Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: on Simon's skecthes

Post by SandChigger »

What, "grumpy old men" didn't do it for ya? :lol:
Simon wrote:Nope. Just bored. :wink:
Yeah, not much stimulating shakin' over on Dumb Novels, huh? :D

(Don't worry, I know exactly what you meant. But thanks for dropping by to post your art, anyway.)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Simon

Post by Simon »

Still figuring out the digital stuff, my latest effort:

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Spice trance?

I don't get it.

Is it a Navigator? What?
Sole Man

on Simon's skectches.

Post by Sole Man »

I'd lie to see one of Simon's worms.

I mean Shai-Hulud, of course. :oops:
Simon

Post by Simon »

SandChigger wrote:Spice trance?

I don't get it.

Is it a Navigator? What?
Yup. That's right. My take on what a spice trance might be like from the Navigators point of view. I admit it's not much better than Lynch's vagina shooting lasers at planets, but I thought I'd try.

The original image I did has these holographic orbs at his "hands" as controls. Again, just a wild stab in the dark as far as what it might look like, a navigator actually flying his/her highliner. Sadly I couldn't figure out how to make them "holographic transparent", hence it looked like he was flying using beach balls (lol), so I dropped those for now.

BTW: Any ideas on what you guys think a navigator spice trance would look like/entail are welcome. The books are frustratingly scarce on technical detail. Like: 1.) How does the Navigator communicate his will to the crew? Is it through his speaker? Does he physically guide the ship himself by some means of console control?

Obviously he "sees" with his prescient vision but how does he guide the ship from inside his enclosure? Not TK. So how?
Pansyass

Post by Pansyass »

Simon wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Spice trance?

I don't get it.

Is it a Navigator? What?
Yup. That's right. My take on what a spice trance might be like from the Navigators point of view. I admit it's not much better than Lynch's vagina shooting lasers at planets, but I thought I'd try.

The original image I did has these holographic orbs at his "hands" as controls. Again, just a wild stab in the dark as far as what it might look like, a navigator actually flying his/her highliner. Sadly I couldn't figure out how to make them "holographic transparent", hence it looked like he was flying using beach balls (lol), so I dropped those for now.

BTW: Any ideas on what you guys think a navigator spice trance would look like/entail are welcome. The books are frustratingly scarce on technical detail. Like: 1.) How does the Navigator communicate his will to the crew? Is it through his speaker? Does he physically guide the ship himself by some means of console control?

Obviously he "sees" with his prescient vision but how does he guide the ship from inside his enclosure? Not TK. So how?
I have no idea!
Simon

Post by Simon »

The unaltered original page (thus far):

Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Its all conjecture, as far as I can recall, but navigators are supposed to have utility belts on.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Simon

Post by Simon »

DAMNIT!!! :x

Your right of course. Edric was always munching on spice capsules from his belt.

Arrrrgggg! :oops:

I should be able to add one...
EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

Don't they wear little black jumpsuits, too?
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
Simon

Post by Simon »

One utility belt!.... black jumpsuits? Don't recall those....

DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Nice belt! :P Digital is a useful tool as you get to grips with what it can do for you it starts getting more and more interesting :)

(Off topic: Have you seen a film called Renaissance? Watched it the other night and it looks amazing: it's all rendered in harsh black and white - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_(film) worth a gander :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Simon

Post by Simon »

I know, it's like it's all there in front of me, I just have to figure out the most economic uses for it. As to the belt... it wasn't strictly digital. I drew up the belt separately after some quick measurements and just rescanned the original page (belt in place), then I used the digital stuff to smooth out the rough edges. :)

Haven't heard of "Renaissance", though the Wiki entry sounded promising. I'll have to check it out.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Well, if an artist can't avail himself of "artistic license", who can, right? ;)

Another question: what's up with his left hand? Are you portraying/proposing asymmetrical development of the upper limbs?

The utility belt is nice...but how will he use it? (Especially with that giant(?), malformed(?) left hand.)

You might want to rethink the extent of the hand webbing, unless you're assuming that loss of manual (digital) dexterity will not be an issue.

Are you going to do the eyes later, or is the head/face finished?

(Btw, FH never mentions "spice trance" in connection with Navigators that I can find. There is one mention in House Harkonnen, in connection with D'murr.)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Another question: what's up with his left hand? Are you portraying/proposing asymmetrical development of the upper limbs?
Guildies from da Mote! :shock:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

None of your Crazy Eddie stuff now! :twisted:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

re: simon's new avatar & sig images -

didja get a can a kewl for christmas, Son ?

{much better than the last ones, tho - I toldya hanging around
here would be good for you}
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Simon

Post by Simon »

SandChigger wrote:Well, if an artist can't avail himself of "artistic license", who can, right? ;)

Another question: what's up with his left hand? Are you portraying/proposing asymmetrical development of the upper limbs?

The utility belt is nice...but how will he use it? (Especially with that giant(?), malformed(?) left hand.)

You might want to rethink the extent of the hand webbing, unless you're assuming that loss of manual (digital) dexterity will not be an issue.

Are you going to do the eyes later, or is the head/face finished?

(Btw, FH never mentions "spice trance" in connection with Navigators that I can find. There is one mention in House Harkonnen, in connection with D'murr.)
Actually it's a little thing called perspective (regarding the hands). The "camera"/P.O.V is located right by his left hand, which would make it appear larger than the hand further away. Though your eyes don't deceive as far as slight malformation goes, he is meant to appear a tad twisted muscle-wise (per the deformations mentioned in the books).

The face is indeed finished. I figured his eyes would barely register as more than black buttons, their being sunk into his/her/it's head and suffering from an atrophy of disuse.

Question: I noticed in your sig the quote about the '84 Dune film:
"David Lynch's Dune...all the characters were sexy and deformed at the same time." —John Hodgman

I'm guessing you disagree with the statement or find it to be idiotic (?)
Simon

Post by Simon »

SandRider wrote:re: simon's new avatar & sig images -
didja get a can a kewl for christmas, Son ?

"Can a kewl"? Sorry old dog, I don't savvy. If you must know the sig images were done by a friend of mine, I thought they were a scream. Shit, if you can't poke fun at yourself who can you make fun of?!?! :wink: :lol:

Anywho, Merry X-mas guys! Hope everyone has a great holiday season!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

ain't gonna start up with you this mornin', Son - gotta housefull of
screamin' little girls to deal with. {my grandaughters, Chig, not them
runaway waifs from the Mormon ranch I got hidden in the barn}{pervert.}

yeah, so anyway, Peace of Earth and where the fuck's my burbon ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SandRider wrote:ain't gonna start up with you this mornin', Son - gotta housefull of
screamin' little girls to deal with. {my grandaughters, Chig, not them
runaway waifs from the Mormon ranch I got hidden in the barn}{pervert.}

yeah, so anyway, Peace of Earth and where the fuck's my burbon ?
I think Arnoldo is hiding it from you. He wants you guess where he has it hidden. (HINT: it's on/in his person)
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Simon wrote:Actually it's a little thing called perspective (regarding the hands). The "camera"/P.O.V is located right by his left hand, which would make it appear larger than the hand further away.
Fuck you, too. I was referring to the completely different shape, and apparent lack of syndactyly. (Everyone, when I need an explanation of perspective from the likes of this one, just shoot me, OK?)
The face is indeed finished. I figured his eyes would barely register as more than black buttons, their being sunk into his/her/it's head and suffering from an atrophy of disuse.
Edric's eyes are described as small and "rodent-like", but why do you assume they don't use them? Got any textual support?
"David Lynch's Dune...all the characters were sexy and deformed at the same time." —John Hodgman

Not at all. I quote it because I found it funny and in a sense true.

Kevin's quote I find idiotic. Kevin is an idiot. I'm thinking of adding "Actually it's a little thing called perspective" for the same reason. Kevin can't write for shit; at least when you draw, you get a smell.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Simon wrote:Actually it's a little thing called perspective (regarding the hands).
Yeah, I had a feeling that would go well. :)

Mess with the bull, Simon ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Simon

Post by Simon »

SandChigger wrote:
Simon wrote:Actually it's a little thing called perspective (regarding the hands). The "camera"/P.O.V is located right by his left hand, which would make it appear larger than the hand further away.
Fuck you, too. I was referring to the completely different shape, and apparent lack of syndactyly. (Everyone, when I need an explanation of perspective from the likes of this one, just shoot me, OK?)
Edric's eyes are described as small and "rodent-like", but why do you assume they don't use them? Got any textual support?

Not at all. I quote it because I found it funny and in a sense true.

Kevin's quote I find idiotic. Kevin is an idiot. I'm thinking of adding "Actually it's a little thing called perspective" for the same reason. Kevin can't write for shit; at least when you draw, you get a smell.
Great. :roll:

Sandchigger is angry! Big surprise! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess I'll just have to cope. 8)

(Oh and for the record: I wasn't trying to talk down to you SandChigger. I was just stating the obvious.)

[from edit] Just an artistic heads up to whom it may concern: I grew up on Frank Miller, Kelly Jones, Todd McFarlane, and Stephen Gammell . Anatomical correctness isn't my aim (as can be easily deduced if your familiar with any of the aforementioned artisit, my heroes). I'm a practitioner of "Beautiful and Deformed".
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

As long as you avoid the Rob Liefeld school of "I Can't Really Draw At All, But Moron Fanboys Made Me Rich And Famous Anyway," you'll be just fine.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.