MST3K Lost Episode: David Lynch's DUNE?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Jodorowsky's Acolyte

MST3K Lost Episode: David Lynch's DUNE?

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

The source of this information is old and pretty much unconfirmed by the MST3K archives, but it goes like this. Years ago, a friend of mine claimed that Mystery Science Theater 3000 was making fun of David Lynch's DUNE. I think it was mainly a product of my friend's imagination at that time, but he nonetheless made the episode compelling. When the credits came up, he claimed that Crow or Tom Servo was yelling: "It's a rip-off from STAR WARS!" It's an unfair riff, I know, I remember telling him that the film was based off a book before. Anyway, he claimed that in the second host segment, Crow dressed up as Paul Atreides and Tom Servo as Obi-Won Kenobi. Another friend of mine claimed to have seen it on Sci-Fi listed as the Lost MST3K episode, and that the David Lynch or the other creators prevented it from being shown.

Both stories were probably made up during the youth of our years, but I was wondering: had MST3K considered making fun of David Lynch's DUNE at one point? I remember that one episode had a Baron Harkonnen action figure in it, but that's it. If the episode never existed, how would you create an MST3K episode centered around that particular film version of DUNE?
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
Kojiro

Re: MST3K Lost Episode: David Lynch's DUNE?

Post by Kojiro »

I think your friends were yanking your chain.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I have no information on this subject and therefore nothing to add. :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:I have no information on this subject and therefore nothing to add. :)
Thanks for doing so anyway!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

One is glad to be of surface. :P
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:Years ago, a friend of mine claimed that Mystery Science Theater 3000 was making fun of David Lynch's DUNE.
Your friend needs to get off the pipe.

MST3K/Dune never happened.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.