Shameless plug!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: Shameless plug!

Post by SandRider »

ImageImage
http://www.stratfordhall.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee III, born at Leesylvania near Dumfries, Virginia, was blonde, blue-eyed, and full of spirit. He graduated from Princeton in 1773 and returned home to prepare for war. His skill as a horseman, as well as his temperment, made him a natural cavalryman. He soon was commissioned as captain in the fifth group of Virginia Light Dragoons and sent north to join the Continental Army.

Leading his men on lightning raids against enemy supply trains, Harry attracted the attention and admiration of General George Washington and was rapidly promoted. In a surprise attack at Paulus Hook, New Jersey, he captured 400 British soldiers with the loss of only one man. His adroit horsemanship soon earned him the nickname "Light Horse Harry." When the military theatre shifted, he enjoyed equal success in the Southern Department.

Resigning his commission after the British surrender at Yorktown, Harry returned to Virginia to marry his cousin, the "divine Matilda" Lee. The wedding took place at Stratford, and it is said that General Washington contributed several pipes of his best Madeira to the festive occasion. Matilda had inherited Stratford in the division of her father's estate and lived there with her new husband. The dashing young calvaryman, however, was no farmer. His interests in the livelier arena of politics led to Harry's election to the new Virginia House of Delegates. After only eight years of marriage, Matilda died in 1790, leaving three young children and a husband desperate with grief.

Two years later, Harry was elected Governor of Virginia, serving three one-year terms. While living in Richmond, he fell in love with Ann Hill Carter of nearby Shirley Plantation. In 1793 they were married. His governorship behind him, he took his bride to Stratford.

Again, family life was interrupted by his appointment to the Continental Congress in Philadelphia. Upon the death of President George Washington, Harry was asked by Congress to deliver a tribute to his beloved general, describing him for posterity:
First in war, first in peace and first in the hearts of his countrymen...second to none in the humble and endearing scenes of private life.

After the death of his idol, Harry's fortunes began to decline rapidly. the support of a family of six, coupled with disastrous land speculation, reduced him to financial poverty, Then, on January 19, 1807, in the large upstairs room at Stratford where so many Lees had come into the world, Ann gave birth to their fifth son, Robert Edward, named after two of his mother's favorite brothers. As Robert was learning to walk, his father was carried off to debtor's prison in Montross.

With characteristic courage, in a 12-by-15 foot prison cell, Harry wrote his Memoirs of the War in the Southern Department of the United States, still the standard text on that portion of the Revolutionary War. When the book was finished in 1810, the family moved to Alexandria, where a new life on a modest scale was made possible by a legacy from Ann's father. Harry's eldest son, Henry IV, became master of Stratford.

"Light Horse Harry's" last years were marred by sorrow and pain. Internal injuries, received when he was beaten by a mob as he defended a friend and freedom of the press in Baltimore, kept him in constant physical pain. He sought relief in the warm climate of the West Indies. When his health continued to decline, Harry attempted to return home, but died on Cumberland Island, Georgia, in the home of the daughter of his former commander, Nathanael Greene.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Ann Hill Carter Lee
Wife of General Henry 'Light Horse Harry' Lee III
Ann Hill Carter was born in 1773, the daughter of Charles and Anne (Butler Moore) Carter of Shirley Plantation on the James River. Shirley was Virginia's first plantation, which the Hills' and Carters' had inhabited since 1613. Ann was the tenth of twenty-three children born to Charles Carter's two wives.

Ann was the great-granddaughter of Robert Carter, one of America's earliest men of wealth. His wealth came from service as land agent for the English Proprieter, Lord Fairfax, for whome he collected rents on the millions of acres owned by Fairfax in Virginia. His position gained for him an estate of some 300,000 acres and made him so powerful that he became known as King Carter.
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

ImageImage

Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Okay ... where does Bruce Lee fit into all of this?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

There is still a "Lighthorse" US Cavalry Squadron, the 3/17th. My dad served in it as a door gunner durring that Viet Nam thing.

History

Here they are uncasing the colors after returning from Afghanastan:

(Those are battle streamers)

I believe the 3/17th MEDIVAC is the only one in the US Cavalry that wears gray stetsons:

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Serkanner wrote:Okay ... where does Bruce Lee fit into all of this?

it gets complicated .....

ImageImage

merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SandRider wrote:

My mom was banging Bruce Lee's brother for a while, and a few years later, I was born in Gettysburg. Coincidence? :shock:
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

merkin muffley wrote:
SandRider wrote:

My mom was banging Bruce Lee's brother for a while, and a few years later, I was born in Gettysburg. Coincidence? :shock:
Was your mother a redhead?
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

merkin muffley wrote:My mom was banging Bruce Lee's brother for a while, and a few years later, I was born
Damn. :shock:

That must be the longest pregnancy on record.... :lol:
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SandChigger wrote:
merkin muffley wrote:My mom was banging Bruce Lee's brother for a while, and a few years later, I was born
Damn. :shock:

That must be the longest pregnancy on record.... :lol:
And his name is Robert Lee.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

mind = blown

:laughing:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Want to beat up on Conway? He' started to comment on my review.

Rob
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

already did - felt sorry for him, tho; such a complete Fail ... offered advice & suggestions on how to
Step Up his Trollin' .... seriously mean it, too: he needs some Major Help if he is going to Amuse Me,
and I value my personal amusement above everything else on God's Green Earth, so I'm not atall
opposed to giving him pointers .... alas, the Red Pestilence has passed thru the sietch, and still :
"No New PMs" ....

ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ah, the man who can outstink a Fremen.

Without a stillsuit! :lol:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Robspierre wrote:Want to beat up on Conway?
Always!
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Ok, I'm not seeing any of the three discussion's for Dune and Philosophy.

Conway get all pissy and go tattling to Amazon?

Edited to add: The discussions don't show on the kindle page for the book, just the paperback.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yap-yap-yip-yap-yap! Woof!

:laughing-rolling:

(Oh, sorry, that was a SMELLHOLE thread, wasn't it? Oops! :lol: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

jizzydam has made an appearance in the comments of my review. Talk about a dense, ignorant mother fucker,

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I'm taking the presence of "ignorant" there to mean that you didn't intend "dense" in the sense of "massive dimpler of spacetime".

Because, you know, the man has single-handedly (well, actually, I imagine it's more double-fistedly, especially when pizza is involved) expanded the definition of FAT. :shock:
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

:lol:
I'm not usually one for fat jokes, but;
"He's so fat, he has smaller fat people in orbit around him!"
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

When it comes to jizzydam, dense has more than one meaning, a concept he is incapable of grasping with his pea sized brain.

Rob
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

But it could be a 'dense' pea-sized brain! :shock:

Hey, SandRider. I think you really are gonna have to school David James on OPINION vs FACT. :doh:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Did you say OPINION vs FAT? :shock:

Oh, sorry!
D Pope wrote: :lol:
I'm not usually one for fat jokes, but;
"He's so fat, he has smaller fat people in orbit around him!"
:laughing-rolling:

THAT is epic. :lol:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

DJDizzyJam might have the worst writing style I've ever encountered.

He's literally tl;dr. That's the sort of thing usually said in jest or in mock exasperation — "Wow, what a long post; sorry, didn't read it. Yuk-yuk" — but it is the absolute truth for that moron. I can never make it past the second sentence ... and I've usually already forgotten what the first sentence said.

The guy could take a simple concept — "I answered the telephone," maybe — and turn it into three lengthy paragraphs. He needs an editor worse than TheKevin does ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

The comments to Rob's review are damn entertaining. SR, particularly, is in good form. I must remember to get popcorn next time I'm at the store.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks