I can't be the only one hoping the new movie falls apart...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Superdog

I can't be the only one hoping the new movie falls apart...

Post by Superdog »

It might be a train wreck, or it could very well be a decent, or maybe even good, movie. But I doubt it will be the cinematic home run that Dune deserves. I would rather this studio conceived version die in pre-production until a passionate auteur resurrects it.
aethereon

Re: I can't be the only one hoping the new movie falls apart...

Post by aethereon »

then again it could be better than any movie we've seen in the last 15 years.

Or it could simultaneously suck ass, cuz it's not up to par with elite duneliciousnessticity.

You decide. I'll either agree or won't. I'm worn out with some things. Dune is a small set of books that were mostly written before I was born.

I'll cherish those little collections of stained paper forever.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Movies don't bother me - they're all good.

If they twisted the story so it went against everything FH wrote and then the director claimed it was canon because it was based on unpublished material (that he refused to release) then yes... it should die in a fire.

It won't though. The Hack's positions are purely ceremonial (They'll ask Brian for his pronunciation guide and grudgingly have lunch with KJA.. but that is IT) and even though it will be an adaptation, the source material is strong enough to make it half decent at least.

And if it is shit.. then check either of the Hollywood threads in Ghafla to remind yourself of Hollywood's current MO. If at first you don't succeed, or you succeed but then run out of steam and want to succeed again... etc :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Superdog wrote:I can't be the only one hoping the new movie falls apart...
No. You'll never hate alone in this respect. :twisted:

I hope the movie crashes and burns and dies horribly in the fire.

I hope Paramount goes bankrupt for being involved.

FUCK HOLLYWOOD.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:I hope the movie crashes and burns and dies horribly in the fire.
+1.

Nothing that benefits Spanky McDune, Bobo Herbert, and the HLP's ability to continue to mass-produce McDunes can be a good thing. I do not loathe them partially; I loathe them completely, and thus cannot support any project they are associated with, whether it's a book, movie, a CD of Keith's love songs to Becky, or whatever else.

I sincerely hope this movie is a disaster and causes financial ruin for all the involved parties. I'll still have FH's books lined up on the shelves; nothing can ever change that.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

I'm taking it easy on the Haterade when it comes to this new film. I agree with Dunefish that BH and KJA's involvment is just a formality, and is no reason to wish failure upon this production.

I would like nothing more than to see Dune get the amazing movie treatment it deserves, and while I'm not getting my hopes up for this one, I will remain open-minded.

Morel has directed a handful of crappy action movies, but there are lots of directors who just find themselves directing a certain genre, oftentimes unhappily. Morel seems to be a Dune nut and apparently rejected Zetumer's script, which I see as a good sign. I maintain faith that something good might come of this.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

for brief minute there, I had the thought that movies (not films, eh?) are a retarded waste of time
and so fleeting and unimportant that I couldn't give a lesser-damn about a new Dune movie ...
big-ass blockbuster 13yo-boy oriented movies always diminish & trivialize the source material;
so I'm going to treat whatever finally get produced as I would another Marvel Comic adaptation ...

then I thought (and have before) that I'd like to see a seriously done 3D-modeled movie, like
that Final Fantasy movie .... but what I think would really be of benefit to Frank's Dune in this
Day&Age would be an authentic (canon) video game ... or series of games, connected in different
genres ... first-person shooter for the tweakers, one of those point&click mystery things for the
women, a complex economic/political strategy sim for old folks like me ... I'd also like an open-choice
first-person game with less twitchiness and violence - like when I try to complete a Postal2 task w/o
killing anybody at all (fucking impossible, BTW; eventually some methfreak tries to rob you or you
get caught in the crossfire between the cops and GaryColeman ...)

pipe-dreams, tho ... all the focus is going to be on making a quick pile of cash with a flash-in-the-pan
summer movie, the HLP is way too scared to pass off the trademark to a bunch of coders, working in
a medium they don't even begin to understand, and even-if, Keith, in his never-ending effort to portray
himself as the Master of All Medias and Cool-Kid, would rub his little dick all over it ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I reserve judgment until later. There are pros and cons both to this failing or succeeding.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Drunken Idaho wrote:... BH and KJA's involvment is just a formality, and is no reason to wish failure upon this production.
Here's two reasons:

1. Huge influx of cash into the HLP coffers.

leading to ...

2. A lifetime contract for TheKJA to continue writing McDunes even after Bobo's death.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

TheDukester wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:... BH and KJA's involvment is just a formality, and is no reason to wish failure upon this production.
Here's two reasons:

1. Huge influx of cash into the HLP coffers.

leading to ...

2. A lifetime contract for TheKJA to continue writing McDunes even after Bobo's death.
Fair enough of course, one of those con's I just mentioned, but if it did well due to actaully being good... well that might be worth it. KJA might keep going forever anyways, no matter how poor sales do there will always be someone who will publish books with Dune on the cover.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

SandRider wrote: then I thought (and have before) that I'd like to see a seriously done 3D-modeled movie, like
that Final Fantasy movie ....

I have always thought that Dune could be great in an anime film. I saw the Final Fantasy movie at a drive-in and I remember that everybody looked like mannequins and I couldn't get into it, so I got really, really, really high, as in almost dead, and possibly legally dead for a short period of time.
but what I think would really be of benefit to Frank's Dune in this
Day&Age would be an authentic (canon) video game ...
I'd love for there to be a good video game based on Dune. I think it's impossible considering the way they run things at HLP, just like I can't see the movie being any good, but I would be even more excited about a really good Dune video game than I would be about a great movie (...well, maybe). Neither one is going to happen, though.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
lotek

Post by lotek »

merkin muffley wrote:
SandRider wrote: then I thought (and have before) that I'd like to see a seriously done 3D-modeled movie, like
that Final Fantasy movie ....

I have always thought that Dune could be great in an anime film. I saw the Final Fantasy movie at a drive-in and I remember that everybody looked like mannequins and I couldn't get into it, so I got really, really, really high, as in almost dead, and possibly legally dead for a short period of time.
but what I think would really be of benefit to Frank's Dune in this
Day&Age would be an authentic (canon) video game ...
I'd love for there to be a good video game based on Dune. I think it's impossible considering the way they run things at HLP, just like I can't see the movie being any good, but I would be even more excited about a really good Dune video game than I would be about a great movie (...well, maybe). Neither one is going to happen, though.
give it to Rockstar(GTA, Red Dead Redemption) or Bethesda(Fallout 3, Oblibion the Elder Scrolls)

An open ended free roam game set on Arrakis(or let's dream and say the Imperium-some online community with Mentats and BGs and CHOAM...)

That'd be just...

I remember when I worked on the Lord of the Rings Online(LOTRO), it was such a bizarre and great feeling to wander Middle Earth!
Picture that, having to summon your own worm and riding it in the sunset...

Pipe dream indeed, from what I gather the HLP have a specific clause to refuse anything that could potentially be any good(which would explain why they recruited thejacKet)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

lotek wrote:I remember when I worked on the Lord of the Rings Online(LOTRO), it was such a bizarre and great feeling to wander Middle Earth!
You just made me sad since I can't imagine the parasites ever allowing that to happen. Oh well, at least I can dream...

DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Shakkad the Wise

Post by Shakkad the Wise »

Some kind of decent videogame based on Dune has been a dream of mine for a while. It doesn't even matter what form it would take, as long as it breaks from the played-out RTS format that the bulk of them have been. I played the demo for the god-awful TPS that came out a while back...awful, just awful, but I refuse to believe that it's impossible to make a good Dune game.

As for a movie, I think it's too much of a challenge for most of the directors that the HLP would have the wit to try to hire (Berg being a good example of the kind of bottom-feeder they attract.) You need someone who understands subtleties and mood, but who is still capable of creating an epic feel.

And, on a personal note, I want swords, damn it. We've had two Dune films, and still have yet to see Duncan or Gurney with a sword in their hands. It's a small detail, but I don't care.
Each man is a little war.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Tleszer wrote:
lotek wrote:I remember when I worked on the Lord of the Rings Online(LOTRO), it was such a bizarre and great feeling to wander Middle Earth!
You just made me sad since I can't imagine the parasites ever allowing that to happen. Oh well, at least I can dream...
maybe they'll be a bear shaped meterorite shower on wherever the HLP dwells plus the same sized shower just for Colorado, to be on the safe side.

Then Dune, free of its shackles, shall rise again, clean and untouched by the garbage spewed on it by these idiots!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Shakkad the Wise wrote:most of the directors that the HLP would have the wit to try to hire
Just for the record, I think it will be Paramount, not the HLP, hiring the director. (If the need arises to hire a NEW one, I mean, since it seems Morel still holds the job.) ;)

And, yeah, SWORDS! :D
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:
Shakkad the Wise wrote:most of the directors that the HLP would have the wit to try to hire
Just for the record, I think it will be Paramount, not the HLP, hiring the director. (If the need arises to hire a NEW one, I mean, since it seems Morel still holds the job.) ;)

I'm surprised Keith hasn't used more swords to proclaim his dick size.

Rob
Shakkad the Wise

Post by Shakkad the Wise »

SandChigger wrote:

Yeah, in fairness, that's probably right. I wasn't aware Morel was attached to this thing, I thought it was still dead in the water.
Each man is a little war.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Shakkad the Wise wrote:
SandChigger wrote:

Yeah, in fairness, that's probably right. I wasn't aware Morel was attached to this thing, I thought it was still dead in the water.
Apparently the attachment of Morel has added no life whatsoever. Still looks dead to me.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

The first Dune movie went through like what? 3-4 directors before Lynch? It's a hard sell: on one hand it's a big sci-fi epic. But on the other hand, it's very literary. The book itself has almost no action etc etc
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Superdog wrote:The first Dune movie went through like what? 3-4 directors before Lynch? It's a hard sell: on one hand it's a big sci-fi epic. But on the other hand, it's very literary. The book itself has almost no action etc etc
The story of the making (or not making) of the Dune movies is almost as epic as the source material. :wink:

Yeah, it sucks that the parasites get money out of this, but I am looking forward to the Dune Mania hype machine putting KJA in the spotlight because he is a massive arsehole.

:)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

put the arsehole...
... in the spotlight!

What's in the spotlight?

Truth.
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

lotek wrote:put the arsehole...
... in the spotlight!

What's in the spotlight?

Truth.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Give him some more rope.
_____ :obscene-hanged:
:occasion-partyblower: :occasion-balloons: :romance-inlove:
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

viewtopic.php?p=92857#p92857" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kevin J. Anderson promises to blow Truth and swallow and thus lures it into a back alley where he hits it over the head with one of his overwrought books and then rapes it repeatedly. And then he shits on its face and rubs it in.

He is an abomination! :twisted:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Shakkad the Wise wrote:... I thought it was still dead in the water.
It's not? There's been some signs of life?