paul in the book is more complicated and nuanced than a traditional hero/villain/or anti-hero role? There is room for varying degrees of interpretation whether you see him as any of those three or a failed hero or something else entirely.
Mmm digressing IS Jacurutu, won't make promises I can't keep.
Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:Replying to some points ago, I forgot that some Fremen were still at the Shield Wall when the atomics went off. That's the only instance of suicide bombing I have in the novel.
I'm not sure that being blown to bits because you were at the wrong place at the wrong time would qualifiy as suicide bombing.
Also, suicide bombing, at least the way I used it, meant to describe someone who's prepared to give his life to further the needs of his people. (how moral that is is debatable but not the point).
And we know that the tribe is paramount for a Fremen, and if his death will protect the tribe then he will give his life. They are fanatics in that respect. (of course the Baron is going a bit overboard when he describes them to the Emperor, but to me this distorted view tells us a lot on how the Fremen fought, even before Paul. So giving them a Messiah that makes the prophecy come to life would only encourage that trait).
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:That's the only instance of suicide bombing I have in the novel.
You need to re-read it:

The captured 'thopter took off with a lurching flap of wings, angled upward
to the south in a steep, wing-tucked climb.
So these Fremen can handle 'thopters, too, Hawat thought.
On the distant dune, a Fremen waved a square of green cloth: once . . .
twice.
"More come!" the Fremen beside Hawat barked. "Be ready. I'd hoped to have us
away without more inconvenience."
Inconvenience! Hawat thought.
He saw two more 'thopters swooping from high in the west onto an area of
sand suddenly devoid of visible Fremen. Only eight splotches of blue--the bodies
of the Sardaukar in Harkonnen uniforms--remained at the scene of violence.
Another 'thopter glided in over the cliff wall above Hawat. He drew in a
sharp breath as he saw it--a big troop carrier. It flew with the slow, spread-
wing heaviness of a full load--like a giant bird coming to its nest.
In the distance, the purple finger of a lasgun beam flicked from one of the
diving 'thopters. It laced across the sand, raising a sharp trail of dust.
"The cowards!" the Fremen beside Hawat rasped.
The troop carrier settled toward the patch of blue-clad bodies. Its wings
crept out to full reach, began the cupping action of a quick stop.
Hawat's attention was caught by a flash of sun on metal to the south, a
'thopter plummeting there in a power dive, wings folded flat against its sides,
its jets a golden flare against the dark silvered gray of the sky. It plunged
like an arrow toward the troop carrier which was unshielded because of the
lasgun activity around it. Straight into the carrier the diving 'thopter
plunged.
A flaming roar shook the basin. Rocks tumbled from the cliff walls all
around. A geyser of red-orange shot skyward from the sand where the carrier and
its companion 'thopters had been--everything there caught in the flame.
It was the Fremen who took off in that captured 'thopter, Hawat thought. He
deliberately sacrificed himself to get that carrier. Great Mother! What are
these Fremen?
"A reasonable exchange," said the Fremen beside Hawat. "There must've been
three hundred men in that carrier.
Last edited by Serkanner on 07 Feb 2013 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Didn't I already post that? :?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Freakzilla wrote:Didn't I already post that? :?
You have? Oh well ... I usually skip what you post :P
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Serkanner wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Didn't I already post that? :?
You have? Oh well ... I usually skip what you post :P
Well, you didn't THIs time. :liar:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Serkanner and Freakzilla: you two guys are too cool for me. I am unworthy to be in the presence of you two uber-cool dudes...

I was pondering if a Dune film can't be done in this decade, how about doing a film about a fictionalized attempt to film Dune? Kind of like how one filmmaker did a mockumentary about a nonexistant film of Tristram Shandy, what if you had a film set in an alternate reality which is an amalgam of both Lynch's and Jodorowsky's approaches? I just had a dream about such a mockumentary, where a glove-like worm bursts from the sand, rips open its mouth, then lies on the sand flailing with caterpillar legs, only to reveal a large winter mitten glove with a hand underneath pretending to be legs. I know, the worms don't need legs, but this is a nonexistant Dune film, so crazy decisions are made.

With such a movie, I could take all the aspects I liked from Lynch's and Jodorowsky's version, but improve upon them and then make up adaptation decisions which are even more exaggeratedly dumb. At the same time, I can include indepth fictionalized discussions about parts of Dune which would or wouldn't work on film. The director, in my mind, would combine traits of David Lynch and Alejandro Jodorowsky, as well as Salvador Dali, Andrei Tarkovsky, and another guy which I haven't figured out yet.

In my dream, it was called The Film of the Suckers, but I bet it could use a better title. How about The Doomed Followers of Mua'dib? And I'm wondering whether it should be set in the 70s or the 80s. Since it's set in an alternate reality, all kinds of scenarios could be considered.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

^ I'd pay to watch that :lol:
lotek

Post by lotek »

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Jodorowsky's Acolyte

lotek wrote:I'd buy that for a dollar.

And when I finally make the film, I'll remind you to give me that dollar in the manner of that funny happy man. :mrgreen:

Back to the topic of the film, maybe this particular TV show episode might lend some inspiration.

Then there's this...

And this...

Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:...

Back to the topic of the film, maybe this particular TV show episode might lend some inspiration.

That's an episode I hadn't seen before. Thanks. :mrgreen:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.