Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

So... With this return of Arrakeen, I can't help but notice a rather important matter... The only way in which that site is superior to Jacurutu is in appearance. It's much prettier. Now, I'm not saying I like their visual scheme, in fact I think it's pretty lame. Even DamnedNovels looks better than our lame little "phpbb" sign up in the corner. But the way I see it, we're going to see a boom in the online Dune community as more fans take part due to the movie hype. I think we're already seeing lots of newcomers. The question is, what impression are these newcomers going to have of the popular forums out there? I know looks aren't everything, but this is where refining our image might help with PR. Instead of looking gay like Keen, or cliche like DN, I suggest we become the most badass dune site by putting this beauty to work:

Or, we can use this slight variation I've come up with based on the genius concept by Dunefish:

I also think it would be ideal to put our mandate on the front page, below whatever logo we end up using. Something to the effect of "The True Dune Community." Nothing too specific, but enough to convince newcomers that this is the place to be.

What do you guys think? I know the Dune font isn't ready, but this could be a good start. I love the image of blood on the sand, since it reminds me of the Jacurutu legends, and it also represents the "attitude of the knife" of which we all subscribe to when it comes to which books are canon.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Can you do what you're suggesting? Or anyone?

I haven't done anything like that yet because I don't have the time to figure out how.

If anyone can make a theme using one of those banners I will upload it.

I would also like to make use of the font DunefishUK has made for titles of forums and such.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

That's cool! If you put it on a transparent background it would work for all the skins.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Freakzilla wrote:Can you do what you're suggesting? Or anyone?

I haven't done anything like that yet because I don't have the time to figure out how.

If anyone can make a theme using one of those banners I will upload it.

I would also like to make use of the font DunefishUK has made for titles of forums and such.
Umm, I don't know how to make themes either. I'm more of a designer than a coder. I am able to make a transparent BG version, but it would have to be a GIF image, and it might lose colour definition. There are other image formats that support transparency, but I'm not sure which ones can be displayed in a browser. And thanks Mandy!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

It's only small and there's not much to my version (which uses flatter colours and fewer of them) so it would work well as a gif. I've only really recently started using Gifs - and they're great for small things :D

The idea I posted in t'other thread was pretty much what Mandy says - update the logo pics for all the existing themes. They're just files and it's dead easy to ftp updated versions into the theme directories.

eg for the brown theme that I use:
get's replaced with:
Or something like it. Making it a bit customised allows for the different sized graphics in the different themes (some might be jobs too)

(That's the limit of my theme building knowledge btw :P )

Hopefully the font (version 1.0 at least) should be up tonight, all things permitting. :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I may have to ask my wife to do it, but I won't see her again for like a week until she's done.

:roll:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Anyone interested in working on themes contact me by PM. :wink:
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

To Drunken Idaho: Totally agree with you. I think "The Free Dune Community" is better.

To DuneFishUK: If you could add "member" to that banner it would look great as a sig to use here and other forums.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Here's a PNG file with both transparency and full colour. I added the drop shadow and bevel so that it would stand out against pale backgrounds...

I encourage people to look at this page with the different themes we already have available, to see how it looks.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Drunken Idaho wrote:Here's a PNG file with both transparency and full colour. I added the drop shadow and bevel so that it would stand out against pale backgrounds...

I encourage people to look at this page with the different themes we already have available, to see how it looks.
8)
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Niiice one Drunken :D

I hadn't thought of doing the shadow thing - was cocking about with changing the colours instead. But that killed the sand thing. I like pngs now :P

Quick cock-about:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

DuneFishUK wrote:Niiice one Drunken :D

I hadn't thought of doing the shadow thing - was cocking about with changing the colours instead. But that killed the sand thing. I like pngs now :P

Quick cock-about:
That's badass!
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Oh this keeps getting better and better!
DuneFishUK wrote:Niiice one Drunken :D

Quick cock-about:
Except it's "complete" not "compete" :P
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Seraphan wrote:Except it's "complete" not "compete" :P
Fuckin' moaners. :P

Fix'd. Refesh it.
Tleszer

Homage to SandRider (aka post 601)

Post by Tleszer »

DuneFishUK wrote:Image
Sweet! Great job!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

That's nice. Have you considered that the time for each slide is a little short, perhaps a few more seconds would allow for easier reading and lend the gif more gravitas.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

inhuien wrote:
That's nice. Have you considered that the time for each slide is a little short, perhaps a few more seconds would allow for easier reading and lend the gif more gravitas.
Bladdy hell - can't do anything right :roll:

I think you're right though :wink: Refresh it.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

DuneFishUK wrote:
inhuien wrote:
Bladdy hell - can't do anything right :roll:

I think you're right though :wink: Refresh it.
Man I'm sorry, I really tried to word that comment so as to be constructive and not prickish. My only motivation was to assist you in placing a well deserved cherry on your most superlative cake. :)
ARCH

Post by ARCH »

it's fine but the letters are tiny.

will it be too much effort to make them a bit larger(the arrakeen part)
btw. why do we need to mention arrakeen in a jacurutu add.

I mean, Jacurutu in the books are such a cool tribe to present and since this forum is called after them there are tons of ways of presenting this community.

I'm afraid that refering to bad blood wont attract the future generations who had no bad interactions with either of staff of former arrakeen
and it will only help Sietch Tabr.
Why isn't anyone using something new to promote this community?
You're gonna turn as all in grudge holders and hate bashers by refering to Arrakeen.
I think the add will hold more meaning if you stick to the books and leave wool gathering to Sandchigger.
" Nature beauteous form
Contains a lovely essence
Called by some- decay
By this lovely presence
New life finds its way.
Tears shed silently
Are but water of soul
They bring new life
To the pain of being--
A separation from that seeing
Which death makes whole."
-klAckAlicA-

omnia mea mecum porto.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Was joking inhuien - C&C is always welcome: Thanks for helping make it better :)

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife -- chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here."
-- "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Straight out of Dune.

IIRC my Arrakeen post count by the end was 0 - I don't really give a toss about all that stuff. :P
ARCH

Post by ARCH »

DuneFishUK wrote:Was joking inhuien - C&C is always welcome: Thanks for helping make it better :)

Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife -- chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now, it's complete because it's ended here."
-- "Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib" by the Princess Irulan

Straight out of Dune.

IIRC my Arrakeen post count by the end was 0 - I don't really give a toss about all that stuff. :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
then it's an unbelievable good idea
(you've got me with the quote, these arraken bashing posts lately have totally made me insane, a minute more and i would have a blood bath :lol: )

but you stilll need to make the letters a bit larger.
Can you do that?
The sentence would have more impact.
" Nature beauteous form
Contains a lovely essence
Called by some- decay
By this lovely presence
New life finds its way.
Tears shed silently
Are but water of soul
They bring new life
To the pain of being--
A separation from that seeing