Dune has a new director, apparently.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

RedHeadKevin

Dune has a new director, apparently.

Post by RedHeadKevin »

Paramount has found a new director for its remake of the sci-fi classic Dune, after Peter Berg dropped off the project in October. The studio has hired Taken helmer Pierre Morel to oversee the movie. Paramount is currently looking for a new writer to incorporate Morel’s vision of the project into the original draft by Quantum of Solace scribe Josh Zetumer. Morel plans to make a very faithful adaptation of the 1965 book by Frank Herbert. The movie is a high priority for Paramount’s production chief Adam Goodman. Kevin Misher and Richard Rubinstein are producing.
http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/01/04/dune-remake/
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43532
I don't recommend anyone drink their thigh pad water. It tastes really bad, like ass and dirt.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Re: Dune has a new director, apparently.

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Sorry, but who is this guy? What is his filmography?
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

The only thing I know that he directed is...Taken, from 2008. Ugh. Here's the official list:

As cinematographer
2002 : The Transporter
2003 : Something's Gotta Give (second unit, Paris)
2005 : Unleashed
2006 : Love and Other Disasters
2006 : Arthur and the Minimoys (models)
2007 : War

As director
2004 : District 13
2008 : Taken
2010 : From Paris with Love
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

They seem to be picking nobodies for this job, I'd think bigger names would want in on it.

It's nice to hear the firt comment out the gate to be "faithful adaptation" though.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

"As director
2004 : District 13"

So close...
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

TAKEN was a very good movie. Morel is a better director than Berg in my opinion. His resume paints him as an "action" director but he his a protege of Luc Besson, so there is some hope that the story will not be to truncated.

Edited to add: Seems Mr Producer Kevin J. Hackerson isn't high enough on the producer totem pole to have been told, he still hasn't twatted about this news.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hackerson & Herbovore FOR THE LOSE!!! :lol:

Pierre is French for Peter, right?

And Morel is a variation of Morsel, which is Franco-Swedish for "something to nibble on" (as in SmorgassBerg), no?

:laughing:

YES!!!

Still on target for a major FAIL!
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
lotek

Post by lotek »

I'd never heard the name of that Morel geezer and I'm French, but unfortunately being linked to Besson is no longer a proof of quality these days...
He's more known for milking the franchise over and over again than true cinematographic art...

In more ways than one Besson is very much alike the hack, they have in common their fondness for quantity over quality.

I've looked around a few interviews and he seems a reasonable guy, but still with the "action director' tag, so we'll see how he copes with the philosophical side of Dune(something I haven't seen in his movies yet, but I only saw Disctrict 13 and the Transporter so there you go)

It's often mentionned he plans to make a faithful adaptation but don't they all?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
13athroom

Post by 13athroom »

ten bucks says the first trailer is in 100% slow-mo and features music by some crap band like drowning pool or disturbed.
oooh-ah-ah ah-ah, mothergrabbers!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:They seem to be picking nobodies for this job, I'd think bigger names would want in on it.

No one wants to ruin their career.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Sandwurm88 wrote:The only thing I know that he directed is...Taken, from 2008. Ugh. Here's the official list:

As cinematographer
2002 : The Transporter
2003 : Something's Gotta Give (second unit, Paris)
2005 : Unleashed
2006 : Love and Other Disasters
2006 : Arthur and the Minimoys (models)
2007 : War

As director
2004 : District 13
2008 : Taken
2010 : From Paris with Love
I haven't seen ANY of those movies. I just saw a commercial for From Paris with Love (Is that supposed to be a joke?) last night. John Travolta's bald and bearded head gave me nightmares.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
13athroom

Post by 13athroom »

13athroom wrote:ten bucks says the first trailer is in 100% slow-mo and features music by some crap band like drowning pool or disturbed.
oooh-ah-ah ah-ah, mothergrabbers!
heres the trailer for this dudes latest up and coming release:

...upping my bet to TWENTY bucks.

i agree with freak. travoltas head is a terrible thing. hopefully they dont overlook the possibility of casting travoltas awful head in this new dune flick.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Maybe Travolta's Awful Head could be the new look for the Guild navigators?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:Maybe Travolta's Awful Head could be the new look for the Guild navigators?
...or it could play the Baron's globe of Arrakis.

~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

"Faithful Adaptation": Legal Insurance requirement Hollywood must use in press releases to make sure fanboys don't burn down their sets.

Generally I translate it as "We'll change as few things as possible, but those things will be major plot points and we'll change them so much as to make them unrecognizable. Basically, there will be a giant psychic vagina squid that saves humanity in our film because so many people wanted that in Watchmen.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ampoliros wrote:"Faithful Adaptation": Legal Insurance requirement Hollywood must use in press releases to make sure fanboys don't burn down their sets.

Generally I translate it as "We'll change as few things as possible, but those things will be major plot points and we'll change them so much as to make them unrecognizable. Basically, there will be a giant psychic vagina squid that saves humanity in our film because so many people wanted that in Watchmen.
:lol: Nice.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Ampoliros wrote:"Faithful Adaptation": Legal Insurance requirement Hollywood must use in press releases to make sure fanboys don't burn down their sets.

But there wasn't.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Right. But we WANTED it. :lol:

Hey, maybe the worms in this one will have mouths like vulvas and tails like penises and they can do the ouroboros and go fuck themselves ... kinda like the HLP! :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Redstar wrote:

But there wasn't.
Once again, Redstar, huh?

Edited to make it clear who I was Huh?ing.

Goodnight Golden Path!
13athroom

Post by 13athroom »

Omphalos wrote:
Redstar wrote:

But there wasn't.
Once again, huh?
the watchmen graphic novel featured an invasion by gigantic tentacles in its climax. the watchmen movie featured a nuclear detonation in its climax.

and the fanboys cried.

also to be noted; doc manhattan's wiener was motionless in the graphic novels. In the movie It bobbed around a bit.

fanboy verdict:
happy as punch.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

13athroom wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Redstar wrote:

But there wasn't.
Once again, huh?
the watchmen graphic novel featured an invasion by gigantic tentacles in its climax. the watchmen movie featured a nuclear detonation in its climax.

and the fanboys cried.

also to be noted; doc manhattan's wiener was motionless in the graphic novels. In the movie It bobbed around a bit.

fanboy verdict:
happy as punch.
I'm well aware of how the story ended in both media. But Amp said that the ending of the graphic novel would be in the film because people wanted it, but it wasn't, despite people wanting it.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Well then don't be a dumbass, boy.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I demand Vagina Squid and I will not rest until I see it on screen. I don't care where.
Redstar wrote:
13athroom wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Redstar wrote:

But there wasn't.
Once again, huh?

and the fanboys cried.

fanboy verdict:
happy as punch.
I'm well aware of how the story ended in both media. But Amp said that the ending of the graphic novel would be in the film because the fans wanted it, but it wasn't, despite the fans wanting it.
No I said that it would be in the new film because Hollywood thinks that's what fanboys want now because such a fuss was made about it being taken out of Watchmen. 'Cause "faithful adaptation" =/= "faithful adaptation" *without vagina squid

Put it in the Avatar deleted sex scene that's coming with the DVD. Then I might watch Avatar.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Ah. I get what you're saying now.

I wish for squid too, but the movie came off well enough without it.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I don't know about Vagina Squid,
but there was a stripper in Dallas
in the late sixties named Sucker Fish.

I think she had worked for Jack Ruby or something,
seems like that was at one the clubs he had owned,
tho, so maybe that's where I got the connection ....

anyway, what's all this about a new Dune movie ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008