Theme

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Actually, I'm currently using DesertStorm. :?

It was a toss up between this and darkside. I didn't like Aeolus. The Bones variants were interesting, but I want something simple. This is similar to but a nice, easy-on-the-eyes change from subSilver. :wink:

Edit: Just caught a very annoying problem: the Javascript for the edit code buttons seems to be screwy. When I hightlight something to italicize or bold it, the tags get entered at the end of the text in the edit field. It's the same kind of sucky shit as happened on Arrakeen all the time. Shit.

Edit 2: Yeah, the edit buttons are definitely fucked in DesertStorm. I just switched back to subSilver and they're working fine again.

Edit 3: And they're fucked in darkside, too. :roll:

I'm going back to subSilver. Screw it. Functionality is more important that pretty-pretty.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:I'm going back to subSilver. Screw it. Functionality is more important that pretty-pretty.
We're talking about the same Desert Storm here? :?

I like Aeolus because it's easy on the eyes. The black&gold one is nice, but it's easier for me to view things on Aeolus.

Only problems I see in it is the seperation beween posts is a bit bigger, so I need to scroll more, and I think the "preview" and "submit" buttons switched places, cuz I'm hitting "preview" all the time.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:Actually, I'm currently using DesertStorm. :?

It was a toss up between this and darkside. I didn't like Aeolus. The Bones variants were interesting, but I want something simple. This is similar to but a nice, easy-on-the-eyes change from subSilver. :wink:

Edit: Just caught a very annoying problem: the Javascript for the edit code buttons seems to be screwy. When I hightlight something to italicize or bold it, the tags get entered at the end of the text in the edit field. It's the same kind of sucky shit as happened on Arrakeen all the time. Shit.

Edit 2: Yeah, the edit buttons are definitely fucked in DesertStorm. I just switched back to subSilver and they're working fine again.

Edit 3: And they're fucked in darkside, too. :roll:

I'm going back to subSilver. Screw it. Functionality is more important that pretty-pretty.
If someone else can confirm these issues I'll take those templates off.

If you know of one you like better, let me know and I'll add it.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

It may just be a Safari issue, Freak.

I'm using an older version because I've upgraded the system on this PowerBook as much as I plan to, so unless someone else complains, no need to hurry to take them off.

(By the way, Orald, "pretty-pretty" wasn't in reference to DesertStorm in particular, but to the whole appearance-over-content/function mindset...like we used to get at Arrakeen under Her Highness.)

The edit buttons not working was like number 2 or 3 on my list of bitching points about 'Keen. (At the top was the lack of a working search and no "posts since last visit" feature...obviously related issues.)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I'm using Firefox and the edit buttons for both themes work fine for me.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I'm using the dark skin.. don't remember what it's called but the edit buttons work fine when I paint the text and click the button, using Firefox.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandChigger wrote:It may just be a Safari issue, Freak.

I'm using an older version because I've upgraded the system on this PowerBook as much as I plan to, so unless someone else complains, no need to hurry to take them off.

(By the way, Orald, "pretty-pretty" wasn't in reference to DesertStorm in particular, but to the whole appearance-over-content/function mindset...like we used to get at Arrakeen under Her Highness.)

The edit buttons not working was like number 2 or 3 on my list of bitching points about 'Keen. (At the top was the lack of a working search and no "posts since last visit" feature...obviously related issues.)

I'm using the latest Safari chigger and they work fine for me. I went in and edited one of my posts and the tags were put into the proper places and I'm using the dark skin.

Rob
Last edited by Robspierre on 04 May 2008 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Aeolus
==============
yuck. looks too clinical. no excitement. harsh on the eyes.

Bones
==============
colors are okay, but the text doesn't clash enough with the colors.

BonesBlue
==============
ewwww. icky colors.

BonesSilver
==============
meh. in general fonts are too small. need better contarst.

BonesCandyCane
==============
okay, i don't Bones anything. :)

Chronicles
==============
I like! still, some of the font colors are too close tot he background color. Could be worse. Overall looks slick and bookish. Me likey.

Darkside
==============
better than Bones, but not crazy about all the gray.

DesertStorm
===============
My favorite so far. Looks natural, good contrast, appropriate colors.

SubBlack
===============
Very nice. I LOVE black backbrounds. My new favorite.

SubBilver
===============
Tried and true. not very personal though.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
orald

Post by orald »

Spicelon wrote:Aeolus
==============
yuck. looks too clinical. no excitement. harsh on the eyes.
Harsh on the yes? A pastel blue?! It's even easier on the eyes than the default skin, since there's less pure white background to cause glare.
I don't mind the clinical look, it's beter for me than too saturated that'll either distract me or make my eyes bleed.

IDK if I've got human eyesight anymore, everyone's saying how nice and easy on the eyes Desert Storm is, but all I see is bright yellow-orange that obscures everything. :?

And SC, I was never a graphics whore, I usually use default backgrounds or close to them. But including DS in the "pretty" category is an abomination. :puke:

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Please correct me if I'm wrong SC. Orald, chigger's not saying the themes is oh so pretty merely that pretty-pretty i.e. the looks/eye candy are secondary to function. Fuck, you really must have battered your head falling down that hole.
orald

Post by orald »

His mention of his usage of Desert Storm, combined with a closing remark about his abandoning of said skin in favour of the default one on terms of it being less functional, and that functionality is more important than nice graphics would more than imply that he's grouped said alternate skin in the "nice graphics" category.
Surely, if he has chosen to use it over the other ones, and mentioned no cons on part of the looks, then it would, again, more than imply that he considers it to be pretty.

So hah, shut up with yer excuses. The fashion police is on its way to arrest you.
Really, what's so hard about admitting it's to your taste or that you phrased it the wrong way?

And my brain isn't located inside my feet, inhuien, as yours might be.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

How about admitting you misread/misunderstood something?

I wrote that DesertStorm was "nice, easy-on-the-eyes". I then edited the post three times. I've already explained the meaning I used "pretty-pretty" in at the end. If you still don't get it, then that's your problem.

Shit. Why don't you go walk your dog or fuck something and work out this tension or angst or whatever the fuck is your problem and stop being such a bleeding ass around here?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Thanks for the info on functionality, everybody else.

I'll make due with the default. Unless Freak would add Getaway, which is what I'm using over on T(A)U. The buttons work fine with it. ;)

It's nice enough and easy on the eyes, too. :roll:
Phaedrus

Post by Phaedrus »

Are there any plans for a banner? For the default theme, at least, it would be nice to have something to replace the phpbb banner up there.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Re: Theme

Post by Mandy »

This is a good site to find themes, in case anyone wanted to look around.
http://www.phpbbhacks.com/styles.php

Check out Black Pearl, SandRider might like it, you probably need to change the theme up at the upper right side of the page, there's a drop down menu, choose what you want to look at them click the "change template" button. http://www.phpbbhacks.com/stylesdemo/
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Things seem to be coming together for our custom theme.

I would like to use a steady background with a content body that scrolls. For example:

http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/ElementGreen

Anyone have a problem with that?

What I envision is a landscape background. Night, of course, with dunes in the foreground transitioning into an exposed rock butte (Jacurutu) with the silver-blue sky and the two moons above. Of course I'll make obsene use of DunefishUK's beautiful OH font and my goal right now is to find a style/theme that will go well with it.

If anyone has some free time, look for a free phpbb3 theme with a steady background and scrolling forum that would go well with the curvy OH font, then we can just replace the art. I'll be doing the same.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

OR

Do y'all think a large banner with the nightscape art and Jacurutu in the OH font across it, with a simple forum below, would be better?

Like:

http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/naruto_shippuuden
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Whoa...for a second there i thought you were suggesting a manga theme... :shock:

It's late...

Yeah i prefer a large banner...
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I like the first choice better.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

This is just for the default theme, right?

In that case, big-ass banner, and something that shrieks DUNE like a demented cielago high on Navigator farts, at that. :P

Provided you're leaving the other themes so we can choose what we want once logged in. ;)
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I also like the static background idea. Of course, having DUNE in gigantic letters wouldn't hurt either. :wink:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:This is just for the default theme, right?

In that case, big-ass banner, and something that shrieks DUNE like a demented cielago high on Navigator farts, at that. :P

Provided you're leaving the other themes so we can choose what we want once logged in. ;)
Yes, this will be our default custom theme. I will of course leave all the other themes we have and I even plan to upload some more and will take requests.

For now I'd like to focus on getting something original to make us stand out to visitors... and look better than "other" Dune fan forums.

;)
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

what other Dune fan forums ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

DuneNovels.com :lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Tleszer wrote:DuneNovels.com :lol:
no no he said Dune, not McDune
I dunno, there's some decent fanfiction on there.... by that arnoldo chap. :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -