Similar movies to Dune movies that fans might enjoy.

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

MrFlibble

Re: Similar movies to Dune movies that fans might enjoy.

Post by MrFlibble »

trang wrote:How many true sci-fi fans have commited Seppuku because of all the horrifically bad D list made for tv movies?? Might be spontaneous laughing self to death syndrome too. As much as I would rather swallow a bucket of razor blades than watch Starship Troopers, I would take that over anything syfry makes.

Just bad bad bad bad bad... not even b film bad... just freaking KJA level bad!!
There's no need to take this all too seriously. Besides, that movie has a rather nice-looking female lead :wink:
WHAT IF YOU NO LONGER HEAR THE MUSIC OF LIFE?
MEMORIES ARE NOT ENOUGH UNLESS THEY CALL YOU TO NOBLE PURPOSE!
Eru

Post by Eru »

Freakzilla wrote:I think it was Penny Arcade that said the difference between "plagiarism" and "a tribute to" is whether you like it or not. :wink:
:clap:

You are all forgetting the greatest SciFi epic masterpiece of all time: Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension!
If there's anything I've learned from working with monkeys, it's that there is no problem which cannot be solved by flinging poo at it.
Kensai

Post by Kensai »

trang wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:This winner was on Syfy last night... so was Mongolian Death Worms...

Sand Serpents

How many true sci-fi fans have commited Seppuku because of all the horrifically bad D list made for tv movies?? Might be spontaneous laughing self to death syndrome too. As much as I would rather swallow a bucket of razor blades than watch Starship Troopers, I would take that over anything syfry makes.

Just bad bad bad bad bad... not even b film bad... just freaking KJA level bad!!
Seppuku :mrgreen:
Survival is the ultimate ideology Image
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You would prefer maybe "hairy carry"? :lol:
Kensai

Post by Kensai »

Me Earlier wrote: OBTW I heard KJA tried to take credit for Avatar by saying Cameron based it of one of his books? (yeah right)
Actually it was you Chig on Face Book.
Chig on Facebook wrote: In his latest attempt to suck off some of the attention rightly being given to someone else's work, Kevin J. Anderson is now claiming that some of his books were inspirations for James Cameron's new Avatar movie.

In a Twitter Twit posted yesterday, TheKJA (doesn't that name say it all?) writes:

Yes to all who sent messages:Cameron definitely must've read Saga of 7 Suns. Wish he'd made *that* movie, but glad he found it inspirational
7:22 AM Dec 28th from web

Is there anyone here who has both seen the movie and read those books and who has any idea what this egomaniac hack is talking about?
Last edited by Kensai on 28 Jun 2010 11:01, edited 2 times in total.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

KJA will eventually claim that Frank Herbert was truly prescient and that he stole the idea for the Dune books from KJA's McDune books.

Wait for it. :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
lotek

Post by lotek »

Kensai wrote:
SandChigger wrote:OBTW I heard KJA tried to take credit for Avatar by saying Cameron based it of one of his books? (yeah right)
he tries to take credit for everything so no surprise there...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Kensai

Post by Kensai »

SandChigger wrote:KJA will eventually claim that Frank Herbert was truly prescient and that he stole the idea for the Dune books from KJA's McDune books.
:D :clap:

Kensai

Post by Kensai »

Me Earlier wrote: OBTW I heard KJA tried to take credit for Avatar by saying Cameron based it of one of his books? (yeah right)
Actually it was you Chig on Face Book.
Chig on Facebook wrote: In his latest attempt to suck off some of the attention rightly being given to someone else's work, Kevin J. Anderson is now claiming that some of his books were inspirations for James Cameron's new Avatar movie.

In a Twitter Twit posted yesterday, TheKJA (doesn't that name say it all?) writes:

Yes to all who sent messages:Cameron definitely must've read Saga of 7 Suns. Wish he'd made *that* movie, but glad he found it inspirational

Is there anyone here who has both seen the movie and read those books and who has any idea what this egomaniac hack is talking about?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yep, he Twatted it, we reported it.

Of course, he never mentions the fact that he stole a hell of a lot of the first S7S book from Dan Simmons' Hyperion books. ;)

(I've just skimmed the first S7S book. No way in hell I was going to read the whole thing, let alone the six sequels! :hand: That's why I asked if there were people who HAD read them.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

Chig on Facebook wrote:Cameron definitely must've read Saga of 7 Suns. Wish he'd made *that* movie, but glad he found it inspirational
What an unbelievable douchebag.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Yeah, that was a classic ... one of his more legendary Twattings.

He dropped the subject pretty quickly, too. One wonders if he took a little heat from various quarters after posting such an asinine thought. :think:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Yeah, what an idiot, right after he typed that he probably realized that Avatar was written well over a decade before any of his SSS shit came out.
lotek

Post by lotek »

the human douche bag wrote:Yes to all who sent messages:Cameron definitely must've read Saga of 7 Suns. Wish he'd made *that* movie, but glad he found it inspirational
probably just a couple of quote job fanboys trying to get some attention(well they did find the proper way to do it didn't they?)
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Yeah, what an idiot, right after he typed that he probably realized that Avatar was written well over a decade before any of his SSS shit came out.
you must be joking!
He is really that full of himself that he wouldn't have checked such basic facts?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Yeah, what an idiot, right after he typed that he probably realized that Avatar was written well over a decade before any of his SSS shit came out.
you must be joking!
He is really that full of himself that he wouldn't have checked such basic facts?
You need an emoticon there to indicate sarcasm. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
lotek

Post by lotek »

who does?

ow crap my brain is melting after 7hrs straight in front of my pc...
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Lawrence of Arabia?

Maybe Khartoum, Che, and Battle of Algiers as well...
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Abraxas wrote:Lawrence of Arabia?
Don't tell me you don't see the parallels. :shock:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Freakzilla wrote:
Abraxas wrote:Lawrence of Arabia?
Don't tell me you don't see the parallels. :shock:
I definitely see parallels, It's not scifi though so I thought I might be stretching the intention of the thread a bit. Lawrence is amazing, it's my all time favorite movie. (Blade Runner is a close second) :D
A Thing of Eternity

Blade Runner really dissapointed me when I first saw it, expecting this SF masterpiece. Don't get me wrong, every inch of it was awesome, but it was seriously too short. It felt very rushed, and cut off at the ending. Sometime soon I'll have to read the book to see if there was more that just got chopped off (I've heard the movie was kinda just loosely based on the book anyways).
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:Blade Runner really dissapointed me when I first saw it, expecting this SF masterpiece. Don't get me wrong, every inch of it was awesome, but it was seriously too short. It felt very rushed, and cut off at the ending. Sometime soon I'll have to read the book to see if there was more that just got chopped off (I've heard the movie was kinda just loosely based on the book anyways).

Thats the weird thing about Blade Runner. I didn't care much for it the first time around, but somehow the second watch made all the difference. It grows on you over time. For me, it's not even all that much about the plot of the film. It's more the overall atmosphere that I fell in love with. The book is totally different though. The movie is like 80% Ridley Scott, 20% Philip K Dick. Only accurate adaptation of Phil thus far has been A Scanner Darkly.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Abraxas wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Only accurate adaptation of Phil thus far has been A Scanner Darkly.

I just saw that on Netflix a few months ago. Loved it. I haven't read the book though so I can't comment on the accuracy.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Abraxas wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:Blade Runner really dissapointed me when I first saw it, expecting this SF masterpiece. Don't get me wrong, every inch of it was awesome, but it was seriously too short. It felt very rushed, and cut off at the ending. Sometime soon I'll have to read the book to see if there was more that just got chopped off (I've heard the movie was kinda just loosely based on the book anyways).

Thats the weird thing about Blade Runner. I didn't care much for it the first time around, but somehow the second watch made all the difference. It grows on you over time. For me, it's not even all that much about the plot of the film. It's more the overall atmosphere that I fell in love with. The book is totally different though. The movie is like 80% Ridley Scott, 20% Philip K Dick. Only accurate adaptation of Phil thus far has been A Scanner Darkly.
I've been meaning to see Scanner, maybe I'll rent it this weekend.

Don't get me wrong, I love Blade Runner, and agree it's all about the atmosphere and cinematography. Every time I see it I enjoy it more too, now that I'm not full of expectations that won't be fulfilled. I just expected more story when I first saw it. Now I can just appreciate it for an extremely well done piece of short fiction.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shock:

Blade Runner's like Silence of the Lambs: it's one of those movies I can watch again and again and again and not get tired of it. If I'm just flipping through the channels looking for something to watch and it's on, I'll watch it. No idea how many times I've seen it, couldn't hazard a guess...

Ah well. ;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It puts the lotion in the basket else it gets the hose again.
~Pink Snowman