Omph, dude, you really need to rehost this on T(A)U or here on Jacurutu:

It takes fucking forever to load any thread you've posted in now. :(
SandRider
Watermaster

Re: Hearty greetings to the Cast Out!

Post by SandRider »

Welcome. Your Water is Ours.

>> Freak -

time to get around to changing the tag line that shows up in Google searches ...

the fucking SyFy board with TEN FUCKING POSTS is still number two behind Merritt,
and the dune buggy forum is apparently huge and probably, in a fair contest, would
be number one ...

anyway, need to get OH, or "most active Dune board" or something in the
search results instead of "General Dune Discussion Can't find the appropriate forum for your topic? Post it here! "

FED2K is ahead of us ... this is BULLSHIT and cannot stand ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: The Board

Post by Omphalos »

:oops:

Sorry. Will do this weekend.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sorry, normally it wouldn't be a problem after the first load or so, but for some reason his banners don't want to cache or something.

(I can generally tell when he's posted in a thread on T(A)U from whether the page loads or not. ;) )
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote: >> Freak -

time to get around to changing the tag line that shows up in Google searches ...

the fucking SyFy board with TEN FUCKING POSTS is still number two behind Merritt,
and the dune buggy forum is apparently huge and probably, in a fair contest, would
be number one ...

anyway, need to get OH, or "most active Dune board" or something in the
search results instead of "General Dune Discussion Can't find the appropriate forum for your topic? Post it here! "

FED2K is ahead of us ... this is BULLSHIT and cannot stand ...
OK, how?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

what, change the text that shows up in the search results or bump up the ranking ?

the first, I'd suppose you'd search for the text that shows up, figger out where it is, change it ...

the second, the only way I've read about that bumps up Google rankings is to have a site
linked to from other sites - and in the site itself, too; posting links in comments doesn't do it ...

I guess the googlebot trawls and scoops up links and tallies it - so like, there's a link to here
on the ChiggerBlahg and where else ? you need a link on big-ass sites, SyFy or even IO9 ...
major corporate sites - a link from Merrit's board to here would boost the ranking, if you can
believe that ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I've mentioned this before, but I could talk with the guy who runs the website/webstore for the company I work for and get some tips for ranking higher in search engines. He knows what he's doing, we rank higher on google than some of the brands own websites when you type in that brand, and even if not, we're always the first retailer that comes up in the list.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Another thing is to get Ragaboo to edit the board templates and fill in these:

Code: Select all

<meta name="keywords" content="" />
<meta name="description" content="" />
Keywords: Dune, Dune novels, Frank Herbert, (what else?)

Description: The only truly active and uncensored forum for Dune discussion currently online!

:)
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandChigger wrote:Another thing is to get Ragaboo to edit the board templates and fill in these:

Description: The only truly active and uncensored forum for Dune discussion currently online!

Forum should be a key word also?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Jacurutu - The Cast Out • Index page
General Dune Discussion Can't find the appropriate forum for your topic? Post it here!
Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla: 259 Topics: 11648 Posts: Last post ...
It's the name and description of the "General Dune Discussion Forum". It's half way down the page but I guess the words "Dune" and "Discussion" set it off?

Maybe I should try changing the forum description at the top of the page to "Dune Discussion Forum for Orthodox Herbertarians"?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
SandChigger wrote:Another thing is to get Ragaboo to edit the board templates and fill in these:

Forum should be a key word also?
I'll email him and ask him to do it.

I added "Dune Discussion Forum, Dune Message Board" to the keywords.

I don't like that description though, it's kind of negative or something. How about...

"The most active and open forum for discussion of Frank Herbert's Dune novels online!"?
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I'll wait until morning (EST) to send it in case anyone has any other good suggestions for keywords or the description.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:I'll wait until morning (EST) to send it in case anyone has any other good suggestions for keywords or the description.
I'd suggest using a number of FH terms like: Bene Gesserit, Fremen, Melange, Dune, Arrakis, etc. Maybe we could include the link in @thekja and @dunenovels posts on Twitter and see if his followers can find their way over :D
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't know nothin' 'bout no Twitter links. :(

But this is what I've got so far:

Keywords: Dune, Dune Novels, Frank Herbert, Dune Discussion Forum, Dune Message Board, Arrakis, Desert, Spice, Melange, Fremen, Sandworm, Crysknife, Sietch, Atreides, Harkonnen, Emperor, Guild, Landsraad, Bene Gesserit,

Description: The most active and open forum for discussion of Frank Herbert's Dune novels online!
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It looks like there are two files to edit:

simple_header.html and
overall_header.html

In the prosilver theme/style these are located inside the template directory, so I assume that's the same for all of them. :)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:It looks like there are two files to edit:

simple_header.html and
overall_header.html

In the prosilver theme/style these are located inside the template directory, so I assume that's the same for all of them. :)
Thanks, I'll include those filenames.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Anyone notice the description for Dunenovels?

Forum - dunenovels.com :: Index
This forum is for those message board users who prefer to speak of Frank Herbert's classic
Dune series only and wish not to discuss the prequels. ...
forum.dunenovels.com/phpBB2/ - 22 hours ago - Cached - Similar

:lol:
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I just read that Google ignores the Meta Keyword tag. :(
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Freakzilla wrote:I just read that Google ignores the Meta Keyword tag. :(
That is true. Description tags still work though, and would neaten up the result, plus a few meta keywords can't hurt if you have the file open anyway :P

(Google mainly focusses on actual content, and we have plenty of that :) )
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Cockblocked by the Fish! :twisted:

Yeah, well fuck Google all the way to hell and back anyway. :roll:

But the description meta tag is still worth filling in, it seems.

Which explains this:
HAIRY TICKS OF DUNE
The new Dune books are crap and Kevin J. Anderson is a hack.
http://www.hairyticksofdune.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Cached - Similar
:laughing:

That's funny, though, because it means all that time that they had KJA's name twice in the DN keywords (before Frank or Brian Herbert's names) and even Wordfire listed, it really didn't mean shit! :lol:

I just checked over there, and they don't have any meta tags except the bare minimum (charset). But they do have all this shit:

<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/themes/dune/styles/framework/reset.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/themes/dune/styles/framework/text.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/themes/dune/styles/framework/960.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/themes/dune/styles/framework/debug.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/acquia/cck/theme/content-module.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/acquia/date/date.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/acquia/filefield/filefield.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/acquia/lightbox2/css/lightbox.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/aggregator/aggregator.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/node/node.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/system/defaults.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/system/system.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/system/system-menus.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/user/user.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/modules/ctools/css/ctools.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/modules/nice_menus/nice_menus.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/modules/nice_menus/nice_menus_default.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/modules/panels/css/panels.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/modules/tagadelic/tagadelic.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/modules/acquia/cck/modules/fieldgroup/fieldgroup.css?U" />
<link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" media="all" href="/sites/all/themes/dune/styles/styles.css?U" />
All that shit has to load before the page displays. NO WONDER the fucking site takes goddamned FOREVER to load! FUCKING IDIOTS, APPEARANCE OVER REALITY was it, Ralph Corrino?! :laughing-rolling:
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

"Nice menus" eh? WTF is all of that?
SandChigger wrote:
HAIRY TICKS OF DUNE
The new Dune books are crap and Kevin J. Anderson is a hack.
http://www.hairyticksofdune.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Cached - Similar
That makes me laugh every time I see it. :lol:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:dance:

What CMS is it they're using? Drupal?

Yeah, "Drupal" appears in the source code of the front page. Never bothered looking into it. Nekhrun, you're more into this stuff. Whatcha know about Drupal? :)
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandChigger wrote::dance:

What CMS is it they're using? Drupal?

Yeah, "Drupal" appears in the source code of the front page. Never bothered looking into it. Nekhrun, you're more into this stuff. Whatcha know about Drupal? :)
It's Drupal. I know enough about it to say that they've fucked it up and that there would be better ways to set up that site. It's awful. Other Drupal sites I visit load at least 3 times faster for me on a broadband connection. Even Chrome takes awhile to load DN.

You know me though Chig, I'm more of a Moodle guy :wink:
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:Omph, dude, you really need to rehost this on T(A)U or here on Jacurutu:

It takes fucking forever to load any thread you've posted in now. :(
How's that, my bug?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Have to tell you later. :shhh:

(On a fast connection now. ;) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"