Dune References in (Un)Popular Media

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

JustSomeGuy

Re: Dune References in (Un)Popular Media

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Superjail! "The Superjail Six"

-Quick! Take ze suicide pills in your false tooth, unt spare yourselves ze pain!
-We don’t have those!
-Ha! Sure you do! I do ALL sorts of stuff to you guys when you’re asleep..

-Auf Wiedersehen!!

I bring nothing to the table.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I doubt that the poison tooth is a Herbert invention. They were using that in spy novels way back in the day.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

That show is really weird and creepy, like a bad acid trip.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Omphalos wrote:I doubt that the poison tooth is a Herbert invention. They were using that in spy novels way back in the day.
Yeah, man, you’re right- but the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this scene was Dune. Was it what the writers had in mind? Hmm… I just don’t know, but it’s what came to my mind, and it was a nice little surprise. Well, it was David Lynch’s Dune that came to mind, but that’s alright. His movie made a big impression on me when I was a kid, and it got me to read Dune, and I fell in love with Frank Herbert’s series.
Dune is one of the few books that I have ever bought. Aside from Dune, well… I got my mom to buy me a book when I was a little kid ‘cause it had this awesome dragon on the cover- breathing fire! And some dude was riding it!! It was a Dragonlance book, and I read those for a while, until, eventually, I just couldn’t stand them anymore. Hmm… I think I bought a book based off the DC universe once, again because it looked cool, and the back cover blurb was alright, and it seemed alright. That’s all I can think of, really. I’m not the type to buy anything when I can get it for free, but I bought Dune, having already read it, just to have it, and then I gave it away to a friend, but I’m not sure he appreciated it. I kinda wish I had kept it now.. Wow, that was a long response! Anyway, yeah, you’re right.
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

Freakzilla wrote:That show is really weird and creepy, like a bad acid trip.
I agree.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Dune, the movie, was mentioned in an episode of The Big Bang Theory where some of them are in the wood to watch a meteor shower and they hack into the HBO satellite.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I was reading an X-Men comic the other day (X-Men: The End) and a character named Sage said that she was the X-Men's Mentat, a "living computer." I think she actually said it twice.

Goodnight Golden Path!
lotek

Post by lotek »

Omphalos wrote:I was reading an X-Men comic the other day (X-Men: The End) and a character named Sage said that she was the X-Men's Mentat, a "living computer." I think she actually said it twice.
Cool stuff :)

http://uncannyxmen.net/comics/issue/x-m ... d-demons-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Nisshoku

Post by Nisshoku »

A sandworm in the online game Final Fantasy XIV called Ulhuadshi:

He drops a fang that can be wielded like a dagger.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nisshoku wrote:A sandworm in the online game Final Fantasy XIV called Ulhuadshi:

He drops a fang that can be wielded like a dagger.
Ulhuadshi is an anagram for Shai Hulud. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

Not exactly a Dune reference, but it does involve the actress who played Lady Jessica in the Lynch Dune movie: Francesca Annis.

Before she starred in Dune, she starred in a British miniseries about the life of Lillie Langtry, Lillie. Mrs. Langtry was the Royal Mistress of Edward VII, a model, an actress, and a friend notable writers and artists like Oscar Wilde and James Whistler.

The miniseries shows more of Francesca's acting range, and I see a little bit of Jessica in her portrayal of Langtry.

Here's an episode to give a sense of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOio0PTo4p0

Interestingly, Lillie is a native of Jersey, and lives close to the beach. It's like she's from Caladan.

I like to think that Lillie Langtry got reincarnated into the deep future to become a Bene Gesserit and the mother of the Kwisatz Haderach.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I was watching an episode of Star Trek Voyager and Giedi Prime was mentioned as a vacation hot spot. Also, Talaxian sound awfully similar to Tleilaxu.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Freakzilla wrote:I was watching an episode of Star Trek Voyager and Giedi Prime was mentioned as a vacation hot spot. Also, Talaxian sound awfully similar to Tleilaxu.
I wish the Talaxians were half as charming.
"um-m-m-ah-h-h-hm-m-m-m!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

georgiedenbro wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I was watching an episode of Star Trek Voyager and Giedi Prime was mentioned as a vacation hot spot. Also, Talaxian sound awfully similar to Tleilaxu.
I kept wanting to see Neelix call Tuvok "Mr. Vulcan" then Tuvok snaps and beats him to a pulp.
~Pink Snowman
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

Freakzilla wrote:
georgiedenbro wrote:
I kept wanting to see Neelix call Tuvok "Mr. Vulcan" then Tuvok snaps and beats him to a pulp.
Every time I think of the phrase "Mr. Vulcan" with Neelix's big grin I get the emotional equivalent to what Paul of Dune did to you in your sig.
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

D Pope wrote:Producer Options ‘Soul Catcher’ By ‘Dune’ Author Frank Herbert

http://deadline.com/2014/08/frank-herbe ... ie-819682/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Villard negotiated for a year with the Herbert estate and next is looking to attach a
director whose vision can steer the character-driven piece.
I just came across this. I wonder why this took a whole year? I can just hear the demon spawns of Frank and Bev saying "... but, but, but don't you want to option House Atreides or Butlerian Jihad instead? ..."

They seriously took a year to agree to this when no producer will touch Dune now with a 10' double-headed dildo Chewbecca used on tehkja.

And you really have to love this comment on the deadline story... the public has already been brain-fucked on the origin of these stories
Jean-Claude Dupre • on Aug 14, 2014 4:31 pm
I am so happy Brian and Friends, I Sure look forward to seeing it! I wish you all the best and I’m sure you will be blessed with a movie people will appreciate. Soul Catcher will be a Block Buster Movie. You only do quality….

Kind regards,

JC
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
JustSomeGuy

Post by JustSomeGuy »

D Pope

Post by D Pope »

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-remakes-f ... dfbfanpage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"5 Remakes of Famous Movies That Would Actually Be Awesome"
Released in 1984, Lynch's movie was a critical and commercial failure. Roger Ebert gave it one star and declared it the worst movie of the year. Not even the star power of Sting parading around in a winged codpiece could save it.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
georgiedenbro

Post by georgiedenbro »

JustSomeGuy wrote:

Thanks to the other post I just noticed this for the first time. Awesome!
Pris Stratton

Post by Pris Stratton »

GRIMES has an album called 'Geidi Primes', it's her first LP which was a home recorded release. I'd recommend it to anybody who's into the likes of electronica/indie.

Some tracks off of the top of my head in to particular order:
Caladan
Zoal, Face Dancer
Feyd-Rautha/Dark Heart
Beast Infection
Shadout Mapes

Great album, great musician.
Attachments
LP cover
LP cover
71DNMCk89GL._SL1388_.jpg (239.63 KiB) Viewed 23474 times
"What does a scanner see? Into the head? Down into the heart? Into me - into us - clearly or darkly?"
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Anyone seen Brandon Cronenberg's (son of David Cronenberg) theatrical debut Antiviral? It's a disturbing examination of the extent society can go in its celebrity-worship. The ending features what could best be described as an axlotl tank.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Cronenberg's got a son?
Dang.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Havent seen it yet, but its on the list.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Naib

Post by Naib »

Naib

Post by Naib »

Ride the worm, sound.

[YouTube]http://youtu.be/IHqxML1tqqI[/YouTube]