which movie version of Dune should I watch?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

drix

which movie version of Dune should I watch?

Post by drix »

I plan on watching Children of Dune afterwards, so I was wondering which version of Dune I should watch? The 1984 movie or the 2000 miniseries?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: which movie version of Dune should I watch?

Post by Freakzilla »

There is only one movie version of Dune. I suggest you watch that.

:teasing-smokingcrack:

The Dune miniseries is closer to the book than the movie but it has very low production values and way too many hats.

The Dune movie however is a big budget Hollywood movie but it has David Lynch's bizzaro world twist on it.

Have you read the book?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

dang.
he got this first post on @ 4:20 ...
and his first response was Freakzilla w/the crack head smiley ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It was 5:20 here, but I'm pretty sure I was still high. :?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Why not watch both? Also, there's a 4 hour Lynch version.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I agree with Nekhrun: watch both.

Just keep in mind that all of the adaptations vary in differing degrees from the books.

(Watching everything will probably be less damaging to your understanding of Dune than reading any of the crappy new books! ;) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
drix

Post by drix »

No, I haven't read the book. I know there's a lot of stuff left out in book-to-movie adaptions but I don't think I'm interested enough in Dune to sit down and read what would be an undoubtedly long ass book. I can watch the movie a lot quicker and get a grasp on the basic plotline. Good enough for me.

I don't think I'd enjoy watching them both so I'll just go with the 1984 movie. Thanks.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I suggest you shove a kja prequel up your ass while watching it then. I think you'd get a lot more enjoyment out of anything you try considering your last post.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

drix wrote:... I don't think I'm interested enough in Dune to sit down and read what would be an undoubtedly long ass book.
Jesus wept, did you pick the wrong forum or what, dumbass?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I was gonna suggest you should definitely read the book to be able to enjoy the film adaptations, and go into an explanation of why I think it's especially necessary for the David Lynch version, but then I read this...
drix wrote:No, I haven't read the book. I know there's a lot of stuff left out in book-to-movie adaptions but I don't think I'm interested enough in Dune to sit down and read what would be an undoubtedly long ass book. I can watch the movie a lot quicker and get a grasp on the basic plotline. Good enough for me.

I don't think I'd enjoy watching them both so I'll just go with the 1984 movie. Thanks.

..and decided to just suggest that you go jizz on an egg sandwich and eat it.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Using an anonymizer with an unused e-mail. Probably a skirmisher from the douchenet.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I was going to say, obvious troll, didn't even put in much effort.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Omphalos wrote:Probably a skirmisher from the douchenet.
The dreaded General Rubicon Benitoid Polpotamus?
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Omphalos wrote:Using an anonymizer with an unused e-mail. Probably a skirmisher from the douchenet.
Ah, the Douchenet sent over a troll ... had themselves a bit of a larf, did they?

I'll bet it took weeks of planning for the geniuses over there to coordinate the whole thing ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Nekhrun wrote:Why not watch both? Also, there's a 4 hour Lynch version.
The Alan Smithee clocks in at just under 3 hours and of-course the theatrical is shorter than that, has a new fanedit popped up or a new official cut?
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I'm not sure. The Disney channel used to play a version that was 4 hours. It was on quite often for about a year when I was in college. The strange thing was that there were scenes cut out of it that were in the shorter version.

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

And don't think there weren't GOING TO BE hats in the movie. They spent SIX MONTHS designing hats for Fremen and didn't even use them! Which is good.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Nekhrun wrote:I'm not sure. The Disney channel used to play a version that was 4 hours. It was on quite often for about a year when I was in college. The strange thing was that there were scenes cut out of it that were in the shorter version.
Aha, I guess 3 hours plus commercials would make 4.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I noticed Drix found his way home to Dumbnovels.com
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Which, if he was being even half-serious, is the very height of irony: a guy with no intention of reading the Dune novel ...

... joining a forum literally called "Dune Novels."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, he'll be in good company over there, where most of them didn't read the books or didn't understand them, either.

Or their lips moved while they read. :lol:
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandChigger wrote:Well, he'll be in good company over there, where most of them didn't read the books or didn't understand them, either.

Or their lips moved while they read. :lol:

and they're not moving very fast at that...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Well, even if he was a troll, I wouldn't be surprised if we get an occasional person lurking who wants to know more about the movies rather than the books, and here is not a bad place to ask. We have a "Dune Media" category, after all, and the movies aren't nu-Dune, even if they aren't canon (or good, particularly).

Personally I'd like to see us help these wanderers, and *strongly encourage* them to read the books if they liked the movies. And maybe suggest they might not be interested in most of the discussions here, given that we focus almost solely on the original series.

Not saying we should tolerate trolls, but I wouldn't want to chase away people who come here in good faith, just because they're intimidated by the first book and want to see the movie.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Lolronica

Post by Lolronica »

Is the talk of the four-hour (and longer) versions based on Lynch's take true (can anyone here vow that they've seen one longer than the three-hour version)? After a fair bit of searching, the most convincing description I could find said that it is just a very early rough cut with just about no effects and no soundtrack. The four-hour version Nekhrun mentions is almost certainly the same as the three-hour version, but broadcast in two parts, with recaptitulations from part I in part II, and the same title sequence repeated in both. There are also variations in length because of 'violence' (much like with Bladerunner) and who defines that in the place a given copy comes from.

That said, the three-hour version has much better flow than the original theatrical release. Lynch has disowned it on more than one occasion, though (probably more to do with being peeved at Hollywood and not getting final say than anything else). Also agree with Lynch's choice of favourite setting in his movie--Giedi Prime. It's a natural for Lynch's industrial fascination.

Anyone stumbling into this topic who hasn't seen them should also beware that the cable TV miniseries makes the Fremen out to be almost exactly like the slaves on the other side of the Stargate in the pretty crappy movie Stargate. There may have been an underhanded reason for that subtext, but it's definitely irritating.

Has its good points though, Hurt as Leto and Reeves as Jessica aren't at all bad (from memory most of the Atreides crew are not bad, with the major exception of the actor who plays Paul himself), the Baron isn't bad either (but heavily influenced by the Lynch take, and not quite as good). Ornithopters are realized quite nicely.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

There are a couple of good fanedits out there. Have a look at fanedit.org for more details.