Dune Art

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

Re: Dune Art

Post by TheDukester »

Yeah, with his suspensors underneath the robes, I guess. Since he's never described as being 14 feet tall ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

@lawliet - I missed those when you posted in Feb - I think I very much like them all, even if some may not be
accurate - do you have a photobucket or such where you have posted the full-sized images ? or links to the
source sites, that's always good ...

one pic brought something to mind I don't guess I've ever thought of, but do the sandworms rear-up like that ?
we understand they will not dig in because of the maker hooks holding segments open and apart ...
but if the big bastards are capable of lifting their front segments like that ... for one thing, that would
require some technique and training for worm-riders to stay on, and two, if this behavior can be provoked,
that would be an excellent offensive tool ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

SandRider wrote:@lawliet - I missed those when you posted in Feb - I think I very much like them all, even if some may not be
accurate - do you have a photobucket or such where you have posted the full-sized images ? or links to the
source sites, that's always good ...

one pic brought something to mind I don't guess I've ever thought of, but do the sandworms rear-up like that ?
we understand they will not dig in because of the maker hooks holding segments open and apart ...
but if the big bastards are capable of lifting their front segments like that ... for one thing, that would
require some technique and training for worm-riders to stay on, and two, if this behavior can be provoked,
that would be an excellent offensive tool ...
Yes, as a matter of fact. You can download all the full-sized images from here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110347029822031712910/Dune#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

Apjak

Post by Apjak »

I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I like that a lot :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

Chani

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

good image, even if it is Lynchy ....

IDK, I've still got such a soft-spot for the 84Dune .... I don't know if "we", as Orthodox Herbertarians,
should accept or reject such depictions .... certainly it should always be pointed out as a caveat,
if the "art" itself is pretty good .... "nice render on the Two Moons, but physics dis-allows" &etc. ....

if that can be done without sounding like a mouth-breathing, lisping, Moral Orel-voiced shitheel ...

and while the shiny black leather stillsuits are just so wrong, they still look "cool" ...
{esp. on a woman ...}
taken out of the context of "Dune", they are great costumes, and back when I rode motorcycles,
I had a little fellow in Thailand try to make me one ... talked to him on day one, showed pics,
he worked on it the entire week and a half I was there, fit like a glove, was stupidly hot, looked
nothing like the Lynch stillsuits, cost USD$75 .... had more leather than two McClellan saddles,
weighed over 20 pounds ...
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I don't think I've seen this one before, looks really good.

http://artmight.com/Artists/Beekman-Dou ... ug+beekman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Innnnnnteresting. :think:
A Thing of Eternity

I've seen that style of mouth on a Dune worm somewhere before, but I can't put my finger on it. Personally I like the original John Schoenherr style 3-jaw mouth best, but it's all good. It's really well done though, and the composition is great.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Kinda crazy to mount a worm on rocky ground like that... nevertheless a great painting.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

SandRider wrote:
IDK, I've still got such a soft-spot for the 84Dune .... I don't know if "we", as Orthodox Herbertarians,
should accept or reject such depictions .... .
I, as an OH, have no problem with any artistic renderings or re-imaginings whatsoever. as long as they are just ART. Good, bad, ugly, ... whatever. What I do have a problem with, is coming along with fan-"art" and calling it canon.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

I love Stephen Youll's art, but this last pic makes no sense whatsoever.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I do still like the Waterworms painting as scifi art, but it's stupid and unacceptable as an example of Dune art.

The Hunters cover is obviously heavily influenced by the Lynch movie.

But then, that's probably where KJA (and maybe BoBo, too?) also got most of his knowledge of Dune. I don't mind it as a scifi image, but the same caveat applies, obviously.

The rest of them, now that I look at them more closely, are really pretty shitty, huh?

(I also actually liked Youll's cover for Jessica To The Winds of dune, with the suk and the 'thopter, but completely understand why they went with the UK image for both editions. Butt like that on a cover should have sold it like hotcakes to the tween fanboys. Guess the shit between the covers proved stronger than visions of the Fremen chic between the covers. ;) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
A Thing of Eternity

I still really don't see what's to like about Youll, there are tones of far better SF artists out there, and I find his renditions of sandworms to be pretty weak frankly (they look like paper models of sandworms, so thin around the egdes and such, don't look like powerful animals at all). His people are often in really exaggerated poses, don't look realistic at all, and his colour choices are frankly garrish. The only one of the pictures of his that I've actually thought was any good is that cover for Hunters, with the Navigator, that one actually is a decent painting.

John Schoenherr all the way.

Oh, and it's not Youll's fault that that last picture makes no sense - he just drew what KJA wrote, not his fault!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Lawliet wrote:Image
There was something I wanted to point out about this one, too, but forgot last night.

If that's the sun in the sky, there's no way those moons can appear like that: There couldn't be that much surface lit up, even with light reflected from Arrakis. ;)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

The wee golden poles sticking out of the sea in the waterworms :shudder: picture, are they meant to be water-thumpers?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

inhuien wrote:The wee golden poles sticking out of the sea in the waterworms :shudder: picture, are they meant to be water-thumpers?
YES!!! :laughing-rolling:

Do you all remember how when KJA published the waterworms painting on his blog and we all started picking it apart (pointing out details like the "water-thumpers") and Byron bent over backwards and shoved his head up his own ass trying to tell us that the covers of scifi books rarely have anything much to do with the content? How many ways can you spell loser?

It's entirely possible, of course, that the schmuck didn't know at that point that there WOULD be waterworms in the book, but still... he's a schmuck. :lol:
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

He is a schmuck. :lol:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:Butt like that on a cover should have sold it like hotcakes to the tween fanboys.
That was one fine piece of ass-painting. And if anything could ever convince me to buy a McDune book, it would be Jessica's ass.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

can I get a sticky on this one ?

or, maybe take a tip from the channers and start an "image only" thread -
no comments, just Dune Art ?
ImageImage

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Well... which do you want?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Both?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I can make this topic sticky. :wink:

I'll leave it to y'all to start/migrate an image only topic.

:text-worthless:
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Image only threads never work because people post and get sidetracked. Plus comment is good.

Maybe an archive thread where the first post is edited by a willing volunteer-archivist to organise and categorise the pictures - characters organised by book, all the thopters together, etc - new stuff posted elsewhere or in the replies below, is edited into the first post as it comes up. That way all the stuff is instantly visible/browseable at the top and we still get to talk about cumpkins and meth elsewhere in the thread.

:)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -