Guess who's back...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

DuneFishUK

Guess who's back...

Post by DuneFishUK »

Were KJA and Byron talking out of their bottoms?

Looks like they were, the clueless sods :P
EXCLUSIVE: 'Dune' Remake Will Have 'Hard PG-13' Rating With Franchise Potential, Reveals Peter Berg

Posted 3 hrs ago by Eric Ditzian in News

Is Peter Berg's adaptation of the sci-fi classic "Dune" going to happen? Almost two years have passed since the director confirmed his involvement with the project, a potential third take on Frank Herbert's 1965 novel after David Lynch's '84 movie and a Sci Fi Channel miniseries in 2000. While a first draft of the script has been completed, we were starting to wonder if Berg's "Dune" was one of those tantalizing cinematic possibilities that just never became a big screen reality.

Not so, Berg told MTV News. "Dune" is very much on—and to prove it, the director shared some details about what he has planned.

"There's definitely a franchise potential," he said, though he hastened to add that he has to complete the first one successfully before he can set to work on a second.

But there's certainly enough material. Josh Zetumer's script, Berg revealed, is almost 200 pages long—"a massive epic," Berg said—and it could potentially spawn more than just the one film. With the project still in the script phase, the task now for Berg and his team is to "figure out how we can beat [the script] into something manageable without offending the purists," he explained, as "filmmakers have struggled [in the past] because it's a very complicated book to crack."

As the creative beating and cracking continues, Berg promised his "Dune" won't be a retread of Lynch's avant-garde flick or the Sci Fi series, with its cable TV budget and special effects. "My experience with the book was different than David Lynch's experience or the people behind the Sci Fi Channel's experience. I found it to be more of an adventure tale, more of a muscular action/adventure story. I think that's my approach, not as an R-rated film, but as a pretty hard PG-13 film about a young man dealing with issues of vengeance over the death of his father and wanting some payback and having to come to terms with his destiny along the way."

What about those highly speculative rumors that Berg has his eye on "Twilight" star Robert Pattinson for a starring role, perhaps as the hero Paul Atreides, played by Kyle MacLachlan in 1984? When it came to casting talk, all Berg would say is he's looking at "guys in their late teens."

Does that disqualify the 23-year-old Pattinson? We'll have to wait and see.

Are you on board with Berg's intended "muscular action/adventure" treatment of Frank Herbert's classic novel? Which of the two existing "Dune" adaptations do you think was more effective? Which would Berg do best to borrow from?
http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/09/14/ex ... eter-berg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

200 page script is encouraging though - and average movie is 90-120 pages. Everything else he says... less so :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Lisan Al-Gaib

Re: Guess who's back...

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Obviously will be a movie for "The Twilight" girls and to sell toys for young boys...I think is going to be three movies only about the first book, and finishing without mentioning what terrible fate Paul released in the universe. There will be only happy ending (Because we know Paul only became "dark" some years after, am I right Kevin?).
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Franchise suggests something more than a stretched out single movie, so I imagine it'll be the first movie, a composite DM and CoD movie with lots of new action scenes, GEoD will be skipped, and we'll jump right into HoD and CH:D.
trang

Post by trang »

well that seems to counter the news freak got at the Dragon Con. If the movie is still on and berg is gonna continue the "adventure/action story" idea.. it would appear its mostly doomed. Oh well.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

maybe Berg kicked KJA and Brian out of the loop and Kev is expecting Brian to yank the license.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Ampoliros wrote:maybe Berg kicked KJA and Brian out of the loop and Kev is expecting Brian to yank the license.
Man, nothing would make me happier than all of these idiots getting in big pissing matches and ensuring that no Dune movie is made in the near future. They all deserve each other.

I also think Berg is discovering first-hand how difficult the HLP can be to deal with. They've always had a nasty reputation, no matter what the subject matter might be (movies, toys, games, comics, whatever). I'm sure some of what I've heard over the years has been blown out of proportion, but, still, where there's smoke, there's fire.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

YEA!

MASSIVE FAIL IS BACK ON!!! :laughing:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I feel that a Dune animated film would actually be the best direction. Animation is clearly doing things in terms of writing and use of visuals that (at least Western) film-making is not. There are also a lot of things (Jessica and Paul's WoL internal transformations, for example) that could better be shown through use of art rather than on film, with cheesy effects which more likely than not will seem like a kindergartner's drug trip.
trang

Post by trang »

Redstar, my friend Apjak and I have talked about that same idea, that animation seems a more flexible medium (fleshing out internal dialogues, complex visual scenes, etc)than live acting provides.

I would say though that it should be regular animation, not the Japanesse Anime`..., nothing against that form, has provided a lot of great things to the genre. Just dont think Speed Racer as Paul would go over very well.

DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Spotted this just before I went to bed last night:
Byron over there (Dune on Film>Berg Not Directing) wrote:He's not directing. It's been confirmed by Paramount higher-ups.
Has anyone told Berg that? :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Wasn't specifically recommending anime over animation in general, though I do believe they'd do well with it. I wouldn't say it's fair to compare the modern animation scene to Speed Racer, which was broadcast 21 years before the anime revolution.

EDIT:
DuneFishUK wrote:Spotted this just before I went to bed last night:
Byron over there (Dune on Film>Berg Not Directing) wrote:He's not directing. It's been confirmed by Paramount higher-ups.
Oh my god. It's a goddamned cluster-fuck. Right before our very eyes! :lol:
Last edited by Redstar on 15 Sep 2009 06:07, edited 1 time in total.
trang

Post by trang »

hopefully someone will figure out what the heck is going on, seems kinda kludged up. Byron and the HLP is reporting berg out, yet berg is walking blind and stating.. game on.. who to believe?

I was joking .. was referring more, to me, how all the anime I have seen has the same style buried under it (Giant out of proportion eyes.. the long dialogues before the characters go into action, the slow motion or stop frame scenes.. etc).

I am about as far from being an authority on anime as it gets.. I still love hannah barbara, smith and shutz, warner brothers stuff (droopy, tom and jerry). I watched Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets, G-force (not the silly ginne pig movie), Transformers, etc. Heck I even watched the first Vampire Hunter D when it was new in the video store, wierd but kinda cool.

Apjak introduced me to Evan Gellion, Animatrix, and a couple others I cant think of right now and they are pretty decent. I respect the format, overall not my cup of tea.

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

The typical anime style can be a bit jarring to unaccustomed eyes, but many of the aspects of that style are grounded in respectable reasons. The big eyes thing, for one, is because big eyes represent youth... So characters with those big, round eyes are supposed to be full of life and whatever else kids are like.

If a Dune anime were to be made, I'm not saying it'd be feature-film or anything, but it could do it justice. There's at least one anime out there that was heavily inspired by Dune, giant beasts in the desert and all.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Redstar wrote:Wasn't specifically recommending anime over animation in general, though I do believe they'd do well with it. I wouldn't say it's fair to compare the modern animation scene to Speed Racer, which was broadcast 21 years before the anime revolution.

EDIT:
DuneFishUK wrote:Spotted this just before I went to bed last night:
Oh my god. It's a goddamned cluster-fuck. Right before our very eyes! :lol:
:doh:

Maybe Dune Nerd can correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall KJA lamenting on how pittifully little his (or Brian's) input on the film would be.

So that's some good news.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ^^^

That's great news, Freak!! I can picture his whiny ass saying that, too...
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

Yes, I too recall him complaining about that. While everyone else in the room seemed to breath a sigh of relief. Until he said he wanted Dune to be like Twilight, he almost got lynched for that comment.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I assume he meant he wanted it to be as popular, right? (I'm also assuming Twilight is popular. :shifty: )

(Thanks, Sandwurm, for the image of KJA's Amazing Talking Buttocks™. :lol: )

(BTW, what are the timestamps on Byron's comment and Berg's statement? ;) )
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

Yea but it's always nice to take something out of context and get folks riled up. Sadly nobody bit.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Remarkably, I finding it very hard to care very much at all about the fool at the moment. :)
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Wait a sec wasnt Berg out of the project? Now i'm confused :think:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger wrote:Remarkably, I finding it very hard to care very much at all about the fool at the moment. :)
You're so full of love right now man, it's beautiful. :)
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

The Merritt quote about "Paramount higher-ups" was his direct response to the Berg article in the first post.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Oh, they just can't resist talking about all the alarm bells pointing to this new film as one big homogenized, dumbed-down, money grab for the environmentally conscious 16-24-year-olds. Franchise potential (= exploitation) and PG-13 (= mass market priority at the expense of source material) are EXACTLY the kinds of decisions I expected after considering the writing/producing/directing chumps involved in this movie. Good thing Berg is doing a Battleship adaptation next (yes, the board game), cause after this Dune film sinks like a rock, no one will know the former better than muscular Pete :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

I heard Steven Spielberg just secured the rights to Kerplunk...
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza