What is Your Profession?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

I am a test engineer at a NASA center in Alabama. I break stuff at really cold temperatures (liquid hydrogen -423F). The only thing colder is liquid helium. It's a fun job and it has lots of neat benefits.

BTW today was the first paycheck with my recent review and promotion, so I to salute to the better check.

Drink Up!
loremaster

Post by loremaster »

everyone has such interesting jobs!

Here was me thinking you were all a boring lot.
The HLP hasnt released Frank's notes yet, Brian hasn't got the handwriting quite right!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

loremaster wrote:everyone has such interesting jobs!

Here was me thinking you were all a boring lot.
I will confirm the boring part. Starting next wednesday I am a Civil Servant at our local welfare department.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

I own a print finishing shop which means I run presses, do accounting, run deliveries, deal with employee problems, hire/fire, sales, and am a general problem solver.

Print finishing is where a printer sends us a job and we "finish" it, like foil stamping and embossing, die cutting, fold/glue, and glossy coatings. It's actually really fun but in this economy a little challenging. I've been in the printing industry since I was 16.

So, if anyone ever needs any presentation folders with foil stamping for their company, I'm your guy.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Crysknife wrote:I own a print finishing shop which means I run presses, do accounting, run deliveries, deal with employee problems, hire/fire, sales, and am a general problem solver.

Print finishing is where a printer sends us a job and we "finish" it, like foil stamping and embossing, die cutting, fold/glue, and glossy coatings. It's actually really fun but in this economy a little challenging. I've been in the printing industry since I was 16.

So, if anyone ever needs any presentation folders with foil stamping for their company, I'm your guy.
Ill make sure you guys get the contract for the gold leaf on my first leather-bouond novel. :wink:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Omphalos wrote:
Crysknife wrote:I own a print finishing shop which means I run presses, do accounting, run deliveries, deal with employee problems, hire/fire, sales, and am a general problem solver.

Ill make sure you guys get the contract for the gold leaf on my first leather-bouond novel. :wink:
I'll race you. :wink:

I should have a nice juicy novel in about 11 years at my current rate...
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
trang wrote:Congrats Freak, would that be Seimans?

Honeywell :)
A MN company right? Do they ever send you up here?
I think their main office is in Connecticut but they do have one in MN.

They pretty much keep me in my cube working on drawings. I don't have any experience programing so they haven't sent me out to any jobs yet. It would be nice to trave occasionally but I'm not sure I want to, from the phone conversations I hear other guys in the office having with customers it sounds like a nightmare.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

I'm an archaeologist and I run a cultural resources program at a DoD installation. I help insure the military follows federal historic preservation laws before they go out and fuck up archaeology sites :D

I mostly run archaeology contracts, consult with interested parties such as the states and the Tribes. I do a little actual fieldwork, but mostly my staff handles that stuff and I just review and sign off on it. With the exception of human burials; I'm something on an expert on human burials so I usually do the excavations and analysis myself.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:I'm an archaeologist and I run a cultural resources program at a DoD installation. I help insure the military follows federal historic preservation laws before they go out and fuck up archaeology sites :D

I mostly run archaeology contracts, consult with interested parties such as the states and the Tribes. I do a little actual fieldwork, but mostly my staff handles that stuff and I just review and sign off on it. With the exception of human burials; I'm something on an expert on human burials so I usually do the excavations and analysis myself.

when I grow up, I want to be him ^ :D
Graverobber? :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Hehe, its not robbing if its in the name of Science! :wink:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Tleilax Master B wrote:Hehe, its not robbing if its in the name of Science! :wink:
I think I tried that to get laid once.

"I wanna sleep with you, in the name of science. I promise I'll write a paper on it afterward. In fact, it's going to be peer-reviewed, so it's best if I turn on the camera while we're having sex. :)

It didn't work. I have to move to California and try it. I'm not sure why, but I've got a feeling it would work in that state :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:
Tleilax Master B wrote:Hehe, its not robbing if its in the name of Science! :wink:

"I wanna sleep with you, in the name of science. I promise I'll write a paper on it afterward. In fact, it's going to be peer-reviewed, so it's best if I turn on the camera while we're having sex. :)

It didn't work. I have to move to California and try it. I'm not sure why, but I've got a feeling it would work in that state :)
Here's one I used, that worked.

I told her I wanted to test a new infra-red security camera, and hooked it up to my TV in the bedroom. We turned the lights off and did our thing. On the tape it showed as clear as if the lights were on, except the hotter something was the brighter is showed up. It had a very interesting contrast.

Man, I wish I still had that tape, she was hot. :P
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

Tleilax Master B wrote:I'm an archaeologist and I run a cultural resources program at a DoD installation. I help insure the military follows federal historic preservation laws before they go out and fuck up archaeology sites :D

Really an Archaeologist? my 13 year old daughter is very interested in that field. Would you have any advice for going after that? Topics she should focus on, degree path, schools that have good programs for that?

I know it sounds a little early for her at 13 but she has been talking about it since she was 7, she loves ancient cultures and the like. We have that in common I love history, but never felt the need to let out my innner Indy Jones.

Any info would be most appreciated, posted here, PM or can give email in PM.

Thanks much,
Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Already collecting cell samples for your ghola projects eh?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:

Already collecting cell samples for your ghola projects eh?
Next Pinky & The Brian trilogy: Mummies of Dune :roll:
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Motion Graphics Designer

I work for a company that runs LED video billboards. You know the distracting ones that cause highway accidents? Well I make the flashy animated ads responsible for those... :)

We also do corporate videos, for which I do the graphics and editing.

Check out my demo reel:

http://vimeo.com/1710304
A Thing of Eternity

Drunken Idaho wrote:Motion Graphics Designer

I work for a company that runs LED video billboards. You know the distracting ones that cause highway accidents? Well I make the flashy animated ads responsible for those... :)
Neat, the company I work for sometimes installs/builds those. Same screens we install as the video part of the scoreboard at sports arenas. They're a wee bit expensive. :D
ARCH

Post by ARCH »

Omphalos wrote:I handle legal matters for a large insurance company. I do a lot more for them, actually, but that is the core of my job.

Congratulations, Freak!
do you think of suicide much?
it's okay to say yes.
:lol:

i'm law university drop out.
after i drinked away my scholarship
now i'm history&sociology student again on scholarship.
so i'm not doing anything that brings money casue to get a degree
here where i live...
let's just say it's a soul eating affair.

but i'll probably end up like Tlei.
" Nature beauteous form
Contains a lovely essence
Called by some- decay
By this lovely presence
New life finds its way.
Tears shed silently
Are but water of soul
They bring new life
To the pain of being--
A separation from that seeing
Which death makes whole."
-klAckAlicA-

omnia mea mecum porto.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:

You don't even have to go that far with it to get it to work here. :wink:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
MICAH

Post by MICAH »

i'm a production manager at a wholesale bakery
orald

Post by orald »

I've been working at a gas station for almost five months now, trying to save money for university and such.
Will start looking for a new job, probably as a shop clerk(?) or something soon, though I've been saying that for two months now. :(

And when I "grow up", I want to be like TMB! :D Only maybe with some more field work(yea, I bet it's actually really dull work).
Either that or something biology related.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Archaeology or Biology, huh?

Cool. :)

(See, that didN'T hurt, did it?)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
orald

Post by orald »

You're such a source of encouragement to this world's youth, Chig.

And it might surprise you, but if I were willing and able to emotionally cope with such a job, the fastest course to get that much needed money would've been prostitution, and yes, I have considered it, but I just can't.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
A Thing of Eternity

orald wrote:You're such a source of encouragement to this world's youth, Chig.

And it might surprise you, but if I were willing and able to emotionally cope with such a job, the fastest course to get that much needed money would've been prostitution, and yes, I have considered it, but I just can't.
What about stripping? A friend of mine used to make 300-500 bucks a night. Granted, she was a decent lookin chick, which helps...

Prostitution's no good. Ends badly. Don't do it!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

You could whore yourself out to a thousand fat chicks for fifty bucks apiece, or, or fifty really fat chicks for a thousand bucks. What? Don't look at me like that, fat chicks need love too... but they gotta pay.
~Quagmire
~Pink Snowman