Dune CCG

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Michelangelo

Dune CCG

Post by Michelangelo »

Has anyone played the old Dune CCG? I know it stopped after only a few expansion sets, but I'm a bit tempted to order the starting set to play with all the same.
Rymoah

Re: Dune CCG

Post by Rymoah »

If you know where to find the starting set, send me a distrans! :D

Kidding aside, it is really hard to find this game, especially the starter decks which are necessary to play (because on the back of the boxes are the starting locations, and they are cards themselves!). In the last months I managed to buy only three starter decks (one Harkonnen and two Spice Miners): for the others, I decided to buy the fixed cards singularly from hacards.com (those which you can find only in their specific starter decks), and to print the starting location on simple paper: at least, you don't have to shuffle them in your deck, so they can be easily proxied!

About your question, three sets has been sold by Last Unicorn from 1997 to 2001: Eye of the Storm, Judge of the Change and Thunder at Twilight. Each set follows the story of the first book to a certain point (for example, Judge of the Change is focused during the change of feud on Arrakis, when the Atreides arrive at Arrakeen). Each player is the head of a minor House which is "sponsored" by one of the Great Houses (Atreides, Harkonnen, Corrino) or other relevant factions (Spacing Guild, Fremen, Bene Gesserit, Spice Miners, Water Sellers, Smugglers). The aim of the game is to gain enough spice and favour (=popularity), in order to enter the Landsraad and become a Great House. In between there is a bunch of treachery, combats, spice production, political maneuvers that are driven by the various cards played... The rules are very complicated, indeed (but hey, we're talking about Dune, would you expect something less? ;) )

Hope that helps. :)

Rymoah
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I have a bunch of these. Nothing from any of the expansions, just the initial release. At the moment they are all boxed up in storage. If I get a chance I can dig them out at some later point.

Rob
Rymoah

Post by Rymoah »

One more thing: if you're interested in evaluating the game before purchasing the cards, you can download the LackeyCCG software, which include a Dune plugin (only for the first set, Eye of the Storm) ;)

Rymoah
gurensan

Post by gurensan »

I played this for a while just before the first expansion came out. It was OK, but my friends and I quit after one of them built the ultimate deck.

I'm working on another one just for fun. I'll test it with LackeyCCG but I'm using Magic Set Editor to lay out the cards. Putting together a template for it is a beeetch.

I literally just threw out the original cards this past September. I had a lot of Atreides and Fremen stuff (my fave). No one at all wanted them and I had no room to pack them for moving.
If you fart in the wilderness, and a bear eats you before you can smell it, does it matter if it makes an odor?