Dune References in (Un)Popular Media

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Re: Dune References in (Un)Popular Media

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

One of the latest Venture Bros. episodes, "S.P.H.I.N.X. Rising", put an awesome DUNE reference in, alongside some awesome parodies of Cobra from GI Joe.
Twenty-One: I'm recruiting now, Grandpa, so bite me.

Hatred: Whip the little guy out. I'll go get Doc's microscope.

Twenty-One: Oh, I got a Shai-Hulud down here. There's a Paul Maud'dib riding this worm, my friend.
Gary's a former henchman for the butterfly supervillain The Monarch, and who was handed down the alternative secret headquarters of dissidents of a SHIELD/GI Joe parody organization, who used the name of an Cobra parody known as S.P.H.I.N.X. If not for the DUNE references, just watch the episode for how they parody Cobra Commander. S.P.H.I.N.X. Commander sounds just like him, and he's fucking hilarious.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Someone posted this link on the OH FB page:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-576 ... r-cosplay/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bless the Maker and His water.
Bless the coming and going of Him.
May His passage cleanse the world.
May He keep the world for His people.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Is that a boy-Fremen or a girl-Fremen that is getting eaten?

Actually, is that a Fremen or some sort of Furry that is getting eaten?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Post by lotek »

It's a muad'dib Furry.

Spice is the worm's gonads.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:Is that a boy-Fremen or a girl-Fremen that is getting eaten?

Actually, is that a Fremen or some sort of Furry that is getting eaten?
Looks like a half-assed cat costume, she deserves to be eaten.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Check out the center word.

This is from my mom's game from 1990.
~Pink Snowman
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

When the sequel to Jak and Daxter was made, the creators decided to make the game a little more serious and darker. It was still a comedy, but it was set in a dystopian future instead of a lush and silly island setting. They also incorporated a little bit of Dune into Jak II. The villain is referred to as the Baron, he and his soldiers dress up in red (I know the Harkonnens are supposed to be in blue, but both the RTS game and the miniseries made them red). The Baron villain is not fat... but that doesn't mean that there isn't a floating fat man character in this game.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to introduce you to a very Baron Harkonnen-like figure (though more of a smuggler, organized crime type instead of a powerful noble type), Krew.

He likes to pet fuzzy things.

The description of him is in the article.

http://jakanddaxter.wikia.com/wiki/Krew
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkkxFIojAFY

For those who are unfamiliar with Devo or with this video, this particular video was made by Devo for a post-apocalyptic low-budget movie directed by Neil Young, titled Human Highway.

The Dune connection comes from the band's nose tubes which are connected into their work helmets. I'm not quite sure if the tubes are being used to recycle something from their heads, or as a breathing apparatus. Otherwise, it's pretty Dune-ish.

P.S. I tried using the You Tube function around the link, but it doesn't turn into a video. It just has the URL with the [You Tube] [\You Tube] around it. Might need to check it out.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

~Pink Snowman
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Freakzilla wrote:Image
Freak, your a Devo-tee after my own heart.

General Boy: At first this information was suppressed, but now it could be told. Ever Fremen Man, Woman, and Worm-Human Hybrid on this planet shall know the truth about Dune De-evolution.

Booji Boy: Oh, Dad! All of Dune's gone Devo!

(Cut to Devo band members wearing masks resembling the faces of BH and KJA, and playing a Devo cover of "To Tame a Land.")
Crizius

Post by Crizius »

Far Cry 4 features a rebellion called 'The Golden Path'.
Last edited by Crizius on 19 Jan 2020 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Remember the alamo!
lotek

Post by lotek »

Ha ha

Naib

Post by Naib »

The God-Emperor Loves Children:

Naib

Post by Naib »

D Pope

Post by D Pope »

The SciFri Book Club Talks ‘Dune’

http://sciencefriday.com/segment/08/22/ ... -dune.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...about 17 minutes, a little depressing.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

I recently finished the King Piccolo sage of the original Dragon Ball series (not to be confused by its more badass sequel, Dragon Ball Z), and something very Dune-ish happened. Goku was trying to find the Ultra Sacred Water somewhere in an icy maze so that he would unlock more of his power to fight King Piccolo, the demonic dark side of a holy alien guardian of Earth. When he earns the right to drink it, he discovers that 13 people have already drunk it, and none of them survived. It's poisonous, like the Water of Life, and it brings a new awareness to the special one who drinks it, like the Water of Life. Goku drinks it, and after some pain, his inner saiyan gorilla monster power was tapped. After surviving, his talking cat mystic master thought to himself "Could he be the one?" I don't recall Goku being prophesied as the equivalent of a Kwisatz Haderach, but he does become stronger, and stronger, and stronger, and super stronger, and then he dies, and his children becomes super stronger and stronger, and then the Earth explodes...

It does get rather Dune-ish in that whenever the hero gets stronger, worse things happen, and the weaker heroes don't even train because they depend upon the hero to do the saving.

Another interesting thing is that the Piccolo saga seems to predate the plot of The Dark Knight Rises. King Piccolo promises all manner of criminals to live life freely.
Cpt. Aramsham

Post by Cpt. Aramsham »

D Pope wrote:The SciFri Book Club Talks ‘Dune’

http://sciencefriday.com/segment/08/22/ ... -dune.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for the link. They've had a whole series on it, currently accessible at http://sciencefriday.com/bookclub" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The first part is here: http://sciencefriday.com/blogs/07/21/20 ... ?series=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Cpt. Aramsham wrote:
D Pope wrote:The SciFri Book Club Talks ‘Dune’

Thanks for the link. They've had a whole series on it, currently accessible at http://sciencefriday.com/bookclub" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The first part is here: http://sciencefriday.com/blogs/07/21/20 ... ?series=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Was any of it better than their summary? I'll give it a listen if it's not mostly some author I'd
never heard of bragging about how much better he is.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Cpt. Aramsham

Post by Cpt. Aramsham »

The first part is a very reasonable introductory discussion of the various themes and "selling points" of the novel (ecology, giant sandworms, spice=oil, Lawrence of Arabia and the Middle East, drugs and the book's cult status related to 60s counter culture, etc.), and all the participants sound pretty enthusiastic about it.

Kim Stanley Robinson is a pretty well-known SF author, whether or not you have heard of him. In the first episode he talks knowledgeably about how Dune fits into sci-fi tradition (he mentions Cordwainer Smith, Jack Vance, Asimov and Heinlein) and what sets it apart. I haven't listened to the last installment, but personally I think it should be interesting to hear how a modern SF writer relates to the legacy of Dune, for better and for worse.

I love the book, but it definitely has its... limitations. To take one example that I haven't seen many people discuss, Dune adopts a very elite perspective, with minimal consideration of the lived experience of the regular person, and the impact of events on them, except in the abstract. That's fine, one book cannot be all things, and the book would probably be worse if it also tried to cram in the story of, say, some prole in Arrakeen. But it's fair to point it out as a shortcoming. And if those shortcomings give rise to other books in reaction, so much the better!
Cpt. Aramsham

Post by Cpt. Aramsham »

OK, just listened to the conclusion, and again, I didn't really have a problem with it at all. KSR does not "brag about how much better he is"; he offers a (generally positive) critique of Frank Herbert's writing, as a fellow writer. He singled out the omniscient narrator/floating third-person POV, and although he said it felt a bit "pulpy", he was also impressed with how well it worked in the context of the book. Since apparently English lit professors and writing workshops hate this device, I'm very happy that he was nevertheless able to recognize that Herbert uses it effectively.

I also thought one of the women (Sarah?) brought up a couple of great points about how the degree of treachery in the universe is related to it being a single-crop economy: it's a winner-take-all system, which naturally leads to ruthlessness. (Contrary to what she says, I don't think this is explicitly articulated in the book itself.) And also the idea of linking it to the addiction theme, just because it's fun to think of the characters as junkies doing whatever it takes to secure their fix.

Overall, I liked it! It's not meant for those of us who practically know the book by heart, of course, but as a way to encourage people to read or reread it for the first time, I think it works very well.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Producer Options ‘Soul Catcher’ By ‘Dune’ Author Frank Herbert

http://deadline.com/2014/08/frank-herbe ... ie-819682/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Villard negotiated for a year with the Herbert estate and next is looking to attach a
director whose vision can steer the character-driven piece.
-Omphalos
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

“Dune” Endures

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/dune-endures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"...the novel has produced a cottage industry of sequels, prequels, and spin-offs,
the production of which only accelerated after Herbert’s death in 1986."

:lol:
-Omphalos
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

D Pope wrote:“Dune” Endures

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/dune-endures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"...the novel has produced a cottage industry of sequels, prequels, and spin-offs,
the production of which only accelerated after Herbert’s death in 1986."

:lol:
Miss the point much?
newyorker wrote: Herbert was heavily influenced by Zen Buddhism, and the text of “Dune” is full of koans. One of the most frequently quoted lines from the novel is that “Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife—chopping off what’s incomplete and saying: ‘Now, it’s complete because it’s ended here.’ ” If only Herbert had heeded this advice and allowed his singular novel to stand alone.