Dune has a new director, apparently.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Mr. Teg

Re: Dune has a new director, apparently.

Post by Mr. Teg »

SandChigger wrote:Right. But we WANTED it. :lol:

Hey, maybe the worms in this one will have mouths like vulvas and tails like penises and they can do the ouroboros and go fuck themselves ... :)
At least that would be a "faithful adaptation" of the scene in the Pandora series. :wink:
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider wrote:I don't know about Vagina Squid,
but there was a stripper in Dallas
in the late sixties named Sucker Fish.
:laughing-rolling:
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

SandRider wrote:I don't know about Vagina Squid,
but there was a stripper in Dallas
in the late sixties named Sucker Fish.

I think she had worked for Jack Ruby or something,
seems like that was at one the clubs he had owned,
tho, so maybe that's where I got the connection ....

anyway, what's all this about a new Dune movie ?
HAHAHA! I've missed you on here, you miserable old git.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
lotek

Post by lotek »

definitely :)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Pierre Morel Talks ‘Dune’ Remake
While most people seem to have a love/hate relationship with David Lynch’s original 1984 film version of Frank Herbert’s Dune, I have nothing but love for it. I love that it wallows and gloomily meanders through intense and ambiguous visuals. I love that Sting is in it. I love that even upon a twentieth viewing, I still have many questions as to what it’s about.

It’s a film that takes its time, which apparently is a strategy director Pierre Morel is foregoing with his remake. Instead, he’s going for something “faster and more modern,” which he believes is more in line with Herbert’s books: “I’ve been reading [Dune] over and over again – well, I’m 45 now, so for 30 years,” Morel says. His film “is all about the first book. I’m trying to be very respectful to the original novel.”

I hate to be a doubting Thomas (and I’m all about resurrecting Herbert’s vision of Dune on the screen, as long as it brings something new to the table — there are books worth of material that no version has touched upon) but in no way shape or form is Dune a fast-paced book. While the specifics of Arrakis may have fluctuated in Lynch’s version, the pacing was pretty spot-on.

Says Morel: “We’ll try to figure out what things may look like 10,000 years from now; it’s all about reconfiguring the entire universe,” Morel says. He mentions wanting to modernize the clothes, and talks about plans that include “working with design concepts, futurists and scientists who will give us a vision of how technology may evolve with certain conditions.”

Of course, all of that starts with a script. Morel is assembling a team and writing a script from scratch for the Dune remake.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Apparently the above was sourced from here, http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/01/13/pie ... 4-version/
wondered, “is it reasonable to assume we’re on for a rather ballistic version of the story?” Yesterday the director spoke about his love of the book, and it seemed like he was trying to be right on the same page as ol’ Frank Herbert. Now more of his ideas are being reported, and he’s definitely going for something with a little more zip. Or, as he says with respect to David Lynch’s 1984 adaptation, “faster and more modern.”

MTV talked to Morel, and has been doling out his comments. Yesterday they ran his respectful ‘toe the literary line’ quotes and today we get some vague ‘here’s what I want to do’ statements.

First things first. Morel says he and his team are starting from scratch, rewriting the script. That writing process doesn’t start for a couple weeks, he says. Remember that cracking the script is what delayed former director Peter Berg for quite a while and ultimately pushed the movie off his plate.

“I’ve been reading [Dune] over and over again – well, I’m 45 now, so for 30 years,” Morel says. His film “is all about the first book. I’m trying to be very respectful to the original novel.”

But the question is: how to properly represent the future? He’s going by the hard-and-fast timeline of the book, which puts it thousands of years in the future. As Morel talks about this, minor alarm bells go off.

“We’ll try to figure out what things may look like 10,000 years from now; it’s all about reconfiguring the entire universe,” Morel says. He mentions wanting to modernize the clothes, and talks about plans that include “working with design concepts, futurists and scientists who will give us a vision of how technology may evolve with certain conditions.”

The latter point sounds good, since the whole idea should be to figure out what is appropriate to the characters based on the lives they live. Start ‘modernizing’ things left and right, and you get some instantly dated embarassments. I expect that Morel is just picking random points off the top of his head to get MTV off his back, and so I’m not putting a lot of emphasis on this stuff yet. Lets see if he can get the story and the politics condensed down into 150 pages and then see where things land. Odds on that actually happening: I’d go with about 40% for, 60% against. Dune has defeated many adaptations.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Scarey
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Seriously: 10-part series on HBO. That is how you give Dune some room to breathe.

My fear is that anything that gets put up on cinema screens is going to suck. Berg, a new guy, Peter Jackson, Alfred Hitchcock, whomever: it just doesn't matter who is directing. It's not a two-hour story.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Adding to that: EXCLUSIVE: 'Dune' Adaptation Will Be 'Very Respectful To The Original Novel,' Pierre Morel Says (The referenced interview, with a bit more from Morel)
As a David Lynch movie, I loved it,” he said of the 1984 “Dune” adaptation by the famously trippy “Twin Peaks” filmmaker. “As a ‘Dune’ fan, I was not such a big fan.

I’ve been reading it over and over again – well, I’m 45 now, so for 30 years. The fun story, actually, is that there were six books in that first series that Frank Herbert wrote. Every time I was going to buy a new one – because I couldn’t buy all six at one time – I was reading the previous ones so I would not forget anything. So, by the time I bought the sixth book I had already read the first one six times! So, I’m a hardcore fan.

[My movie] is all about the first book. I’m trying to be very respectful to the original novel,” he explained. “But it’s a challenge; there’s a lot of expectation, all the readers will be waiting for me with their shotguns. All the non-readers will also be waiting for us, because it’s such a complex, rich novel and you have to make it accessible to those who have not read the book. So, it’s a tough challenge but I’m very excited about that.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

And then he met the Assistant Producers...
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
lotek

Post by lotek »

Redstar wrote:Adding to that: EXCLUSIVE: 'Dune' Adaptation Will Be 'Very Respectful To The Original Novel,' Pierre Morel Says (The referenced interview, with a bit more from Morel)
As a David Lynch movie, I loved it,” he said of the 1984 “Dune” adaptation by the famously trippy “Twin Peaks” filmmaker. “As a ‘Dune’ fan, I was not such a big fan.

I’ve been reading it over and over again – well, I’m 45 now, so for 30 years. The fun story, actually, is that there were six books in that first series that Frank Herbert wrote. Every time I was going to buy a new one – because I couldn’t buy all six at one time – I was reading the previous ones so I would not forget anything. So, by the time I bought the sixth book I had already read the first one six times! So, I’m a hardcore fan.
Only 6 times? And only the first one??? You call yourself a hardcore fan????? KJA leave this body or we'll exorcize you, by Jacurutu I swear you won't do it again!!!

[My movie] is all about the first book. I’m trying to be very respectful to the original novel,” he explained. “But it’s a challenge; there’s a lot of expectation, all the readers will be waiting for me with their shotguns.
No it'll be lasguns you twat
All the non-readers will also be waiting for us,
No they won't, because they've never heard about it... think again: non readers? noooonnn reeaaaaddeerrrsss slow enough?
jeez we're fucked

because it’s such a complex, rich novel and you have to make it accessible to those who have not read the book. So, it’s a tough challenge but I’m very excited about that.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:[My movie] is all about the first book. I’m trying to be very respectful to the original novel,” he explained. “But it’s a challenge; there’s a lot of expectation, all the readers will be waiting for me with their shotguns.
No it'll be lasguns you twat
Crysknives

:cylon101:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

depends, if its enough of a sacrilege he might get the deathstill.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And it's 21,000 years in the future, fouquetarde! Argh! :roll:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:And it's 21,000 years in the future, fouquetarde! Argh! :roll:
I thought those exact words the moment I read "10,000".
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't think "modern" was a feeling I got from Dune either. Maybe it was all the ROBES!

:x
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

That and the medieval social structure.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I think I know why Dune hassn't translated well to screen. FH didn't put enough hats in the book and it freaks directors out.
~Pink Snowman
13athroom

Post by 13athroom »

Freakzilla wrote:I think I know why Dune hassn't translated well to screen. FH didn't put enough hats in the book and it freaks directors out.
as far as im concerned, this is the ONLY theory that matters on this subject.
lotek

Post by lotek »

Potential 2010s adaptation

A new film based on the book was announced in 2008, to be directed by Peter Berg and produced by Paramount Pictures.[39][40][41] Producer Kevin Misher, who spent a year securing the rights from the Herbert estate, would be joined by Richard Rubinstein and John Harrison (of both Sci Fi Channel miniseries) as well as Sarah Aubrey and Mike Messina.[39] Variety reported that the producers were looking for a "faithful adaptation" of the novel, and "consider its theme of finite ecological resources particularly timely."[39] Science fiction author Kevin J. Anderson and Frank Herbert's son Brian Herbert, who have together written multiple Dune sequels and prequels since 1999, are attached to the project as technical advisors.[42] In October 2009, Berg dropped out of the project, later saying that it "for a variety of reasons wasn't the right thing" for him.[43] Subsequently, with a 175-page script draft by Josh Zetumer, Paramount reportedly sought a new director who could do the film for under $175 million.[44] On January 4, 2010, Entertainment Weekly reported that director Pierre Morel was signed on to direct, with the studio still looking for a new writer "to incorporate Morel’s vision of the project" into Zetumer's original draft.[45]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28novel%29#Audiobook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ps that project is doomed if they let tinky and wanky be "technical", let alone advisors
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

lotek wrote:
Potential 2010s adaptation

A new film based on the book was announced in 2008, to be directed by Peter Berg and produced by Paramount Pictures.[39][40][41] Producer Kevin Misher, who spent a year securing the rights from the Herbert estate, would be joined by Richard Rubinstein and John Harrison (of both Sci Fi Channel miniseries) as well as Sarah Aubrey and Mike Messina.[39] Variety reported that the producers were looking for a "faithful adaptation" of the novel, and "consider its theme of finite ecological resources particularly timely."[39] Science fiction author Kevin J. Anderson and Frank Herbert's son Brian Herbert, who have together written multiple Dune sequels and prequels since 1999, are attached to the project as technical advisors.[42] In October 2009, Berg dropped out of the project, later saying that it "for a variety of reasons wasn't the right thing" for him.[43] Subsequently, with a 175-page script draft by Josh Zetumer, Paramount reportedly sought a new director who could do the film for under $175 million.[44] On January 4, 2010, Entertainment Weekly reported that director Pierre Morel was signed on to direct, with the studio still looking for a new writer "to incorporate Morel’s vision of the project" into Zetumer's original draft.[45]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune_%28novel%29#Audiobook" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ps that project is doomed if they let tinky and wanky be "technical", let alone advisors
There's a "great" quote somewhere where the fuzzy one recounts how he gave the producers lots of information and told them about the need for authenticity :lol:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
lotek

Post by lotek »

that goes back to the Berg aborted project I think :lol: :lol:
some people never learn...

So is it still that Frenchman doing it or did they change their minds again?
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I read on the internet that Ewe Boll is doing the film adaptation of the Dune RPG ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
lotek

Post by lotek »

SandRider wrote:I read on the internet that Ewe Boll is doing the film adaptation of the Dune RPG ....
:lol:
I was just reading about Bloodrayne today while looking for a movie to watch at work...
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

lotek wrote:
SandRider wrote:I read on the internet that Ewe Boll is doing the film adaptation of the Dune RPG ....
:lol:
I was just reading about Bloodrayne today while looking for a movie to watch at work...
I read failblog all morning.
~Pink Snowman