• Register
  • Login
  •          

    The Board

    Image
      Bitches, gripes, complaints... post them here

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    The Board

    Postby Omphalos » 08 Feb 2008 23:21

    I think that the topic list looks great so far. Maybe you should wait to see what other users want to talk about after they have had a chance to post where you have set up threads.

    Anyone disagree or have a suggestion?
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6531
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Postby Simon » 09 Feb 2008 17:52

    Sounds good to me.

    I've noticed I'm not getting topic reply notifications in my e-mail.
    Since the board is new that's not such a big deal but once it really fills up I might have problems finding certain topics with out the e-mail heads up (thats what really brought me down on Arrakeen, I couldn't find previous post sometimes and grew frustrated with it)
    User avatar
    Simon
     
    Posts: 566
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
    Location: Cincinnati, OH

    Postby Omphalos » 09 Feb 2008 18:01

    Simon wrote:Sounds good to me.

    I've noticed I'm not getting topic reply notifications in my e-mail.
    Since the board is new that's not such a big deal but once it really fills up I might have problems finding certain topics with out the e-mail heads up (thats what really brought me down on Arrakeen, I couldn't find previous post sometimes and grew frustrated with it)


    You turn that off in your own individual profile. Just look there under the topic "Always Notify Me Of Replies," and click the bubble to "no" and they should stop. Also, make sure that you are not for some stupid reason subscribed to any particular topics. My board doesnt seem to do that, but DN is always randomly subscribing me to topics I never posted in and sending me notes.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6531
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Postby Phaedrus » 09 Feb 2008 18:18

    The topics look good so far, but I think some things are missing.

    Where would I go if I wanted to start a topic about mentats? Or Zensunni philosophy? Or Fremen? Or Truthsaying?

    I guess Zensunni could go under the Bene Tleilax section, but would anyone else think to look there? And while Truthsaying could fit into the Bene Gesserit forum, we know that anyone in the Duniverse can become a Truthsayer. Maybe it would be best to add two new forums, one for the Fremen(I think there's enough discussion there for an entire forum, personally), and a general Dune forum where all those things that didn't quite make it into specialized forums go.
    User avatar
    Phaedrus
     
    Posts: 551
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 04:35

    Postby Simon » 09 Feb 2008 18:24

    Omphalos wrote:
    Simon wrote:Sounds good to me.

    I've noticed I'm not getting topic reply notifications in my e-mail.
    Since the board is new that's not such a big deal but once it really fills up I might have problems finding certain topics with out the e-mail heads up (thats what really brought me down on Arrakeen, I couldn't find previous post sometimes and grew frustrated with it)


    You turn that off in your own individual profile. Just look there under the topic "Always Notify Me Of Replies," and click the bubble to "no" and they should stop. Also, make sure that you are not for some stupid reason subscribed to any particular topics. My board doesnt seem to do that, but DN is always randomly subscribing me to topics I never posted in and sending me notes.


    nope, all turned on,still no notifications...
    User avatar
    Simon
     
    Posts: 566
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
    Location: Cincinnati, OH

    Postby Freakzilla » 09 Feb 2008 18:32

    Phaedrus wrote:The topics look good so far, but I think some things are missing.

    Where would I go if I wanted to start a topic about mentats? Or Zensunni philosophy? Or Fremen? Or Truthsaying?

    I guess Zensunni could go under the Bene Tleilax section, but would anyone else think to look there? And while Truthsaying could fit into the Bene Gesserit forum, we know that anyone in the Duniverse can become a Truthsayer. Maybe it would be best to add two new forums, one for the Fremen(I think there's enough discussion there for an entire forum, personally), and a general Dune forum where all those things that didn't quite make it into specialized forums go.


    I meant to make a forum for the Fremen, good call.

    Zensunni is not just a Tleilaxu religion so how about a "Religions of Dune" forum?

    Mentats I think could go under Bene Tleilax since they created them, even though the schools scattered. But I don't think they deserve their own forum.

    I was hoping to be able to set up enough forums so a general discussion forum wouldn't be necessary. Let me think about that one a little.
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 17975
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Postby Freakzilla » 09 Feb 2008 18:33

    Simon wrote:
    Omphalos wrote:
    Simon wrote:Sounds good to me.

    I've noticed I'm not getting topic reply notifications in my e-mail.
    Since the board is new that's not such a big deal but once it really fills up I might have problems finding certain topics with out the e-mail heads up (thats what really brought me down on Arrakeen, I couldn't find previous post sometimes and grew frustrated with it)


    You turn that off in your own individual profile. Just look there under the topic "Always Notify Me Of Replies," and click the bubble to "no" and they should stop. Also, make sure that you are not for some stupid reason subscribed to any particular topics. My board doesnt seem to do that, but DN is always randomly subscribing me to topics I never posted in and sending me notes.


    nope, all turned on,still no notifications...


    I'm not getting any email notifications either, I'll check on it.
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 17975
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Postby Phaedrus » 09 Feb 2008 18:37

    Freakzilla wrote:
    Phaedrus wrote:The topics look good so far, but I think some things are missing.

    Where would I go if I wanted to start a topic about mentats? Or Zensunni philosophy? Or Fremen? Or Truthsaying?

    I guess Zensunni could go under the Bene Tleilax section, but would anyone else think to look there? And while Truthsaying could fit into the Bene Gesserit forum, we know that anyone in the Duniverse can become a Truthsayer. Maybe it would be best to add two new forums, one for the Fremen(I think there's enough discussion there for an entire forum, personally), and a general Dune forum where all those things that didn't quite make it into specialized forums go.


    I meant to make a forum for the Fremen, good call.

    Zensunni is not just a Tleilaxu religion so how about a "Religions of Dune" forum?

    Mentats I think could go under Bene Tleilax since they created them, even though the schools scattered. But I don't think they deserve their own forum.

    I was hoping to be able to set up enough forums so a general discussion forum wouldn't be necessary. Let me think about that one a little.


    Religions of Dune would be great. And I don't think Mentats deserve their own forum, either, I'm just saying, where would they go? Maybe instead of Religions, you could broaden it to something like, Religions, Philosophies, and Skills? Or something like that? Because I don't think that's too much in one section, really, and it covers a lot of loose material.
    User avatar
    Phaedrus
     
    Posts: 551
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 04:35

    Postby Freakzilla » 09 Feb 2008 18:46

    Added:

    Religions of Dune. I'm not sure there will be enough conversation for this, it may get merged with...

    General Dune Discussion

    The Fremen
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 17975
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Postby Mandy » 09 Feb 2008 21:31

    Wow.. that's a lot of forums for such a small group.
    User avatar
    Mandy
    Cat Herder
     
    Posts: 1700
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18

    Postby Freakzilla » 09 Feb 2008 21:34

    Mandy wrote:Wow.. that's a lot of forums for such a small group.


    Depending on use, I may merge some with others.
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 17975
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Postby Mandy » 09 Feb 2008 21:37

    Yeah.. once things get going you may need them all, you never know.
    User avatar
    Mandy
    Cat Herder
     
    Posts: 1700
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18

    Postby GamePlayer » 09 Feb 2008 21:38

    I agree. Trim the forums some.
    User avatar
    GamePlayer
    70mm God
     
    Posts: 2993
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 11:26
    Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

    Postby Simon » 09 Feb 2008 21:43

    I thought they were fine, I like well articulated and identifiable threads. There's a spot for each classic book (cough,cough could use some "new" book listings, for you OH guys to rag on if nothing else :lol: ) Though knowing our glorious founder an ice cube in hell has a better chance.
    User avatar
    Simon
     
    Posts: 566
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
    Location: Cincinnati, OH

    Postby Freakzilla » 09 Feb 2008 21:44

    I think this is the max, I can't see adding any more.

    Simon, you're lucky you got the one Prequel/Sequel forum at all!

    :wink:
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 17975
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Postby Simon » 09 Feb 2008 21:45

    I was thinking of posting the DUNE fan comic here, is that kosher Freak?
    User avatar
    Simon
     
    Posts: 566
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
    Location: Cincinnati, OH

    Postby GamePlayer » 09 Feb 2008 21:48

    I don't. There's too much ridiculous forum skipping required. The fewer the number of mouse actions it takes to get to what you want in a message board the better. A few forums filled with multiple topics to read is both easier and more interesting that dozen of forums with very few new threads. There's no point filling a message board with dozens of rarely used sub-forums except to satisfy some anal urge to organize shit.

    Build threads, not sub-forums. You'll know when the community needs more forums.
    User avatar
    GamePlayer
    70mm God
     
    Posts: 2993
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 11:26
    Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

    Postby Omphalos » 09 Feb 2008 21:51

    I dont even think that sub-forums are possible with this version of the software, but I agree, sub-forums suck.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6531
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Postby Mandy » 09 Feb 2008 21:52

    There's a mod for subforums, but I don't like subforums either.. I think GamePlayer is referring to all the forums as subforums.
    User avatar
    Mandy
    Cat Herder
     
    Posts: 1700
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18

    Postby Simon » 09 Feb 2008 21:53

    Freakzilla wrote:I think this is the max, I can't see adding any more.

    Simon, you're lucky you got the one Prequel/Sequel forum at all!

    :wink:


    :lol:
    User avatar
    Simon
     
    Posts: 566
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
    Location: Cincinnati, OH

    Postby Freakzilla » 09 Feb 2008 21:55

    Simon wrote:I was thinking of posting the DUNE fan comic here, is that kosher Freak?


    Sure, Dune Media would be a good place.
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 17975
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Postby Omphalos » 09 Feb 2008 21:56

    Mandy wrote:There's a mod for subforums, but I don't like subforums either.. I think GamePlayer is referring to all the forums as subforums.


    Ah. We need to invent GamePlayer a mouse he can click with a thought, instead of a finger movement.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6531
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Postby Simon » 09 Feb 2008 21:56

    kool beans
    User avatar
    Simon
     
    Posts: 566
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
    Location: Cincinnati, OH

    Postby Freakzilla » 09 Feb 2008 21:59

    GamePlayer wrote:I don't. There's too much ridiculous forum skipping required. The fewer the number of mouse actions it takes to get to what you want in a message board the better. A few forums filled with multiple topics to read is both easier and more interesting that dozen of forums with very few new threads. There's no point filling a message board with dozens of rarely used sub-forums except to satisfy some anal urge to organize shit.

    Build threads, not sub-forums. You'll know when the community needs more forums.


    I was trying to anticipate the max we will need. If they don't get used I'll merge some. For now I'd like to see how this works out.
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 17975
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Postby GamePlayer » 09 Feb 2008 22:01

    Omphalos wrote:I dont even think that sub-forums are possible with this version of the software, but I agree, sub-forums suck.


    I actually mean forums, not "sub-forums" per se. The term forum can actually refer to an entire message board itself, so sub-forum is kinda the way to distinguish between the two.

    Regardless, I think we're already going over board with the number of forums/sub-forums here.
    User avatar
    GamePlayer
    70mm God
     
    Posts: 2993
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 11:26
    Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

    Next

    Return to ˱

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest