I can't be the only one hoping the new movie falls apart...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Shakkad the Wise

Re: I can't be the only one hoping the new movie falls apart...

Post by Shakkad the Wise »

TheDukester wrote:
Shakkad the Wise wrote:... I thought it was still dead in the water.
It's not? There's been some signs of life?
Well, they hired a new screenwriter 7 months ago, which isn't a long time in movie-land. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a cast by spring. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if it never came out.
Each man is a little war.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Shakkad the Wise wrote:
TheDukester wrote:
Shakkad the Wise wrote:... I thought it was still dead in the water.
It's not? There's been some signs of life?
Well, they hired a new screenwriter 7 months ago, which isn't a long time in movie-land. I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a cast by spring. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if it never came out.

12-15 weeks is the standard time a writer is given to complete a draft of a screen play. They could be doing rewrites now.

Rob
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Omphalos wrote:
Shakkad the Wise wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
Shakkad the Wise wrote:most of the directors that the HLP would have the wit to try to hire
Just for the record, I think it will be Paramount, not the HLP, hiring the director. (If the need arises to hire a NEW one, I mean, since it seems Morel still holds the job.) ;)

And, yeah, SWORDS! :D

Yeah, in fairness, that's probably right. I wasn't aware Morel was attached to this thing, I thought it was still dead in the water.
Apparently the attachment of Morel has added no life whatsoever. Still looks dead to me.
Oh, please... Have some patience, people! Yes, movie scripts have been written in less time, but that's usually because they sucked. If a good Dune film is ever going to happen, it ought not to be rushed.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Fair enough, but it is kind of telling that there's been literally no news at all from this project lately.

Ten years ago, I would have said, "That's not evidence of anything; let's not rush to judgment." But now, in late 2010, we live in an era of instant information, especially as far as entertainment is concerned. The fact that there's no rumblings at all at IMDB, MTV News, SciFi Wire, or any of three dozen entertainment/film sites I could mention is possibly (probably?) a sign that no actual progress is being made. There's sites out there that will breathlessly report a draft of a script being completed; that just ain't happening for Kevin J. Anderson presents DUNE (2013): Young Paul's Story.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

TheDukester wrote:The fact that there's no rumblings at all at IMDB, MTV News, SciFi Wire, or any of three dozen entertainment/film sites I could mention is possibly (probably?) a sign that no actual progress is being made.
Nope. Sometimes the cards are played close to the chest in Hollywood, even these days. They don't put out a press release for every little script adjustment.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I'm not necessarily referring to people involved with the production.

Quite a bit of news in the internet era comes from outside/unofficial/amateur sources. It's pretty much the reason why a social retard like Harry Knowles can get a billion hits per month without ever going outside.

Also, jumping tracks a bit, there's simply no way a "look at me!" gadfly like TheKJA would be able to keep himself from Twatting/blogging/whatever if there was any news to report. He wouldn't be able to help himself. I take his silence on the subject to have some meaning.

It looks like we'll just disagree on this one. I see no indication at all that Dune (20-whatever) is moving forward. Of course, now that I'm on record, there's sure to be a press release coming out later this week ... :)
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I think the more likely answer to that is that KJA knows nothing about the project than that the project is doing nothing. Like it or not Dune isn't really big news right now, most people probably don't think of this project as anything more than a plan to remake some quirky 80's movie, it's not going to generate much buzz outside of hardcore fan circles until it's actually in production.

Nobody but people like us cares about how the script is coming, people want to hear about film locations, who's being cast in it, who's the producer (case in point, last we heard was when there was a new producer names), so forth and so on. Without name dropping or pics and such the answer to why we're not hearing anything is probably very simple simple:

No one other than us considers anything that's happening in preproduction/pre-casting phase to be news.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:No one other than us considers anything that's happening in preproduction/pre-casting phase to be news.
It's so cold in the margins, brrrrr :( :wink: