Dune similarities to the Pocahontas tale

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

HarryCanyon

Dune similarities to the Pocahontas tale

Post by HarryCanyon »

We all know that Herbert was influenced by world history from Caligula, Lawrence of Arabia but you don't know is that he was inspired by the Pocahontas story too.

Paul is pratically John Smith as both the Arteides and Harkonnens are the settlers who go into the new world to exploit a substance weither it be gold or spice. Chani is pratically Pocahontas as her people the freman are a mix of Native Americans and Middle-Eastern people as she has a demanding cheif of a father for Chani and Paul fall in love like John Smith and Pocahontas did. A war between the white man and the intruders are at hand then things get settled between the races of man.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Dune similarities to the Pocahontas tale

Post by Freakzilla »

Did you come up with that by yourself?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I'm more interested in the similarities between Dune and whatever the next movie is that you're going to tell us it's like. Also Bubble Boy.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
HarryCanyon

Post by HarryCanyon »

No, i have a strong belief that Herbert was also influenced by the Pocahontas story in the details i mentioned. You also know that the Freman are also similar to the Indians if you think about it and the Harkonnens are settlers.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Belief is nothing unless you can PROVE it. Without evidence, you have only SPECULATION.

(What have you been diagnosed with, Harry? Though I detect some linguistic abnormalities (I have no reason to believe that you are not a native speaker of American English), I'm not sufficiently familiar with the various physiological and psychological ailments affecting mental processes to even hazard a guess at what the underlying condition(s) might be. Mild retardation? High-functioning autism? Knowing might make it a bit easier to understand where you're coming from...)
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Baraka Bryan wrote:douche. the only reason it's similar is because it follows the archetypal messianic storyline. you're taking macro plot elements and assuming cause and effect, rather than recognizing common influence.
Look up Harry's posts if you want more of the same.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:douche. the only reason it's similar is because it follows the archetypal messianic storyline. you're taking macro plot elements and assuming cause and effect, rather than recognizing common influence.
:sad-roulette:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Another of your insane theories. Keep 'm coming Harry because I am bored shitless at the office at the moment.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
lotek

Post by lotek »

very good !
Spice is the worm's gonads.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Harry, let me save you some time: if you look hard enough, everything is related to everything else.

You can trust me on this. I majored in English, so I've seen, first-hand, how artsy-fartsy students (and professors) looking to make some sort of academic "statement" (or maybe just desperately late turning in a paper) can link any one item to any other item.

So just get it out of your system, because the whole exercise is entirely meaningless. Wolverine can be linked to Shakespeare; Xena, Warrior Princess is clearly related to Chaucer's Canterbury Tales; Ghostbusters is related to the Declaration of Independence; and it's patently obvious that Frank Herbert was influenced by the early work of Walt Disney, particularly the Steamboat Willie shorts.

I'll repeat: everything is related to everything else. Provided you're a big enough douche-nozzle, of course.

Also, your fake Asperger's Syndrome is pretty fucking annoying.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Obviously, Thufir Hawat is Rain Man and Paul Atreides is Charlie Babbitt.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Have you seen the Pocahontas/Avatar synopsis? Amazing and funny!

http://www.slashfilm.com/lol-james-came ... pochontas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The best thing about looking here for the synopsis, harry, is that the whole arguement is played out in the fifty or so comments below.
I'm not saying you don't have a right to your opinions, in fact, good for you if you really are trying to think for yourself, but the Dukester is right on the money with this one, stretch your imagination and there's nothing that isn't related to something.
Maybe this'll help.
A man who had become obsessed with the meaning of life had exhausted all his resourses to get to a mountain in a far away land to speak with another fellow who, he'd been told, knew the answer he needed. Frostbitten and physically spent, he crawled into a cave and found the man sitting in front of a dead fire, under a blanket.
"Are you the one?" the man asked, "Do you know the reason i'm here?'
The man behind the firepit jumped up and throwing off his blanket said,"Life is like a radish!" Having revealed this truth, he sat down and started to get back under his blanket.
"What?!" asked the exhausted traveller, "That's it? Life is like a radish?! Do you know what i've been through to get here? Life is not like a radish! Where did you get that crap?"
The man behind the firepit, now composed, shrugged and said,"Maybe it's not like a radish."
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

for a minute there, I had been worried that Harry had left us ...

I'm a good mood today, so I'll be indulgent ... for a moment; then, it's back under the rock with you ...

as has been stated, you've pointed out (weak) common plot elements between (I'm assuming) the Disney-Princess movie
(which IS NOT a prime source for reference material for Jamestown, BTW) and Frank's Dune - so you are actually pointing
to the similar features of TWO separate stories to the archetypal plot going back to the first cave-man campfire tales ...

that is a legitimate, if irrelevant, point ... sort of ... but not really ... if A is the source story, and B has elements of A, and C has elements
of A in it, you cannot automatically relate B to C, except thru its commonalities with A ... and as Duke said, that road leads to everyone
being Kevin Bacon ...

what is not legitimate, and what causes that vein to bulge out on the SandChigger's forehead, is to claim that because of these commonalities,
C was influenced by B, without points of support ...

you cannot prove Frank Herbert any more knowledge of Captain John Smith at all; you can assume, because he was an educated, intelligent man,
that he was aware of the story ... but when discussing sources for Frank's work, assumption is not worth anything ...

we can say that the original inspiration for Dune was the article on sand dune management Frank wrote ... because he said so ...
I can say I think Frank was inspired by the swirling patterns of a log of his shit being sucked down into the toilet bowl, and that is the
basis for the sandworms, and it may in fact be true - but I cannot prove that ...

you said :
"but you don't know is that he was inspired by the Pocahontas story too."

(taken out of context and read literally, this is a true statement)

without some kind of support, a quote from Frank, a detailed analysis of fine details that point to a direct influence, this is a ...

wait ... wait ... WTF here ?

you are not going to come back and read any of this, or understand it ... why am I wasting.... fuck ...

nevermind.
die in a fire, &etc
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Sandrider wrote:you are not going to come back and read any of this, or understand it ... why am I wasting.... fuck ...

nevermind.
die in a fire, &etc
:lol: That's the thing. What is up with you, Harry?
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Bah, it's not even an insane theory, it's just a weak attempt at trolling. This moron doesn't actually believe any of the word he types, he's just out for reactions.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
gotcha. guess I was away when everyone else realized he's an idiot and stopped trying to fix him :P
No really, look them up. :wink:

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
gotcha. guess I was away when everyone else realized he's an idiot and stopped trying to fix him :P
No really, look them up. :wink:
i'm afraid...
Let me help you: search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=h ... mit=Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It's truly heartwarming how helpful you are sometimes. :lol:
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Hello Hannibal! :laughing:
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hey, have you ever thought about how much like Dune Silence of the Lambs REALLY is?! :P

Mmm, fava beans! And a nice chianti! Phththphphththtphlpthtphphtphtphtphtphtphtphthtp!
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

I call troll...
Too similar posts, too much nonsense, too controversial, etc.

I might be wrong, and I'm not trying to slander anyone here, but the chance that this guy is not a troll and whatever slight possibility that he will contribute something someday is not worth the wait. My advice; treat him like a troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And he's doing the same thing EVERYWHERE. :roll:
lotek

Post by lotek »

Hannibal is SO much the Baron I'm pretty sure Frank had a future vision of SotL, hid it in a box only to have it found by Thomas Harris, who has a beard too !

And
:lol:

It's the only way to make sense out of it
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Shouldn't the title of this thread be

Dune trolls similar in intellectual depth and reasoning skills to other internet trolls. Serve well as distraction, but offer poor content at best.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus