Dune References in (Un)Popular Media

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Dune References in (Un)Popular Media

Post by Omphalos »

merkin muffley wrote:
Omphalos wrote:That is a lot of work, man.
Don't you put a shitload of work into this forum?

All you'd need is a couple hundred dollar mic set-up. (If you're worried about costs I know a couple podcasters who have setups that work very well but did not cost them much at all - (Dylan Schuck @schuckster on Twitter) - and ask him how he does it on a shoestring budget. But Nekhrun, I would wager, would know exactly how to set this up.

Be in a room with blankets to deaden the sound. It can also be done remotely from two different locations.
2 guys to break down the first Dune book, in one hour segments.

The subject matter may seem obvious to to you, but your audience is the person who's only read the book once or twice, or is in the midst of reading it. Or someone like me, who doesn't have a very in-depth understanding or memory of the books in comparison to you guys, and hasn't read them in a while, but would like to revisit them.

Talk about all of the great ideas and the depth of the characters, the implied backstories, (without spoiling the next episodes).

Do all of the real Dune books first, and make references to the Dune Encyclopedia.

I think people would love it.

Your costs are your hosting fees and bandwidth. Put it on Sticher and eventually get it on iTunes. It wouldn't be that hard to do.

merkin muffley wrote:How about Nebiros? Nebiros, will you do it, please?
I stand corrected. This is an amazing idea.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Naib

Post by Naib »

Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

merkin muffley wrote:How about Nebiros? Nebiros, will you do it, please?
After all these years, you ask something of me? Why now?

Sorry to disappoint you but I no longer have the means to upload videos.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

What happened to the vlog Nebiros? I lost the link, but aren't you doing that vlog any longer?

Goodnight Golden Path!
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

Omphalos wrote:What happened to the vlog Nebiros? I lost the link, but aren't you doing that vlog any longer?
I am having technical issues with the old computer I used to upload videos with. This laptop does not upload videos in the same way.

I still upload a video occasionally during 'windows of opportunity' so to speak. Here is the link to my Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Nebiros21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Recently Star Citizen added some planetary work.

https://youtu.be/XuDj5v81Nd0?t=1h54m13s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While I feel like Sandworms in the desert might be getting played out, this is one of the better one's I've seen. And of course being both a massive Dune and Star Citizen fanboy has nothing to do with it....
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Aquila ka-Hecate

Post by Aquila ka-Hecate »

I can't be the only one who's noted the resemblance of Donald Trump's mouth to that of a Guild Navigator (3rd level) in the Lynch film, can I?
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Speaking of Trump, I mean Drumph...
http://hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=resin-master-%252d-archbaron-drumpf-spaceclad~hfmaster-sf135&category=sci%252dfi-%26%0D%0Aweird-war~%2Anew-sci%252dfi%2A wrote:Archbaron Gloosus von Drumpf is an overlord of the Akulian Empire. While he rules with a tiny iron fist he is not respected and keep his power by sheer ruthlessness. His corpulent form is prime breeding ground for the many disease on his desert planet and he is forced to spend daily treatments floating in his healing tank to try to keep ahead of them. Due to this practise, and the many workers, nurses and slaves that have seen it, the most popular insult whispered around the slums of the city roughly translates to "As smart as his penis is large".

Seen here naked and floating.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Naib

Post by Naib »

Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10 ... rm-driven/
Cpt. Aramsham

Post by Cpt. Aramsham »

From the Glenn Howerton sitcom A.P. Bio: a teacher is trying to attract a janitor by leaving behind an artful collection of "seductive junk", including a book every guy likes:

georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

In relation to the above photo, I have a minor story from around 10 years ago along the same lines. I was going on a date with someone from a web dating site who I had never met before, but she had access to my list of books I like, etc. So we show up at the neutral meeting point and she arrives with Heretics of Dune in hand. I was surprised and asked her if she was a Herbert fan, and she replied with a no, but brought it because she thought I liked Dune books. But she didn't bring it to give it to me, just to show she was aware that I liked them. I felt bad but took a moment to point out that it wasn't the first book in the series, in case she was going to be inclined to try to read it, but it was sort of clear she had no intention of doing anything with it other than using it as an advertisement that she was 'into' stuff I liked. I hadn't thought about that for a long time but was reminded by the above picture.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

georgiedenbro wrote:In relation to the above photo, I have a minor story from around 10 years ago along the same lines. I was going on a date with someone from a web dating site who I had never met before, but she had access to my list of books I like, etc. So we show up at the neutral meeting point and she arrives with Heretics of Dune in hand. I was surprised and asked her if she was a Herbert fan, and she replied with a no, but brought it because she thought I liked Dune books. But she didn't bring it to give it to me, just to show she was aware that I liked them. I felt bad but took a moment to point out that it wasn't the first book in the series, in case she was going to be inclined to try to read it, but it was sort of clear she had no intention of doing anything with it other than using it as an advertisement that she was 'into' stuff I liked. I hadn't thought about that for a long time but was reminded by the above picture.
That's really weird. I hope that was a red flag for you! :lol:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
georgiedenbro wrote:In relation to the above photo, I have a minor story from around 10 years ago along the same lines. I was going on a date with someone from a web dating site who I had never met before, but she had access to my list of books I like, etc. So we show up at the neutral meeting point and she arrives with Heretics of Dune in hand. I was surprised and asked her if she was a Herbert fan, and she replied with a no, but brought it because she thought I liked Dune books. But she didn't bring it to give it to me, just to show she was aware that I liked them. I felt bad but took a moment to point out that it wasn't the first book in the series, in case she was going to be inclined to try to read it, but it was sort of clear she had no intention of doing anything with it other than using it as an advertisement that she was 'into' stuff I liked. I hadn't thought about that for a long time but was reminded by the above picture.
Don't know what's happenin in Georgia, but dude, that means "GO!" but deal with teh krazy later.

An no telling me that you've gotten so old that you've stopped seeing it that way.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
Don't know what's happenin in Georgia, but dude, that means "GO!" but deal with teh krazy later.

An no telling me that you've gotten so old that you've stopped seeing it that way.
I've been with the same woman for about three years so I guess I've gotten comfortable with a very low level of craziness.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
georgiedenbro wrote:

Hah! Between the two I went with the "red flag!" side of things. Actually I wouldn't have minded the crazy since I had already dated crazy people but the problem was more that I was bored. That's much worse than crazy...
Last edited by georgiedenbro on 23 Apr 2018 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
distrans

Post by distrans »

the influence on myself felt as such as things frank brought to life leads me to when their noticed to smile and despises of such arbitratant things having a hold on me

such as this

every time i recall the recent film it doesnt fail me to recall what a pile of shit that rag was

as it you could connected me with those characters...
Naib

Post by Naib »

pcqypcqy

Post by pcqypcqy »

Naib wrote:Image

lol.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Best president since Reagan.
~Pink Snowman
Naib

Post by Naib »

Putin?
Naib

Post by Naib »

georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Cool find! But now that I think of it, did FH ever say that? I just checked and Paul mentions "the sleeper" once in Dune, and not the quote attributed in the tweet to FH. It's just from Lynch's screenplay, right?
Naib

Post by Naib »

georgiedenbro wrote:
Cool find! But now that I think of it, did FH ever say that? I just checked and Paul mentions "the sleeper" once in Dune, and not the quote attributed in the tweet to FH. It's just from Lynch's screenplay, right?
Yeah, I think he's just referencing the film. He's probably read the book, but I guess the film quote worked for him.
Naib

Post by Naib »

More Elon Musk, but this is a bit of a non sequitur.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1012603171774984192
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Yes, it's from the movie. Paul does mention a sleeper within himself to Jessica while he's freaking out about what a freak he is.
~Pink Snowman