What is Your Profession?

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(Cheers for the explanation, 'Luv & lore! :D )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
valys

Post by valys »

Frybread wrote:Very poor journalist.
Me too! :lol: Sports journalist, even. Never knew what I wanted to be when I grow up, and not even Indiana Jones could direct me to archeology. Actually, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. :mrgreen:
Like I said before, I never repeat myself.
orald

Post by orald »

Nice to see I'm still remembered.

Still pumping gas, saving money for university or whatever it is I'm supposed to be saving for. Still getting shat at by stupid assholes who don't even know how to fuel their cars or think they deserve everything before everybody else.

At least the salary is resonable...for someone who works 28-31 days a month at minimum wage.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

orald wrote:Nice to see I'm still remembered.

Still pumping gas, saving money for university or whatever it is I'm supposed to be saving for. Still getting shat at by stupid assholes who don't even know how to fuel their cars or think they deserve everything before everybody else.

At least the salary is resonable...for someone who works 28-31 days a month at minimum wage.
I miss you. Just not the same without you here.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

me too.
I recall you left last time after a spat with the SandChigger.
I now have him on a short leash, so c'mon back.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

THIS is a short leash? :shock:

(Hope the computer situation resolves soon. Miss you, Cuppy! :D )
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Back ! Back, you devil !
Back, I say !

Roll over ! Play dead !

Good Chigger !
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Back. Roll over. Play dead.

Make up yer goddammed mind already. :twisted:
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

^^^I must resist....

Oh btw what are you doing with a photo of my Mother in Law as your new avatar?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh. She said you'd probably recognize it. :shock:

:P
Unfront

Post by Unfront »

Hi everyone! I am new here, however a long time fan of Dune. I am a distiller by trade. I work at a distillery in Portland Oregon and make vodka, gin and absinthe. I am in a freezing cold warehouse right now tending three pot stills. :lol:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Unfront wrote:Hi everyone! I am new here, however a long time fan of Dune. I am a distiller by trade. I work at a distillery in Portland Oregon and make vodka, gin and absinthe. I am in a freezing cold warehouse right now tending three pot stills. :lol:
Welcome!

I went to college in Portland, Oregon ... where I drank vodka, gin, and absinthe. What a coincidence! :wink:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
dunepunk

Post by dunepunk »

Hi, I'm new here as well.

I am currently un-employed, or as I prefer to think of it, I am a full-time student working on an undergraduate degree in philosophy. :D
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that the thoughts acquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

dunepunk wrote:Hi, I'm new here as well.

I am currently un-employed, or as I prefer to think of it, I am a full-time student working on an undergraduate degree in philosophy. :D
Ah. A bullshit artist. So, when was the last time you bullshitted?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Welcome. Twice Welcome. All ya'lls Water is Ours.
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

(^^^ Originally from one of the outlying southern sietches, where they speak Fremen with a drawl. :lol: )

Achlan wasachlan.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I honestly didn't know how to phrase that. I was claiming the Water
of the dunepunk and that other guy.

"All ya'll" is the proper plural where I come from.

The Water of Both of You is Ours ?

I guess "Your Water is Ours" would be correct for two people, as well, but ...

Hey guess what ? I sobered up for about 3 or 4 hours, then started in
on the case of Lone Star that's been out on the porch fridge since before
thanksgivin'......
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SandRider wrote:"All ya'll" is the proper plural where I come from...
As is "you'ns" where I come from. ;)

That's an enclosed or screened porch, right? Ah, southern living...ain't it da life! :D
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

yeah, that's more a rust belt thing.

I used to be real good at telling you where you were from in the South
by your accent. Virginia & Georgia are very different from Alabama or
south Arkansas.'

the Henry Higgins of the Confederacy ...
ImageImage

dunepunk

Post by dunepunk »

Omphalos wrote:

Probably my final paper for my philosophy class. I wrote it in defense of a compatibilist view of free will (i.e. free will as compatible with a deterministic universe). haha :lol:
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of sapho that the thoughts acquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
dunepunk

Post by dunepunk »

Baraka Bryan wrote:
dunepunk wrote:
Omphalos wrote:

Probably my final paper for my philosophy class. I wrote it in defense of a compatibilist view of free will (i.e. free will as compatible with a deterministic universe). haha :lol:
lol who was it that said something about even thse believing in fate and a deterministic universe still look both ways before crossing the street?
I don't know, but that's a good one!
orald

Post by orald »

You should partly ignore my last post here, I was a tad angry and depressed for a week, 'tis almost over now. Still hate my boss, but that's usual. She's a lying, bigotted bitch.

Did you know? Listening to Rammstien's Rammstien while swinging an axe indoors(also while going amock) may result in broken furniture! Be ye warned!

Well, it was half broken before anyway... :wink:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

orald wrote:Did you know? Listening to Rammstien's Rammstien while swinging an axe indoors(also while going amock) may result in broken furniture! Be ye warned!

Well, it was half broken before anyway... :wink:
:lol:

Thanks for sharing; I've been thinking about doing that for a while now.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Try to find one of those mini chainsaws.

What remains ofttimes creates ... interesting patterns. ;)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:
SandRider wrote:"All ya'll" is the proper plural where I come from...
As is "you'ns" where I come from. ;)

That's an enclosed or screened porch, right? Ah, southern living...ain't it da life! :D
It's "y'all" not "ya'll" and it's already plural.
y'all vs. all y'all

Correction: In Texas (and most of The South), "y'all" is singular, and "all y'all" is plural.

I'm a native Texan (raised in Arlington, home of the Texas Rangers baseball team), and "y'all" is plural, and "you" is singular. -- KeithRay

My wife is Texan, from Fort Worth, and one of her friends said "only a Texan really understands the difference between Y'all and all y'all. Both are plural, and as far as an Englishman can tell "y'all" is just a plural "you" whereas all y'all means something like "each and every one of you" but with some difference in shade of meaning which is "Just beyond anyone not native to Texas...". Maybe a Texan could comment...

Sure. "All y'all" is short for "all of y'all" (e.g. "all y'all are under arrest."), just like "sum y'all" is short for "some of y'all" (e.g. "sum y'all will not grad-u-ate.") -- KeithRay

Fascinating. I was born in Mississippi, am living in Alabama, and until this moment had never noticed the usage of "all y'all". It's not something I say frequently, if ever, but I definitely recognize it. Anyway, plain-old "y'all" is definitely plural. And in the really rural parts of Mississippi, it is pronounced "gray-j'ate" :) -- Richard Rapp

[more recently moved from SingularThey]

This is not unique to Texas. Here in North Carolina, we also have singular "you", plural "y'all", and plural "all y'all" (meaning "each and every one of you"). This "y'all is singular, all y'all is plural" is a common misconception that was perpetuated by a stupid joke e-mail (Now you've gone and let the yankees in on the joke.) that went around for a few years. The confusion probably arises because you can use "y'all" when speaking to a single person, but it is understood to mean "you and the group with which you are commonly associated". For example, if I end a conversation with my friend with "y'all have a good weekend", it means "you, your wife, and your kids have a good weekend". -- EddieDeyo

One of the biggest differences between "y'all" and "all y'all' can be seen in the following question. If I were to ask a group of people "Do y'all have a car," I would most likely mean do you have a car between you all. If I were to ask "Do all y'all have a car," I would be asking if each person in the group owned a car. Or if I were addressing a crowd, I might ask "Do y'all have parents in the military?"... I would want the people with parents in the military to answer affirmatively. If I were to ask "Do all y'all have parents in the military?" I would be either asking for a response from any individual who might be able to answer for the whole crowd (if every single person had parents in the military) or I would be asking for people who did not have parents in the military to speak up. I am implying that I think that most people in the audience have parents in the military with the question. There are dozens of contexts here, so to some extent, you need to be a native Texan or Southerner to really understand the different variations. For the most part, "y'all" could replace "all y'all," but "all y'all" will not replace "y'all" in all situations. From that standpoint, "all y'all" carries a more specific meaning than "y'all" --Carter Mayfield
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PluralYou
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman