New Dune Movie

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

orald wrote:
Other Works:Fiction (with Brian Herbert): "Dune: House Atreides", "Playboy" (USA), November 1999, p. 84-86+142-146.
Playboy?! Hot damn, there's gonna be an extended Fremen orgy scene?! :o :D
Hopefully only written for Playboy **shudders**
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
A_Kalisandra_M

Post by A_Kalisandra_M »

Freakzilla wrote:Know what rodeo sex is? Call her the wrong name durring sex then see how long you can hang on.

:P
I thought that was "pulling a bronco"?
"That is not dead, which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons, even death may die..."

~ Lovecraft
A_Kalisandra_M

Post by A_Kalisandra_M »

Omphalos wrote:Luck had nothing to do with it. Somewhere in Hell a demon has his left testicle, and someday soon will have his soul.
I shall always remember this when I see his annoying face all over the media!

~ Lovecraft
A_Kalisandra_M

Post by A_Kalisandra_M »

Tleszer wrote:No screenwriting credits, but apparently he likes to pretend that he's Luke Skywalker...
That explains a lot!

~ Lovecraft
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Tleszer wrote:
orald wrote:
Other Works:Fiction (with Brian Herbert): "Dune: House Atreides", "Playboy" (USA), November 1999, p. 84-86+142-146.
Give me a Pain Box to take away the thought... :shock:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

A_Kalisandra_M wrote:
Omphalos wrote:Luck had nothing to do with it. Somewhere in Hell a demon has his left testicle, and someday soon will have his soul.
It's why in most of his pictures on the Net his face has that "Oh, God, I'm gonna cum...please don't let me cum until this is over!" look.

:shock:

(Edit: Sorry...makes more sense with the context in which it occurred to me, eh!)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A_Kalisandra_M

Post by A_Kalisandra_M »

SandChigger wrote:
A_Kalisandra_M wrote:
It's why in most of his pictures on the Net his face has that "Oh, God, I'm gonna cum...please don't let me cum until this is over!" look.

:shock:

(Edit: Sorry...makes more sense with the context in which it occurred to me, eh!)
Ah, no that is funny!

~ Lovecraft
valys

Post by valys »

Tleszer wrote:
orald wrote:
It appeared in the romanian version of playboy, too (one of the few issues I have, of course :mrgreen: ). It's a fragment from the chapter from House Atreides where Duncan is haunted by Rabban.

Edit: actually, that was my first contact with the prequals. Little did I know...
Like I said before, I never repeat myself.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

valys wrote:
Tleszer wrote:
orald wrote:
It appeared in the romanian version of playboy, too (one of the few issues I have, of course :mrgreen: ). It's a fragment from the chapter from House Atreides where Duncan is haunted by Rabban.

Edit: actually, that was my first contact with the prequals. Little did I know...
Wow. An 8 page chapter "fragment." I would have thought an eight page spread would have four chapters in it. Im impressed.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, I haven't seen the issue in question, but I can only imagine that with the layout of most magazines there's probably not a full page of text anywhere in there.

No reason, then, to suppose the "chapter" is any longer than three or four book pages. ;)

(Someday, if sufficiently bored, I'll go through and try to see what the lengths of their longest and shortest "chapters" are. Along with the average. Leto has created a statistics thread now, after all. :) )
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I probably have not picked up a Playboy since the 'net came along (why pay?), but I seem to recall them taking fiction pretty seriously, and limiting the number of ads on the pages that stories were on.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

valys wrote:
Tleszer wrote:
orald wrote:

I'm sure you bought the magazine for that article... :wink:
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Rakis wrote:
valys wrote:
Tleszer wrote:
orald wrote:

Get real man, It's a skin mag and he got it for the skin :) . It was just unfortunate that the co-joined twits of sci-fi dumped a loaf in his copy.

edit to add forgotten smiley
Last edited by inhuien on 30 Mar 2008 14:07, edited 1 time in total.
orald

Post by orald »

Omphalos wrote:I seem to recall them taking fiction pretty seriously
Oh yes, and we can see the proof of that with said exerpt from House Atreides. :roll:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Playboy's fiction is usually walls of text and a quick check of my "archives" confirms this.

Rob
Leto

Post by Leto »

According to you what actors should play in it?
Will they have money to pay for hollywood stars?
If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets
Gurney Halleck
KJA ? Keep Just Away?
Filo
orald

Post by orald »

You can trust the sneaky weasels to at least be able to get their hands on a fat funder. Dune is still a hot name...no thanks to them.

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

inhuien wrote:
Rakis wrote:
valys wrote:
Tleszer wrote:
orald wrote:

Get real man, It's a skin mag and he got it for the skin :) . It was just unfortunate that the co-joined twits of sci-fi dumped a loaf in his copy.

edit to add forgotten smiley
:lol: :lol:

I know ! I know ! I was just teasing ! :twisted:
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I've just been catching up on some old Vangelis LP's today, Aye I'm a vinyl fan, God it would be so nice if they had the sense enough to let him do the soundtrack.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

With Berg as director...?

Attention, Sense has left the building.

Seriously, though, has anyone been able to find out HOW BIG A DUNE FAN Berg really is?
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

More importantly, which producers have final cut. Also which studio people have enough pull to meddle with the screenplay. Finally, what aspects of the story will the screenwriter/s focus on?

Rob
orald

Post by orald »

Robspierre wrote:Finally, what aspects of the story will the screenwriter/s focus on?
Why, the l33t slow-mo lasgun fights of course! :D

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

inhuien wrote:I've just been catching up on some old Vangelis LP's today, Aye I'm a vinyl fan, God it would be so nice if they had the sense enough to let him do the soundtrack.
Oh yes...Friends of Mr. Cairo and Blade Runner...Good call Inhuien :P

Indeed, I really think the music needs to be a musical score only, i don't want any lyrics to explain the mood...let Gurney do the explaining about moods... :mrgreen:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:It doesn't work like that my friends. Hollywood is the big fish of the entertainment biz and they know it. You get paid for your rights, however handsomely, but that's all you get. The studios have complete control on what is or is not in their film (and it is "theirs" once they've purchased it from you). I've never heard of any property owner ever getting any say on film rights once sold to a studio. EVER. If they do have input, it's a courtesy by the director/producer/creative controllers hired by the studios (ie, the case of Lynch and Frank, as an example).

Writers and their work are universally shit upon in the studio system and they are the bottom of the barrel. Just ask Frank Miller or Alan Moore. KJA and BH will be given the exact same treatment.

This is why so many film adaptations have been dragged through the dirt. If the owners knew what spawn would have come from their rights, they likely wouldn't have sold them. But then again, the studios know this and they offer top dollar. Hard for anyone to say no when the studios offer to buy your property for a million dollars :)

Actually, Frank Miller was one such hold out. He refused to sell any rights for his books to Hollywood. It wasn't until Robert Rodriguez came along with a short film of Sin City that Frank was finally sold on an adaptation.

Digressing, that's the way the studios have worked for countless properties and there's no way Dune is any exception. It'll get bought and paid for and Paramount will run it their way. It's Paramount's own internal and creative decisions we must fear and there is plenty of reasons to fear them. Oh gawd, the many reasons... :)

Besides, injecting prequel elements into Dune wouldn't be possible since (assuming the HLP is smart) the studios do not own the rights to the prequel books as yet. Now, I've never credited the HLP with an overabundance of brains, but I'd definitely count on their greed to ensure they haven't sold anything "prequel".

Hmmm. Looks like I was right:
Anderson wrote:Director Peter Berg will helm a new version of Dune. Can you tell us about it? What is your involment with this project?

Brian and I are co-producers on the film, which means we will be involved in some of the creative aspects. That's really all I can say right now.
Source

Certainly sounds like I was right, doesn't it? These assholes are not just on board for some mythical Hollywoodland reason that nobody understands. They are there to insert Norma and all that other bullshit.

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Nope. As I said many a time now, it will be a Paramount/Berg&Misher decision. If advice/creative input is actually taken from KJA/BH, it'll be because Paramount/Berg&Misher wishes it so.
GamePlayer wrote:Like I said, the studios have it now and they'll run it their way. As always, it's now Paramount's decisions that are to be feared
And come to fear them we will, especially if they choose to listen to anything "creative" KJA/BH have to say. As for KJA, what did I say he'd do?
GamePlayer wrote:And whatever you do, don't listen to any of the BS chest beating and back slapping that these two (KJA/BH) are going to be posting on their blogs or quoted as saying in the many promotional circuit publications yet to come. They are only merely involved in a long process, but they'll talk it up like they're hitting on a super model way out of their league at a celebrity party that they just happened to be invited to as a courtesy
Bang! Dead solid perfect! And what do we have but that blow-hard KJA talking up his BS in an interview, just like I said would.

And I have to say I'm surprised you would trust KJA's words from an interview of all things, especially when you said:
Omphalos wrote:And I don't really care what the HLP says about who owns the film now. I don't trust a damn thing that comes out of any of their mouths anymore.
Our debate of nuances aside, this latest news is black mark #... ah hell, who knows now. I've lost track. Every piece of news about this new Dune film is getting worse and worse, as I feared it would. If there's any hope for this new Dune adaptation, I can only pray I'm dead wrong.