Dune Roleplay #2

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Would you be interested in a Dune role play?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 9

Michelangelo

Dune Roleplay #2

Post by Michelangelo »

As I suggested HERE, who would be interested in a Dune role play using a modified version of the Diplomacy board game rules? That way the focus would be on the political intrigue and not dice rolling or some such. Copies of the Diplomacy rules can be found HERE. The only real difficulty I can find is in creating a star map that everyone could agree to while respecting the Orthodox Dune world.

Also, supposing there is interest in such a thing, what setting would be best for everyone? Would we want everyone to be a Great House with the GM acting as the 'neutral' Emperor or Space Guild? Something more akin to the original Dune board game? I would personally prefer a time before the original Dune novel to allow everyone to create their own House and duke it out without any game changing occurrences such as Paul or Leto the 2nd being around. Alternatively perhaps a setting during the timeline of the last two novels? Or something else perhaps?
lotek

Re: Dune Roleplay #2

Post by lotek »

hasn't someone else talked about a Dune board game here ?

If it's for your own personnal use it's fine, but I doubt the HLP would look kindly to someone doing anything Dune related, especially if it's better than the crap they do. (who am I kidding, we already know anything, even camel dung, is better)
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

No, he's asking if there's interest in an online RPG, here. If there's sufficient interest, Freak will create a special forum for it. :)
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

My vote says yes but my heart says no.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Michelangelo

Post by Michelangelo »

Why's your heart say no?
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

A few years ago I was actively toying with the idea of a Dune game based on Dip, and then I reached the stumbling point:
Michelangelo wrote:The only real difficulty I can find is in creating a star map that everyone could agree to while respecting the Orthodox Dune world.
Dip needs a map. Maps are fucking hard work, a good map is both fair and strategically interesting.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Michelangelo

Post by Michelangelo »

As for maps. Hmm. I think it would be best to have multiple maps representing different planetary systems within the Imperium.

Fleets would be conventional space travel. Troops would remain planet-based troops. Perhaps Sardaukar/Fremen would be worth two points instead of the basic one.

To travel between systems/maps however one would have to purchase the services of the Guild.

For the sake of the map, would there be objections to having Planets be 'flat'? That would allow the existence of space coastal regions and interior regions.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Michelangelo wrote:Why's your heart say no?
Because I wouldn't play.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Michelangelo

Post by Michelangelo »

https://dune-roleplay.org/forum/

Someone else (not me) is starting up a Dune role play if anyone is interested.