Chat a la Worms?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandRider wrote:I used the Facebook a little recently, in regards to an upcoming reunion, and I'd say your friend has a good point, GP. It is a one-stop, quick interaction site. Makes sense to me.
That's pretty much the attraction. FB is one-stop shopping for my college buddies, some high school buddies, former co-workers, a few exes ("all my exes are in Texas," right, SR? :wink:), and some online pals. It's just a convenient package that can be used or ignored, as needed.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:
SandRider wrote:I used the Facebook a little recently, in regards to an upcoming reunion, and I'd say your friend has a good point, GP. It is a one-stop, quick interaction site. Makes sense to me.
That's pretty much the attraction. FB is one-stop shopping for my college buddies, some high school buddies, former co-workers, a few exes ("all my exes are in Texas," right, SR? :wink:), and some online pals. It's just a convenient package that can be used or ignored, as needed.
Family too.

(Yeah, it's nice to see how fat and grey your old girlfriends have gotten :twisted: )
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Re: Chat a la Worms?

Post by TheDukester »

Thought I'd bump this, given the way six or eight of us are cross-posting right now in real time. Any further thoughts on a chat function?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'm kind of on the fence about it. Will it detract from the number of on-topic post? Will it reduce spam? :think:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

It's okay, but even though I "feel" online constantly, I'm often only at the computer for brief periods. So a chat wouldn't do me much good. I'm not opposed to the idea, I'm just not sure I'll use it all that much. Maybe today might be an exception, since it's so damn dead at work :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I'm not heavily pro- or anti-chat, just for the record. But I did think that a lot of today's goofiness could just have easily been covered in a chat area, which is what made me remember this thread.

Then again, today is a perfect storm: KJA apologist toady here at the same time as some of the heavy hitters.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Yeah, enjoy it, while it lasts. Cause it never does :)

If we can have the option of a chat, I don't see how that can be anything but a good thing. Might not use it that much, but the option is nice.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Well y'all know I'm all for a chat room. I don't think it would distract from the on-topic posts, it might take away some of the 0ff-topic posts, but I know I use the chat-room over at Worm's to talk to a friend mainly about silly stuff or sometimes to ask a quick question about a post that we are working on together for the story thread.

I don't think a chat room would hurt this board any.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

If Omph can/wants to do It, I say we give it a try.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

If records can be preserved then I'm OK with chat, but I prefer the pace of the boards more than any chat room.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:If records can be preserved then I'm OK with chat, but I prefer the pace of the boards more than any chat room.
:text-yeahthat:
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I doubt the chat would be used for serious Dune discussion. If you go with an irc chat, like the one you can get for free from Mibbit.com, then someone can create a chatbot to record everything.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.