JoD cover

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Yep.

IIRC, when Earth's moon appeared as large as that big one in the pic, the ocean tides were something like a mile high.

(I exaggerate for effect , but two overlarge moons too close to a planet would have significant surface effects.)

I think maybe you're too conservative. Supposedly the moon was much closer in Earth's early years and is constantly moving away and will one day break away.

(That was the back-story of Space: 1999, right?)

Tidal forces are allegedly key to the formation of the life process here, too.

[edit]

What i find more fascinating is how the same side of the moon always faces Earth, but it hasn't always been that way, just coincides with human civilization.

Two moons do that in the Arrakis system.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Actually, in Space 1999 I think it was the accidental detonation of massive amounts of nuclear plant waste that pushed the moon out of orbit. ;) )

The Moon gets a little tug from the attraction of the tidal bulges it creates on the Earth and that increases its speed; since it's orbiting faster, it moves further from the Earth. About 4 cm per year, or nearly 1 km per 25,000 years. The Earth-Moon system will be long gone (probably vaporized by the Sun) long before the Moon even gets twice as far away as it is now.

The energy that accelerates the Moon comes from the Earth's rotation, so the Earth spins slower and the day grows longer. If there were enough time, the Earth's rotation would slow to the point of tidal lock with respect to the Moon. When that happened, the Moon would appear to stop moving in the sky. Anyway, I think the theory is that the Moon has been tidally locked since early in its history, long before humans existed, let alone had any civilization.

Yeah, about that Arrakis system... Unfortunately, FH's planetary physics seems to have been about as bad as the rest of his math.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I suppose if the Arrakeen satelites were small they wouldn't have much effect on anything, but how many moons do we know of that are locked into facing the same way in orbit? I was under the impression that most large moons rotate randomly in relation to the planet, maybe not.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Pluto and its moon Charon are tidally locked that way, always facing eachothers same side. Pluto's two other (tiny) moons Nix and Hydra are not tidally locked.

Hubble Space Telescope info on Pluto

Last edited by dunaddict on 31 Jan 2009 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Freakzilla wrote:Yep.
What i find more fascinating is how the same side of the moon always faces Earth, but it hasn't always been that way, just coincides with human civilization.

Two moons do that in the Arrakis system.
Actually, to my knowledge the moon has faced the Earth with the same side for billions of years. And most moons in the solar system always face the same side to their parent-planet. The only exceptions I know of is Saturn's moons Hyperion and Phoebe.

What IS a fascinating coincidence; ONLY during our civilization, are we able to witness solar eclipses. At this time the moon exactly covers the moon during a solar eclipse. The moon is receding from Earth, so a few million years ago, the moon was too close and soon it will be too far away to cover the sun completely.

Sole Man

On Picutre art

Post by Sole Man »

I like Youll's worms. They reflect the awesomeness of Lynch's.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

dunaddict wrote:What IS a fascinating coincidence; ONLY during our civilization, are we able to witness solar eclipses. At this time the moon exactly covers the moon during a solar eclipse. The moon is receding from Earth, so a few million years ago, the moon was too close and soon it will be too far away to cover the sun completely.
Sorry, but that reads a little odd in spots. When the Moon was closer, it appeared larger and would more easily have covered the Sun completely, no?
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

We're able to witness total eclipses, it should be moving away and appearing smaller to us, thus in the future there will be no total eclipses.
~Pink Snowman
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

What I mean is,

At the moment, the size of the moon's disk is exactly the same size as the sun's disk, which allows you to see the sun's corona (atmosphere) and solar flares. This creates the beautiful "ring" of light around the Moon.
When the moon was much closer to the Earth, the Moon's disk also covered the corona; Total darkness; No spectacular ring around the Moon.
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Freakzilla wrote:We're able to witness total eclipses, it should be moving away and appearing smaller to us, thus in the future there will be no total eclipses.
Correct. Only partial eclipses in the distant future. And a partial eclipse is nowhere near as spectacular as a total eclipse, because it just doesn't get real dark. Trust me. I've seen a total eclipse and right at the moment of TOTAL eclipse...WHAM!...It's dark as night.

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A total eclipse was used to confirm that light is affected by gravity as predicted be Einstient, I believe.
~Pink Snowman
Schu

Post by Schu »

I thought that was the observed orbit of Mercury.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I thought is was Kandi Hart's perfect little titties.

gravity, light, somthing .... they were amzing and in my face
for about an hour ......

makes me wich I could still get it up ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
dunepunk

Post by dunepunk »

Schu wrote:I thought that was the observed orbit of Mercury.
Both were. Before Einstein's theories on gravity, Newtonian gravity was unable to describe the observed orbit of Mercury. When Einstein first developed his theory, that was one of the first things he checked to see if it worked-- lo and behold it did. Yeah, I think a solar eclipse was used to show that gravity would affect light, which was another of Einstein's predictions. This has also been verified through studying solar lensing effects. These occur when a star or other light source lies behind another one from our point of view. Because of the effect of gravity on light, we can see two images of the exact same body, one on either side of the closer object.

I watched a series of lectures on Dark Matter and Dark Energy with my roommate... so now I can talk (limited) nerdy astrophysics!
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that the thoughts acquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
dunaddict

Post by dunaddict »

Desert Planet:

The Second Moon....:

Image Image

Home of the Spice:

Sole Man

On Duneaddict's picture

Post by Sole Man »

I lve that Sunset eclipse picutre.

It makes me happy...
chanilover

Re: JoD cover

Post by chanilover »

DuneFishUK wrote:From Keith's myspace. I do like Youll's work.

That's a nice picture. Shame it will be wrapped around yet another turd. What's up with that guy's face in the bottom left?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Okay guys, got an update from Pinky and The Brain. It turns out there was a misprint... this is the real photo:

"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Drunken Idaho wrote:Okay guys, got an update from Pinky and The Brain. It turns out there was a misprint... this is the real photo:

LOL! Classic :lol:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Nice work.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

:lol: Brilliant
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: JoD cover

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

(The update was direct from them, not the design guy at the publisher? :P )
chanilover wrote:That's a nice picture. Shame it will be wrapped around yet another turd.
Stephen ("Steve") Youll: Creator of Fine Turd Wrappers for the Discerning Connoisewer.
^^^ From his website. (Which is managed by Webdrud.)
What's up with that guy's face in the bottom left?
Had some bad mélange baklava from the stall across the way. He's building up to a small but very personal spice blow of his very own....

But check out the guy playing "pocket kismet" behind Jessica. ;)