Reasons why Lynch's movie sucked.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

HarryCanyon

Reasons why Lynch's movie sucked.

Post by HarryCanyon »

I saw the movie back in 98 when i was 17 after loving those wonderful books, i watched this on video and was expecting it to be good after hearing bad things about it. They were right, it was bad that even some of the fans of the novels were devestated by this abomination as much as i was and wanted to cry at the end when it started raining over Arakkis after Alia said "And how can this be for he is the Kwistaz Haderach" with the Reverend Mother showing her metal teeth then it rained.

Why in the world did they ever hire David Lynch? he was miscast as director who didn't know jackshit of the novel and decided to do his homework by reading the book over a month then writing the script. They should have had Ridley Scott or Alejandro Jororsky at the time for this since they care and are fans of the books but NOT Lynch for he was wrong.

Lynch made a horrible monstrosity that costed 47 million dollars as this movie was doomed from the start, but some of the characters were miscasted. I mean Patrick Stewart is a great actor but he was wrong for Gurney and the same goes for fucking Sting, i mean come on, STING?!!!!

I do admit i like the soundtrack which is better than the film itself especially that awesome "Take my Hand" score. Why did Lynch make Baron Vlad Harkonnen a gross, diseased freak who is like the Joker that has fart power to float instead of the clean faced, intelligent, and serious floating fat fellow who floats with those boasters? Why make Reverend Mother Mohiam a metal toothed bald reject from Star Trek or Babylon 5? Fucking Lynch.

It was a Lynch movie, not a Dune movie but the biggest problem was giving out pamphlets as cheatsheets on characters, places and languages of the movie in translations and even that opening where the Princess was narrating about the film's plot then it's in trouble. No wonder this movie flopped at the box-office on december 17th of 1984 even with critics calling it "Worst movie of the year" even by Siskel and Ebert, i also hated watching this movie even when i rented the 2-Disc extended cut to see what were they thinking. Even Hardcore Dune fans like myself hated this bloated mess.

No razzies?
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: Reasons why Lynch's movie sucked.

Post by Serkanner »

You are becoming rather boring. I am a "hardcore" Dune fan since 1984 and I still like the movie. Grow up and stop comparing the book with the movie.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
lotek

Post by lotek »

yeah the movie had its faults but it still is better than anything the hack has produced, don't forget Frank was around at the time, and himself was pretty humble when talking on how much movie storytelling was an entirely different and alien process to him.
There is a filmed interview of this, if I can't find it someone here probably knows where it can be found.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
HarryCanyon

Post by HarryCanyon »

A note to Hollywood:
Never hire David Lynch to do big budget movies otherwise he'll screw it up.

Do you all know what the Razzie awards are? i wish this could have been nominated since it's called the worst movie of 1984 by some critics and no nominations for Sting for worst new actor of 1984? are they blind?

Lynch is a good director but this is his worst movie and taught him never never to do big budget movies ever again. To this day he disowns the movie and refuses to talk about it even in interviews or he would walk away.

I prefer the mini-series despite some faults or the best Dune movie ever Children of Dune. Who thinks it should have been Ridley Scott or Alejandro Jorowsky?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I hated it... but I still watch it. It is THE best Dune full length feature film, ever.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

Freakzilla wrote:I hated it... but I still watch it. It is THE best Dune full length feature film, ever.
you almost had me there ;)

EDIT
wait a minute !
It's the only Dune full length feature film, ever.
:lol:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
HarryCanyon

Post by HarryCanyon »

Just because Dino De Laurentiis studios watched Elephant Man doesn't mean they need Lynch, Elephant Man was a great movie and the only good mainstream movie Lynch has done.

Mention Dune to him and he'll walk away for he knew his movie was a turkey. Even Mick Martin and Marsha Porter who are the best movie critics with the greatest movie-guide book ever gave it a turkey rating with their quote saying "The good thing about this movie is that it makes someone want to read or re-read the book again, otherwise it's a $47 million dollar mess" and even put up on video hounddog's category of "Big Budget Bombs" (a.k.a. big budget stinkers formerely).

The new Dune movie which should be 4 parts and done by a director who cares about the material (the book) including growing up with it should do justice to the book since it's a near unfilmable book.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Serkanner wrote:You are becoming rather boring. I am a "hardcore" Dune fan since 1984 and I still like the movie. Grow up and stop comparing the book with the movie.
Yarp.

All adaptations are... just that - adaptations. I love the design of Lynch's Dune - that dirty steampunk renaissance, the vastness and lavishness of Kaitain, the Atreides costumes etc. The way the characters aren't airbrushed - they sweat and spit, even Kyle Maclachlan's hair gets a bit messed up in one of the scenes. For all it's faults - at least it's interesting.

You moan about the script - there are actually a lot of actual Herbertarian lines in there. Possibly more than the miniseries IIRC.

The main problem with the film - and the reason it did so badly, isn't the bald reverend mothers, it's that it tries to condense a complex into a single film while remaining faithful to a complex novel. But you can't blame Lynch for that - he originally wanted to do the film in 2 parts.

String and parsley. Are they the same?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

There were pugs in it. It rained. Sting.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

DuneFishUK wrote:.. even Kyle Maclachlan's hair gets a bit messed up in one of the scenes.
BLASPHEMER! Kyle's hair was perfect... for 1984.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Serkanner wrote:You are becoming rather boring.
Quite.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:Quite.
Quite +1.

Seriously, Harry, my man, you will not run into anyone who loathes the Lynch version more than I do, but even I find your style a bit grating.

For one thing ... well, there's no easy way to put this ... what is your fucking point? You act like you're the first person to ever bring the subject up.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
lotek

Post by lotek »

now, first off lets make clear that there is a sharp difference between trolling and a troll. trolling (v.) is simply the act of baiting for an argument. a troll (n.) is someone who attempts to disrupt and destroy all discussion in a forum, for whatever personal malfunctions. anyway, with that clarified, trolls seem to always follow the same pattern, and use the same tactics. ive always been fascinated with these individuals and what drives them, particulary their feeling of superiority and diabolical genius, when in fact they use the same tactics every time.

foe list

The only good thing is the laughs you bring, but man there's plenty more trolls in the virtual sea, and you might seem attractive now, but these points will fade after repetition...
You failed to amuse me, and for that I condemn you to oblivion.

Good bye !
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Say goodbye to all of this, and hello... to oblivion.

~Pink Snowman
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

I'm a huge David Lynch fan, but I think the movie failed in large part because the styles of David Lynch and Frank Herbert clash too much. It's an uneasy combination. And of course the movie was too short to properly adapt the story. I still like to watch it every so often though. It's a fascinating mess.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I liked the movie when I was a kid. I still watch it occasionally. I liked it better than most movies I've seen.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I watched the movie when in came out and loved it, then I read the book and loved that much more. I've seem the movie more times than I've read the book I'm sure of that but it's appeal and my appreciation of it's qualities are not what they used to be.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I don't think it should have been Jororsky, Jorowsky, nor should it have been Jodorowsky, although you may know better than me, Harry, as you seem to know a lot about him.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Wait, what does Jaworsky have to do with anything? :think:

"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
lotek

Post by lotek »

or for that matter this one too ??
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I like the Lynch Dune. I love the Lynch Dune.

There, I said it.

Was it perfect. No. Heck no, in fact.

It looked right, and in my opinion, it felt right. It is a great adaptation, when you think of it as Lynch's Dune, which is what it was. It is not Frank's Dune. And Frank was there to give his opinion of it.

I can completely understand the hate it gets. But dammit, I was never distracted by WTF Butterfly hats or the Swiss Guards. I watch Lynch for the look and the feel, and the 80's soundtrack. I watch the miniseries for the story. And I'll watch the new one for the eye rolls and facepalms and ZOMG-CGI.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

Ampoliros wrote:I like the Lynch Dune. I love the Lynch Dune.

There, I said it.

It looked right, and in my opinion, it felt right. It is a great adaptation, when you think of it as Lynch's Dune, which is what it was. It is not Frank's Dune. And Frank was there to give his opinion of it.

I can completely understand the hate it gets. But dammit, I was never distracted by WTF Butterfly hats or the Swiss Guards. I watch Lynch for the look and the feel, and the 80's soundtrack. I watch the miniseries for the story. And I'll watch the new one for the eye rolls and facepalms and ZOMG-CGI.
It certainly had its appeal at the time....hell, at least a great story was being worked with!

You know, I have some friends who are very interested in producing mixed-format Dune fan fiction using some of the same tools and code that we're developing for my own series and some other projects. I wonder what sort of groups are out there that we might partner up with to make some good stuff happen.
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Shaitan wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:I like the Lynch Dune. I love the Lynch Dune.

There, I said it.

It certainly had its appeal at the time....hell, at least a great story was being worked with!

You know, I have some friends who are very interested in producing mixed-format Dune fan fiction using some of the same tools and code that we're developing for my own series and some other projects. I wonder what sort of groups are out there that we might partner up with to make some good stuff happen.
Watch out for Herbert Estate lawyers...
~Pink Snowman
Shaitan

Post by Shaitan »

Freakzilla wrote:Watch out for Herbert Estate lawyers...
Yeah, seriously. I think that something purely community driven (not made by or centrally directed by any one person) and entirely noncommercial might manage to find a way to skirt the edge....maybe by going so far as to create mostly new characters within the OH Duniverse. But you're right, it would be damn tricky at best to avoid trouble. Odds are, whoever actually owned the site and hosted everything would have to be located in a safe haven overseas, willing from the outset to endure some BS threats from the usual legal eagles.
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn Pro." -Hunter S. Thompson
"Man, a guy gets drunk *once* and it's all anyone remembers..." -HBJ