Why is the Herbert Estate Packed with Overzealous Lawyers?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Why is the Herbert Estate Packed with Overzealous Lawyers?

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

You guys understand the mentality of the Herbert Estate better than I do. In some of the threads I've read, whether it's the Spanish DUNE film or the DUNE roleplaying game, there are instances where the Herbert Estate is ready to pounce on something that think is abusing the DUNE license. What is going on with them? Who are these people? How long have they been a part of the Herbert Estate, and why are they so restricting about the DUNE license?
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Why is the Herbert Estate Packed with Overzealous Lawyers?

Post by Omphalos »

As far as I can recall nobody here has ever heard from a Herbert lawyer. But to drill down to the gist of your inane question, it's because they own a valuable asset that they have to protect. Duh!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

The HLP is so terrified that someone is going to take advantage of them without giving the leeches proper compensation that they run every single decision by them, which in effect results in no answers almost 100% of the time.

They don't get marketing, they don't get Frank Herbert fans, they don't get the genre and how it might be enhanced by other products.

The great irony of it all is that they were taken over by the biggest con-man of them all.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
lotek

Post by lotek »

they're a bunch of fuckwits that oppose everything because anything is better than mcdune
Spice is the worm's gonads.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I'm pretty sure it's these guys who issue to takedowns/C&Ds - IIRC it was for the Second Life case.

http://www.tridentmediagroup.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

What they are is a bunch of fuck-wits who are ill-prepared to have something in their posession as big as Dune. They think that they have to go to major extremes to protect it, because it's something that is bigger then any of their puny little minds can comprehend. They are over-compensating, kind of like a lottery-winner who dismisses all of his friends, thinking that they now just want him for his money.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

You got it.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
lotek

Post by lotek »

I got they are fuckwits.
I helped !
:lol:
Spice is the worm's gonads.