my new buy; Dune Encyclopedia 1st edition

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

lotek

my new buy; Dune Encyclopedia 1st edition

Post by lotek »

After realizing I did spend some money to read them stupidther nudunz shit, I thought if I have to read non canon stuff let it be something at least a bit more entertaining and respectful of Frank.

A quick search on Ebay, a little bidding fight and the DE 1st edition 1984 is mine(or will be when I get back to the UK and collect the parcel)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Serkanner
Administrator

Re: my new buy; Dune Encyclopedia 1st edition

Post by Serkanner »

Great win, congratulations!
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

w00t! :clap:

Fan fiction conceived and written with LOVE for the work, not love of the DOLLAR! :P
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

That cover art is cool.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

thanks for the cheering and rejoicing, I am quite pleased with myself! (no no variation on this will be allowed as a joke, or as a blunt statement, don't make me regret my choice of words! Hey I'll seat on my hand so it feels like someone else is turning the pages)
And even if I have seen it referenced a few times, I have never actually read it(in fact; I'd read Dune quite a few times before I learned of its existence)

I got The Road to Dune but it was a great disappointment to see that it was tainted by the two fumbling idiots, if I have to read non canon stuff at least it will be made by someone with a bit more respect.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Congrats!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Cheap as chips :) Enjoy.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Nice! I had to get mine for fifty bucks...I didn't know it could be that dirt cheap! Didn't KJA say that copies regularly sell for a few hundred a piece?
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Sandwurm88 wrote:Nice! I had to get mine for fifty bucks...I didn't know it could be that dirt cheap! Didn't KJA say that copies regularly sell for a few hundred a piece?
The price fluctuates loads.

A few years ago you were lucky to get one for under a ton.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

I just picked it up from the post office this morning ;)
First surprise it's much bigger than I thought!
Second surprise it's in pretty good condition for a book that's been around since 1984(nice touch with the date too ;))
And then the third surprises comes from the dictionnary aspect of it, after the Road to Dune I was half expecting bits and bobs in a disorderly fashion... (I actually thought that tRtD was just a compilation of notes, when most of it is the stupid kja dribble)

I just flicked through it as I am still rereading Heretics(Miles Teg is a true hero, the one who would refuse the crown after saving the realm in the old tale, but I digress), so it looks really interesting.
I suppose I still have to delve into it to find some discrepancies, but compared to what is called the official dune I am actually quite looking forward that process. I'm sure there is plenty of relevant information mixed with more far fetched stuff(but nothing anyone has or will have written can be worse than... yes you guessed it!)

As for the price I thought I remembered a thread mentionning they sold for a fair bit, but I assumed it only concerned some editions and not others...
I wouldn't want to speculate on the value but it would ne nice to know if I've stumbled on a valuable copy, so if anyone can help me on that that'd be cool.(but I'm quite happy as it is!)

Oh and pics!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

How many editions were there?

Mine's a first edition same as yours (1984 First publication in Great Britain) but I'm wondering if there was actually ever a second edition?
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Nice! I have that edition, too, but I paid a fair bit more than that for it!

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Hey, nice win! I got a first editino from ebay as well, but mine has a completely different picture on the cover. I think it must be the US edition.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

chanilover wrote:Hey, nice win! I got a first editino from ebay as well, but mine has a completely different picture on the cover. I think it must be the US edition.
Can you scan it for us?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

One of them?

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

DuneFishUK wrote:One of them?

That's the one I had.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That's the one I have. :dance:

(I love the old book smell. Sometimes I just stick my nose into it and sniff... :shifty: )
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I have that one too in tp.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

That is the one I had imported from the US in 1987 and was so proud when I recieved it. I had no idea at the time that bookstores were willing to import books from afar.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

DuneFishUK wrote:One of them?

Yeah, that's it. I got it on ebay uk, it's a bit smelly but good to flip through. It's definitely the US edition, I just checked and the publisher is in New York.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.