GEoD Audio Book Review at Scifidimensions

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

GEoD Audio Book Review at Scifidimensions

Post by Freakzilla »

http://www.scifidimensions.com/main/200 ... r-of-dune/

The fourth installment in Frank Herbert’s monumental Dune saga is a complex rumination on the nature of violence, politics, religion, and the human condition.

Review by John C. Snider © 2009

Readers who have not read the late Frank Herbert’s first three Dune novels (Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune) approach the 1981 novel God Emperor of Dune at their own peril. A sufficient summary of What Has Gone Before is nearly impossible; nonetheless: the original trilogy told the tale of Paul Atreides, a superman who is the end product of the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood’s secretive breeding program. Paul leads a rebellion that overthrows the Emperor of the known universe, and establishes his headquarters on the planet Arrakis, a desert planet that is the only source of the miraculous, life-extending, mind-expanding drug called Spice, or melange. After Paul’s death, his son Leto II, ”pre-born” with the memories of all his ancestors and possessed of near-omnipotent prescient abilities, attains virtual immortality by entering into symbiosis with a school of ”sandtrout,” which are the adolescent form of the Sandworms (kilometer-long monsters that dominate Arrakis and secrete the raw form of Spice). As is oft-repeated in the Dune-iverse, “He who controls the Spice controls the universe.”

As God Emperor opens, more than 3,000 years have passed since the events of the previous novels (which are themselves set roughly 8,000 years in our future). Arrakis has been transformed into a green world with limited deserts; the great Sandworms - save for the sandtrout embedded in Leto’s body - are extinct, and Spice is a carefully guarded, ever-dwindling commodity. Leto II is now Lord Leto, morphed into the inhuman God Emperor. Half-man, half-Sandworm, Leto is a ruthless dictator who guides society along the “Golden Path,” the one possible future, according to his prescient vision, in which humanity can avoid extinction. Exactly what the Golden Path is, and how it can be achieved, is a mystery even to Leto’s closest confidantes, which can make many of his thoughts and actions seem petty or capricious. Why, for example, would the God Emperor tolerate rebellion, especially when that rebellion has discovered his Achilles heel?

Leto II is a character nearly unique in the annals of science fiction, with a cast of supporting characters that are both peculiar and realistic. There’s Leto’s longsuffering major domo Moneo, part of an Atreides breeding program that has supplanted the now-forbidden Bene Gesserit schemes; Hwi Noree, a young woman genetically engineered to be irresistible to the God Emperor; and finally, Duncan Idaho, the latest ”ghola” reincarnation - more than just a clone - of Paul’s original swordmaster who died during the events of Dune. Despite the rebellious streak inherent in Duncan’s personality, the God Emperor has ordered one ghola after another to lead his vast army of female “Fish Speakers.”

God Emperor of Dune is, among the six Dune novels that Frank Herbert wrote, second in quality only to the original Dune. It achieves a complexity and literary richness far in excess of nearly any science fiction novel you care to name. Like its predecessor volumes, God Emperor is deeply philosophical, ruminating on the nature of violence, political power, and religion. While there’s court intrigue aplenty, God Emperor is not without its hair-raising action: the novel opens as a pack of specially trained wolves pick off a fleeing band of rebels one-by-one; the God Emperor himself cruises into a terrorist streetfight, plowing his high-tech Royal Cart hovercraft into the jumble of combatants; and the climax is a literal cliffhanger that is also the stuff of Greek tragedy.

This book is also part of Macmillan Audio’s ongoing project to publish new, unabridged audiobook productions of the entire Dune series. God Emperor of Dune (Jun 2008, 13 CDs, $49.95) features the excellent reader Simon Vance, with support from Scott Brick and Katherine Kellgren. Vance imbues each character with a distinctive voice: his Duncan is a truculent Clive Owen sound-alike, while his Leto (suitably) has the stentorian tones of a self-absorbed Shakespearean actor.

I highly recommend God Emperor of Dune for any audiobook library; or, if dead trees are more your style, it’s available in a brand new Ace hardcover edition from Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

...symbiosis with a school of ”sandtrout,” which are the adolescent form of the Sandworms (kilometer-long monsters that dominate Arrakis and secrete the raw form of Spice). As is oft-repeated in the Dune-iverse, “He who controls the Spice controls the universe.
As God Emperor opens, more than 3,000 years have passed since the events of the previous novels (which are themselves set roughly 8,000 years in our future).
:roll:

Is it so hard to get the little details right?

[Edit: Put that annoying period inside the quote tags :P ]
Last edited by SandChigger on 28 Jan 2009 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:
...symbiosis with a school of ”sandtrout,” which are the adolescent form of the Sandworms (kilometer-long monsters that dominate Arrakis and secrete the raw form of Spice). As is oft-repeated in the Dune-iverse, “He who controls the Spice controls the universe.
As God Emperor opens, more than 3,000 years have passed since the events of the previous novels (which are themselves set roughly 8,000 years in our future)
:roll:

Is it so hard to get the little details right?
I commented on the 8,000 year bit, I figured the rest was a lost cause. He did say it was almost impossible to sum up though.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

I just finished commenting, too. Basically recapping what I posted above. (But without the bitchiness.)

I didn't see your comment. I guess we're both in "moderation" purgatory. ;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I hope it's as good as the portions of the Dune audiobook I have heard. I'd like to get them all eventually.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I may look into used copies. ;)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:I may look into used copies. ;)
That reminds me, I need to make a "Back-up Copy" of my Dune audiobook.

:wink:
~Pink Snowman
Sole Man

on Human minds

Post by Sole Man »

the human condition
I hate that fucking thing.
Freakzilla

Re: on Human minds

Post by Freakzilla »

Sole Man wrote:
the human condition
It's a teenage thing, you'll get over it, I promise.
~Pink Snowman
halcyo

Re: on Human minds

Post by halcyo »

Freakzilla wrote:
Sole Man wrote:
the human condition
It's a teenage thing, you'll get over it, I promise.
I'm 25 and I'm still not over it yet..... :shock:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And I'm nearly twice that and... ;)

Hey, Freak! Did you notice he put through our comments? :)

With this note:
On January 22nd, 2009 at 5:21 pm, admin wrote:Gents,

Thanks for your clarifications - I will take your word for it on these details. If I flubbed it was in a) trying to conjure the specifics of the earlier books from memory and b) giving my best shot at summarizing the story without going into insufferable detail. But really, what’s 10,000 years among friends? And why can’t sandtrout “school”? Pod of dolphins; flock of seagulls; school of fish; whatever! In the end, none of these “off” details changes anything about the main thrust of the series. Nonetheless, you are probably correct, and as Richard Dawkins would say, “I humbly accept the rebuke.”
(Hey, Eternal Thang, think I should go back and tell him "'Cose a sandtroot's nate noo feesh!"? :P )
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I think you should go back and thank him for accepting correction
and not being an asshole. Rare fucking commodity these days...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm comin' to join ya Elizabeth! It's the big one!
~Pink Snowman
halcyo

Post by halcyo »

SandRider wrote:I think you should go back and thank him for accepting correction
and not being an asshole. Rare fucking commodity these days...
TOO true!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I have thanked him for taking our criticism kindly.
~Pink Snowman
halcyo

Post by halcyo »

Good. I suppose we are rough fuckin' crowd around here. We're known to wanna choke a muthafucka for getting his facts twisted...

:wink: :D
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:And I'm nearly twice that and... ;)

Hey, Freak! Did you notice he put through our comments? :)

With this note:
On January 22nd, 2009 at 5:21 pm, admin wrote:Gents,

Thanks for your clarifications - I will take your word for it on these details. If I flubbed it was in a) trying to conjure the specifics of the earlier books from memory and b) giving my best shot at summarizing the story without going into insufferable detail. But really, what’s 10,000 years among friends? And why can’t sandtrout “school”? Pod of dolphins; flock of seagulls; school of fish; whatever! In the end, none of these “off” details changes anything about the main thrust of the series. Nonetheless, you are probably correct, and as Richard Dawkins would say, “I humbly accept the rebuke.”
(Hey, Eternal Thang, think I should go back and tell him "'Cose a sandtroot's nate noo feesh!"? :P )
Yarr, I'll get my Black Panther buddies to tell him. :P
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

halcyo wrote:Good. I suppose we are rough fuckin' crowd around here. We're known to wanna choke a muthafucka for getting his facts twisted...

:wink: :D
I told him why too:
Freakzilla Says:

January 28th, 2009 at 8:40 am
Thank you for kindly taking our criticism! We’re used to being banned from the official Dune forum and being called “talifans” by Kevin J. Anderson for wanting consistancy and offering criticism.

I’d like to add that I have the Dune audiobook and it’s wonderfull. I plan to buy the rest of the series (FH’s books only).
~Pink Snowman