Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Dune Movies, opinions wanted

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:
merkin muffley wrote:What if Fenring fought Wolverine.
Kevin J. Anderson would write a book about it.

88 chapters. Outlined in a day. Dictahiked in a week. Daily emails to publisher saying "Where's my check"?
And just before Wolverine diced Fenring up Norma would blink him into an alternate universe.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Nekhrun wrote:
merkin muffley wrote:It's Spanktastic. What if Fenring fought Wolverine.
You could discuss that in my Stilgar v. Iron Man thread for Paul of Dune at Amazon.
You Know Who says:
I don't like this game. It's like I wrote something meaningful and then had it hijacked and completely taken out of context and filled with inconsistencies and errors.
Oh baby! This is just about as good as it gets. Shame on you guys for dumping on his opus, can't you see he's baring his soul for you?
You Know Who says:
Are you nuts?! Ironman flies you dumb.
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
D Pope

Post by D Pope »

Thanks Nek, I can't remember the last time I laughed like that! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

You've got a case of spice beer coming!

edit; May I suggest Prof. Minerva McGonnagle vs. The Shadout Mapes for your next matchup? You know, the spice makes you immune to direct magical attacks...
Leto II is gone for good, except for OM. The "pearl" was just that; a miniscule portion of what Leto was, and not a compressed version of the whole. The pearl that the worms have do not make them Leto, or in any way similar to him.
-Omphalos
lotek

Post by lotek »

Do I know who is you know who?

And it's not Aquaman it's Seaman and his faithful Swallow :)
Artis wrote:Dude Stilgar is so awesome he would make IRON MAN his wife.
That was funny :lol:
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

lotek wrote:Do I know who is you know who?
I think so.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

lotek wrote: And it's not Aquaman it's Seaman and his faithful Swallow :)
I hope they have Seaman in the Wonderwoman movie.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
lotek

Post by lotek »

Nekhrun wrote:
I think so.
:)
I think I knew who you know who is at some point but the information has disappeared for some reason...
Oh well I'm sure it'll come back!
merkin muffley wrote:
lotek wrote: And it's not Aquaman it's Seaman and his faithful Swallow :)
I hope they have Seaman in the Wonderwoman movie.
One usually follows the other.

Also, why don't Wonderwoman's clothes become invisible in her invisible plane? Life's not fair but I love Linda Carter!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

lotek wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:
I think so.
:)
I think I knew who you know who is at some point but the information has disappeared for some reason...
Oh well I'm sure it'll come back!
If you didn't know who it was then the name wouldn't be You Know Who, but You Don't Know Who.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Jodorowsky's Acolyte

Post by Jodorowsky's Acolyte »

It seems that more attention has been given toward that sentence of mine than towards my other statements on both film versions of DUNE. Since many here are confused by this sentence (and are probably tempted to take my water and throw my dehydrated flesh into the south polar regions to be devoured by H.R. Giger's rendition of Shai-Hulud), I shall explain what I meant.

After watching the theatrical film many times, I read the book, hoping that Frank Herbert would give more details as to what happened during the "two standard years" of Paul's desert war against the Harkonnens. When I got to the chapter where Duke Leto and Paul were discussing matters of politics, society, and economy, special attention was given to Salusa Secundus, and to the Saurdakar troops that were trained there. Because this information on Salusa Secundus seemed important to the story, I thought that Paul, along with his Fremen allies, would eventually have to go there for purposes that would aid his war against Shaddam IV.

I now realize that Paul and the Fremen wouldn't have been able to leave Arrakis to Salusa Secundus, in the book or in the film. Not at all in the film most of all, because the Guild has already seen that Paul would cut the spice flow, they are aware of almost all of Paul's actions, and they want him KILLED. If Paul had been able to sneak onto a Guild Heighliner, the oracular abilities of the Guildsmen would have snuff him out.

Of course, the Guild and its Navigators were wrong to place their trust in Shaddam IV to ensure that Paul would be killed, and the Guildsman (with the translator staff and nasal tube) was wrong to believe that the Emperor would stop Paul, and that Paul will not drink the WATER of LIFE!

(That's why they want me killed! They're afraid I'll drink the Water of Life!)

How could Lynch's Navigators be so oracular and omniscient, and yet have poor judgment in relying on people so inept as the Padishah Emperor and the "Floating Fat Man.

Sorry for the confusion I have caused with that statement of mine.

For the time being: YA! YA! YAWM! Acolytes and fanatics of Jacurutu! Stay on Topic!

BI-LA KAIFA.
Last edited by Jodorowsky's Acolyte on 26 Jul 2010 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
'...all those who took part in the rise and fall of the Dune project learned how to fall one and one thousand times with savage obstinacy until learning how to stand. I remember my old father who, while dying happy, said to me: "My son, in my life, I triumphed because I learned how to fail."' -Alejandro Jodorowsky
lotek

Post by lotek »

We thrive on confusion don't worry :)
Any excuse to go off topic is fair game!
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote:It seems that more attention has been given toward that sentence of mine than towards my other statements on both film versions of DUNE. Since many here are confused by this sentence (and are probably tempted to take my water and throw my dehydrated flesh into the south polar regions to be devoured by H.R. Giger's rendition of Shai-Hulud), I shall explain what I meant.

After watching the theatrical film many times, I read the book, hoping that Frank Herbert would give more details as to what happened during the "two standard years" of Paul's desert war against the Harkonnens. When I got to the chapter where Duke Leto and Paul were discussing matters of politics, society, and economy, special attention was given to Salusa Secundus, and to the Saurdakar troops that were trained there. Because this information on Salusa Secundus seemed important to the story, I thought that Paul, along with his Fremen allies, would eventually have to go there for purposes that would aid his war against Shaddam IV.

I now realize that Paul and the Fremen wouldn't have been able to leave Arrakis to Salusa Secundus, in the book or in the film. Not at all in the film most of all, because the Guild has already seen that Paul would cut the spice flow, they are aware of almost all of Paul's actions, and they want him KILLED. If Paul had been able to sneak onto a Guild Heighliner, the oracular abilities of the Guildsmen would have snuff him out.

Of course, the Guild and its Navigators were wrong to place their trust in Shaddam IV to ensure that Paul would be killed, and the Guildsman (with the translator staff and nasal tube) was wrong to believe that the Emperor would stop Paul, and that Paul will not drink the WATER of LIFE!

(That's why they want me killed! They're afraid I'll drink the Water of Life!)

How could Lynch's Navigators be so oracular and omniscient, and yet have poor judgment in relying on people so inept as the Padishah Emperor and the "Floating Fat Man.

Sorry for the confusion I have caused with that statement of mine.

For the time being: YA! YA! YAWM! Acolytes and fanatics of Jacurutu! Stay on Topic!

BI-LA KAIFA.
Paul would have no need to go to SS simply because the Fremen can beat the Sardukar and there are lots of Fremen. Throw in a home field advantange and they are better off fighting them on Dune then trying to sneak to SS. If they are going to sneak somewhere, book a trip to Kaitan to like kidnap the Emperor or something.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Plus the liklihood of the Guild taking him off planet to do such a thing without selling the information that Paul Atreides was still alive, seems kinda unlikely.

I get what you're saying though, it just doesn't line up.

No matter, minor point in your first post anyways.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Robspierre wrote:Duke Leto sent a tea that hit the Harkonnen's spice supplies.
Yes, those Atreides high teas, with those infamous "one bite and you're tripping" scones, were heavy on the spice stockpiles of any House forced to host one! :lol:

The Fremen would have had no need to visit Salusa Secundus because the point was that ARRAKIS represented a SECOND Salusa Secundus which had made its inhabitants (the Fremen) equally as badass as any Sardaukar.

Dune... basically unfilmable, if the efforts to date are any indication. (At least, that's what I'm hoping. Here's to Dune (2012) being a MASSIVE FAIL again! :lol: )

But it'll probably make a RAD VR epic! :D
Kojiro

Post by Kojiro »

SandChigger wrote:
Yes, those Atreides high teas, with those infamous "one bite and you're tripping" scones, were heavy on the spice stockpiles of any House forced to host one! :lol:

The Fremen would have had no need to visit Salusa Secundus because the point was that ARRAKIS represented a SECOND Salusa Secundus which had made its inhabitants (the Fremen) equally as badass as any Sardaukar.
Equally? I thought it was explained that the Fremen were MORE badass.
Has not religion claimed a patent on creation for all of these millennia?
-The Tleilaxu Question,
from Muad'dib Speaks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Whatever.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Jodorowsky's Acolyte wrote: are probably tempted to take my water and throw my dehydrated flesh into the south polar regions to be devoured by H.R. Giger's rendition of Shai-Hulud
Nah.
SandChigger wrote: The Fremen would have had no need to visit Salusa Secundus because the point was that ARRAKIS represented a SECOND Salusa Secundus which had made its inhabitants (the Fremen) equally as badass as any Sardaukar.
Word up. The Salusa Secundus "method" works for training a fighting force on Arrakis, and Frank Herbert (or David Lynch) doesn't need to take us to Salusa Secundus to tell that story. In fact, it's more effective and more in the style of FH if we don't go to Selusa Secundus, because it creates a vast backstory in our minds. FH is great at creating an impression of thousands of years of history by giving us only a glimpse. Spanky spoils all of this by going into the backstory for the sake of unnecessary and totally unconvincing action sequences. Paul on SS would be unnecessary and would diminish the Sardaukar for the audience.

(EDIT: Wow, this 5AM post is clear as mud, but I'm just gonna leave it...)

Sandchigger wrote:Dune... basically unfilmable, if the efforts to date are any indication.
It's almost impossible for me to imagine Dune being successfully made into a 2-hour feature.
Last edited by merkin muffley on 27 Jul 2010 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
lotek

Post by lotek »

Kojiro wrote:
SandChigger wrote:

Equally? I thought it was explained that the Fremen were MORE badass.
Fremen on Arrakis have the advantage of being trained to shieldless combat, the Sardaukar were good but still their training involved shields, just like all other fighting forces of the Imperium.
Plus the Sardaukar had become a bit complacent as their reputation preceded them, and no one knew how good the Fremen were until it was too late.

No reason for the Fremen to go on Salusa Secundus during the guerilla wars, and after Paul wins the Imperium turning SS into an easy world is a much better way to defeat the Sardaukar.
Last edited by lotek on 27 Jul 2010 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
lotek

Post by lotek »

And Dune the movie will suck, unless a mysterious plague wipes out all the HLP and Spanky, and the audience wins a brain ready to accept the complexity of Dune... so never really...

Thing is the book was not about action sequences, when FH uses them they are short and very relevant to the story, so trying to force an action movie out of it is just as wrong as turning it into a fucking rise of the machines(T3 sucked biiig time btw)
Superdog

Post by Superdog »

I think it would be possible to make a worthy Dune adaptation, but you would have to have a very good group of very talented people. Which of course can be hard to find if it's being done as "studio project".
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:

Dune... basically unfilmable, if the efforts to date are any indication. (At least, that's what I'm hoping. Here's to Dune (2012) being a MASSIVE FAIL again! :lol: )

But it'll probably make a RAD VR epic! :D

Don't forget to stick the damn pinky out!

Rob
twistedmentat

Post by twistedmentat »

I have to agree with w/ Chigger and Merk, Dune is unfilmable especially in two hours. I also agree with Lotek that as long as the Hacks and the HLP are around as potential "consultants" for the film, the end result would be some hideous action packed, special effects heavy, fecal -esque adaptation.

I can see it now Shia Lebouf as Paul, Nickle Back doing the score (...shudder), and a myriad of other directorial "artistic" interpretational blasphemies.

But part of me hopes that out of the shadows a director/producer team would come, who are die hard fanatics like us, who would produce an epic that rejects the typical hollywood sci-formula. A film, ( or pehaps films) that would leave us simultaneously satisfied and misty eyed as the credits began to roll. Dare to dream......

I mean is that too much to ask? I'm a fan of LoR and i think Peter Jackson did a great job. I remember being skeptical at first, but I was pleased at the end when i first saw fellowship.

Although my buddy next to me wasn't as pleased and kept screaming, "Where the fuck was Tom Bombadil???" But he is also the sort of guy who has a huge hand drawn map of middle earth that covers 3/4 of the biggest wall in his living room, who on more than one occasion has been found locked in his basement with a case of mountain dew, an 8 ball, and ten lbs. of beef jerky; sitting in front of computer screen playing Warcraft w/ a Rush cd on infinite loop for up to a 48 hour stretch. But thats cool, judge not lest ye be judged.....wait i had a point....

Oh my point was that if LoR can be adapted, and granted it's more action oriented and easily adaptable to film, why can't they give Dune a legitimate attempt?
:tissue2:

I mean i'm just sayin.....
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

twistedmentat wrote:fecal -esque
:clap: Word-coinage award candidate! :lol:
I can see it now Shia Lebouf
Look around here a bit and there's a thread somewhere with more of Shia visible than you ever would want to see. :doh:
"Where the fuck was Tom Bombadil???"
Um...yeah, right. This is one of those "I'll never understand that" thingies.

Hey, we should try to decide what the Dune equivalent of Bombadil is! Something that shouldn't be included in the movie under any circumstance! :D
found locked in his basement with a case of mountain dew
That's really sad. People just don't realize, we're losing a whole generation to that nasty sick-pee-colored elixir of death. (It's a tragic but open secret on this forum that one of our leading members is a... "Dewhead." We've organized several interventions, but he's managed to elude us every time so far. One day, gods willing.... :cry: )

(Oh, btw, NICE avatar! :clap: )
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

In terms of the movie Bombadil was left out because it didn't move the story along, according to Jackson. (Which makes sense).
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote:
twistedmentat wrote:found locked in his basement with a case of mountain dew
That's really sad. People just don't realize, we're losing a whole generation to that nasty sick-pee-colored elixir of death. (It's a tragic but open secret on this forum that one of our leading members is a... "Dewhead." We've organized several interventions, but he's managed to elude us every time so far. One day, gods willing.... :cry: )
I'd better go stand over here now...

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:Something that shouldn't be included in the movie under any circumstance!
Weirding modules? Heart-plugs? Sting?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.