How the failed Dune movie you never saw gave birth to Promet

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

cmsahe

How the failed Dune movie you never saw gave birth to Promet

Post by cmsahe »

Hi guys, I thought this note could be of your interestm in the video they interview Alejandro Jodorowsky

How the failed Dune movie you never saw gave birth to Prometheus

http://blastr.com/2012/06/watch-the-premiere-episod.php

http://blastr.com/2012/06/watch-the-premiere-episod.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
lotek

Re: How the failed Dune movie you never saw gave birth to Promet

Post by lotek »

interesting, but where's Frank ^^
http://blastr.com/pics/prometheus_famil ... l_size.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spice is the worm's gonads.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

It's a simplified graphic - Frank was barely involved in the Jodorowsky attempt.

Hell, they didn't even mention Ridley's Dune attempt (which Frank was slightly more involved with) following Alien (despite showing the willyworm art).
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Speaking of Jodorowsky, what has become of the documentary detailing the filled film attempt? It was mentioned that it was shown as Cannes film festival, but when will it be released on DVD.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
lotek

Post by lotek »

DuneFishUK wrote:It's a simplified graphic - Frank was barely involved in the Jodorowsky attempt.

Hell, they didn't even mention Ridley's Dune attempt (which Frank was slightly more involved with) following Alien (despite showing the willyworm art).

yeah I was just being picky here, since as much as I like Jodorowsky I don't think I would have liked his vision of Dune but hey why call ourselves Orthodox Herbertarians if not to be a bit orthodox once in a while ^^
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:It's a simplified graphic - Frank was barely involved in the Jodorowsky attempt.

yeah I was just being picky here, since as much as I like Jodorowsky I don't think I would have liked his vision of Dune but hey why call ourselves Orthodox Herbertarians if not to be a bit orthodox once in a while ^^
I agree, Jodorowsky would have just pissed me off. I'm sure it would have been even more trippy than Lynch, too.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

It wouldn't have been Dune... but it would have been monumentally awesome. :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

on that we agree.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Let's face it, it couldn't be worse than what's been done to Dune by the Hack.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

Bi-lal kaifa, brother !

And also, there is a major difference, Jodorowsky is a genius so if we don't understand it's us not him.

When we don't understand the UltraSmug it's because he makes no sense.
Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

It´s impossible to make a good Dune movie, because the book can´t fit in 2 hours. And to be honest, a 3 part Dune film sounds incredible tedious. I think a tv show would be much appropiate.
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

lotek

Post by lotek »

The existing one was pretty good in respecting the story, but Lynch did capture the visuals best imo.
I guess a mix between the two would have been perfect.

I reckon a good animated series is the way to go, it'd allow for a series format while giving some leeway for special effects, voice overs and the likes.

I guess I should go and see Prometheus.

A friend of mine went and said she liked it but she was worried she forgot most of the Alien storylines.
Was it here I read you actually didn't need to remember them and that it was better seen as a stand alone ?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I heard it was originally intended to be a prequel but ended us as just 'being in the same universe'. (I haven't seen it yet.)
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

that would explain it then.

I really should go and see it.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The film began development in the early 2000s as a fifth entry in the Alien franchise, with both Scott and director James Cameron developing ideas for a film that would serve as a prequel to Scott's 1979 science fiction horror film Alien. By 2003, the project was sidelined by the development of Alien vs. Predator, and remained dormant until 2009 when Scott again showed interest. A script by Spaihts acted as a prequel to the events of the Alien films, but Scott opted for a different direction to avoid repeating cues from those films. In late 2010, he brought Lindelof onto the project to rewrite Spaihts' script, and together they developed a separate story that precedes the story of Alien but is not directly connected to that franchise. According to Scott, though the film shares "strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak", and takes place in the same universe, Prometheus explores its own mythology and ideas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_(film)
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

http : / / en. wikipedia .org/wiki /Prometheus _(film

you forgot the last ")" in your link (well CTRL V forgot more like it)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:oops:

I just copy & pasted the link without tags around it... lazy.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

my desk was ruffled by workers over the week end, so I'm easily confused today.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I found Prometheus to be pretty disappointing. The plot doesn't make much sense and the scientists... are not the brightest bunch of the lot. I didn't find it suspenseful except for one scene involving Noomi (you'll know the scene without me describing it).

After you watch the movie, check out this link (http://shar.es/swRX0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Sums the movie up quite nicely.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
lotek

Post by lotek »

I couldn't resist and I read it anyway.
Had some good laughs et decided I'd wait for the russian screener ^^
gurensan

Post by gurensan »

I heard all the same stuff. I still might go see it at a $5 matinee. I like cheap movies.
If you fart in the wilderness, and a bear eats you before you can smell it, does it matter if it makes an odor?
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Fun fact: You remember the Baron Harkonnen fortress which Giger drew which was based upon the Baron's own image?

Well, it's reused as the Pyramid (sort of) in PROMETHEUS which houses the primordial bacterial pre-facehugger/pre-xenomorph parasites. A bit of an ode to Giger's pre-ALIEN artwork, I should say.

I still would like to see Jodorowsky's DUNE developed as an interactive movie for computers.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
ᴶᵛᵀᴬ
Joseph-Vintimille Tariki Askaris

Post by ᴶᵛᵀᴬ »

Really ?! I can't believe it ! Woww ! :liar:
    Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    ۞ Shaihuludata gigantica Gratia, Fidei defensor ۞