Technical problems.

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Eyes High
Patience Personified

Re: Technical problems.

Post by Eyes High »

I had trouble with search as well. But was going to give it another day to see if it got fixed.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

OK. We have done a bunch of stuff tonight. One thing we did was to finish upgrading T(A)U. Jacurutu will wait until we are sure the upgrade causes no new problems. I don't anticipate any, but Jacurutu is the bigger site, and the more active one, so T(A)U kind of by default is our usual guinea-pig.

I think that the Jacurutu search issue is repaired, so let me know if it isnt. SC, I get two results for your search string, and have not seen any MySQL errors all night at Jacurutu.

As to the T(A)U search issue, we're a bit confused. The T(A)U and Jacurutu search settings are identical. This means that the system marks the 5% of the most common words as unserchable, and searches the rest for strings users input. T(A)U is telling us that "Jessica" is one of these 5% of most common words. I personally cannot believe that. To prove my point we searched the post files. Jacurutu, which returns search hits on "Jessica" has 665 iterations of that word. T(A)U has only 159, which means that the search program is screwed up, or someone has the word "Jessica" is a sig or something else that gets searched (something other than ordinary posts). We are going to have to look into this before we can try a fix. We rebuilt the search tables several times tonight and gave it different rule sets, but could not make it work. When we told it to search 100% of the posts the search ate up 83% of system reserves. So, the fix is not going to be easy like that. We are looking into the cause, and will announce when we have fixed the problem. If anyone has any ideas, please post here. Our next step is to consult with some big-brain type PHP guys we know, and go to the PHPbb site and look for documentation.

If anyone at T(A)U has the word "Jessica" in sig, would you let me know? I could not find when I searched the .sig folder, so I doubt that is the problem, but thought I'd ask....

As to MySQL errors, if you all get any others, would you take a screen capture and mail it to me please?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Weird. :?

So a search on "FishSpeakerLover" works now, but "Jessica" and "Paul" crap out with the "too common" message. But "Tom" and "Susan" go through.

It's a DUNE conspiracy! :D

Thanks!
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

The problems seem to be with Dune specific words, which suggests that its not a problem with the software. Some file (other than a post file, I think) somewhere has too many instances of those strings, and its throwing the search program. We just have to root out what it is and nuke it.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hmmmm. You know, one thing we did not try was nuking that table of common words. Ill bet that it has one that gets generated when an admin constructs the search table. Ill have to look into editing that table.

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Not quite. ;)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Perhaps I should have read it first.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Fundamentally. ;)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Omphalos wrote:OK. We have done a bunch of stuff tonight. One thing we did was to finish upgrading T(A)U. Jacurutu will wait until we are sure the upgrade causes no new problems. I don't anticipate any, but Jacurutu is the bigger site, and the more active one, so T(A)U kind of by default is our usual guinea-pig.

I think that the Jacurutu search issue is repaired, so let me know if it isnt. SC, I get two results for your search string, and have not seen any MySQL errors all night at Jacurutu.

As to the T(A)U search issue, we're a bit confused. The T(A)U and Jacurutu search settings are identical. This means that the system marks the 5% of the most common words as unserchable, and searches the rest for strings users input. T(A)U is telling us that "Jessica" is one of these 5% of most common words. I personally cannot believe that. To prove my point we searched the post files. Jacurutu, which returns search hits on "Jessica" has 665 iterations of that word. T(A)U has only 159, which means that the search program is screwed up, or someone has the word "Jessica" is a sig or something else that gets searched (something other than ordinary posts). We are going to have to look into this before we can try a fix. We rebuilt the search tables several times tonight and gave it different rule sets, but could not make it work. When we told it to search 100% of the posts the search ate up 83% of system reserves. So, the fix is not going to be easy like that. We are looking into the cause, and will announce when we have fixed the problem. If anyone has any ideas, please post here. Our next step is to consult with some big-brain type PHP guys we know, and go to the PHPbb site and look for documentation.

If anyone at T(A)U has the word "Jessica" in sig, would you let me know? I could not find when I searched the .sig folder, so I doubt that is the problem, but thought I'd ask....

As to MySQL errors, if you all get any others, would you take a screen capture and mail it to me please?
This may be something we have to wait for PHPbb to fix. There seems to be a lot of back and forth on it at their website. I have tried all the suggested fixes so far, with no resolution.

http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/ticket ... t_id=37985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Could it be counting the time "Jessica" appears in the topic title for each post?

Don't we have a "Jessica of Dune" topic?

My guess is that is what's happening here. Can you search for text in the message body only?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Searching "technical" gave 111 results, including the ones in the title of this thread.

Sounds like a problem in the search routine. Best to wait for the phpBB wizards to solve. :)
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Just thought I would toss this out there...

I tried to mark all forums as read - got a success message, but when I check for new posts it has over 1000.

Seems like there is still a couple of bugs to work out....

Also - no spell checker?? Wow - that is gonna suck for you guyys... :)

Post by DuneFishUK »

redbugpest wrote:Also - no spell checker?? Wow - that is gonna suck for you guyys... :)
There's a very good spellchecker addon available for Firefox - and it works on the whole internet, not just this little corner :wink:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

DuneFishUK wrote:
redbugpest wrote:Also - no spell checker?? Wow - that is gonna suck for you guyys... :)
There's a very good spellchecker addon available for Firefox - and it works on the whole internet, not just this little corner :wink:
This kid's an IE user for sure.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ha ha! :D

Hey, Conway, by the way, go fuck yourself.
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

SandChigger wrote:Ha ha! :D

I am impressed with your technical expertise expressed in the above statment...

:whistle:

Post by Eyes High »

SandChigger wrote:Ha ha! :D

Now now Chig. You are above that my dear friend. :naughty: ;)
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Actually, no, I'm not. See troll, fuck it.

This asshole is here for one reason only, to troll. So I say fuck him. He's no different than Hypatia or arnoldo.

Fuck him.
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

SandChigger wrote:Actually, no, I'm not. See troll, fuck it.

This asshole is here for one reason only, to troll. So I say fuck him. He's no different than Hypatia or arnoldo.

Fuck him.
Temper Temper

I thought you found all of this to be "Fun" and when you get on your soap box it's "To Amuse Others". Seems like you really don't like the fact that I am here.

Post by SandChigger »

You're a suck-up asshole. You were one two or three years ago on MySpace and nothing has changed. Fuck you.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

I'm running the risk of being really annoying, here, but I keep trying to send a PM and it doesn't show up in my Sent messages. I registered with T(A)U a couple days ago, but haven't been activated. So, I'm just trying to inquire with the administrator.

I have a bad feeling that Freakzilla has now received 3PMs from me, and now this post. If so... :oops:
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Technical problems?! You think you've got...AAAGH!

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I've had a message to SpiceGrandson sitting in my outbox since Christmas 2008 ....

is there some way you can make him read it ?
it's just asking for his reaction to the Spinrad Interview ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

messages stay in your outbox until someone picks them up. Then they get moved to the sentbox. I just sent one to SC and it went off without a hitch. Freak is just ignoring his PM's. That damn, dirty bastard.

Goodnight Golden Path!