• Register
  • Login
  •          

    I finally found it: the "cool kids" forum

    Image
      Tell us a little about yourself

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    I finally found it: the "cool kids" forum

    Postby TheDukester » 20 Jun 2008 14:01

    Damnit, that took long enough. Maybe I was just distracted by never being approved to participate over at DuneNovels (hey, Byron, if you hang out here: seriously, man, I tried two different computers. It's like you somehow know I loathe the non-canon stuff.)

    Anyway, let's see ... I'll keep this brief (stop applauding, you!). I'm a massive Dune fan (the original novel, that is) who knows progressively less about each book in the series. It's pretty much safe to say that I'll never argue a point that's not made in the first three books; I'm borderline clueless after that. I'm currently listening to the recent audiobook versions of the first two books, and finding them to be quite good. I also play the Dune boardgame (Avalon Hill, not that roll-your-dice-and-move-your-mice thing from Parker Bros.) quite a bit, and find that it really makes the events of the original novel come alive in an interesting way.

    What else? Well, I liked the miniseries better than the movie ... I'm not sure if that's considered heretical or not here, but it's true. I even thought the costumes were cool ... and, yes, before you ask: I do like girls. I even married one. Feyd's costume was a little much, though; that damn triangle was just annoying.

    Oh, and if you like the Cosmic Enconter or Dune boardgames, then I write a blog that might interest you: http://ce.typepad.com/cosmic/

    That's about it, Dune-wise. I'm still working on proving my thesis than Sandworms of Dune actually causes cancer of the eyes, but I'm not quite there. I'll start a new thread if I have a breakthrough.
    User avatar
    TheDukester
     
    Posts: 3808
    Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
    Location: Operation Enduring Bacon

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 20 Jun 2008 14:24

    Welcome. I've been looking for one of those Avalon Hill set's, but I keep putting it off because I have no one that would play it with me... and I'd look pretty silly playing it against myself.
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Postby Omphalos » 20 Jun 2008 14:25

    Hellooooooooooooo!

    Freak really liked the hats in the miniseries, so you guys should start a new thread about that. :lol:
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6501
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Re: I finally found it: the "cool kids" forum

    Postby HoosierDaddy » 20 Jun 2008 14:34

    TheDukester wrote:Maybe I was just distracted by never being approved to participate over at DuneNovels (hey, Byron, if you hang out here: seriously, man, I tried two different computers. It's like you somehow know I loathe the non-canon stuff.)


    Byron is, if anything, well read on the internets. He keeps track of names on all the Dune sites, including Amazon.com reviews. Filthy job if you ask me, but he's just the guy for it.

    :P
    HoosierDaddy
     

    Postby inhuien » 20 Jun 2008 14:36

    hihi TheDukester hihi :)
    Image
    SandRider wrote: :tissue2:
    SandRider wrote:I MISS HIM SOOOOOO MUCH !!!!
    User avatar
    inhuien
     
    Posts: 3619
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
    Location: right here as in not (all) there

    Re: I finally found it: the "cool kids" forum

    Postby TheDukester » 20 Jun 2008 14:42

    HoosierDaddy wrote:He keeps track of names on all the Dune sites, including Amazon.com reviews

    Ah ... that might actually explain it then. I didn't have a lot of kind words for Sandworms over at Amazon, and then I got progressively angrier when my 1-star reviews were deleted (presumably following the whining from the HLP and/or Tor).

    That's just sad, though. I'm not a big believer in penalizing potential users for alleged "infractions" at entirely different sites. And I've actually seen a couple of threads over there (DuneNovels) that I think I could add something to. Ugh. Maybe it's just not worth worrying about.
    User avatar
    TheDukester
     
    Posts: 3808
    Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
    Location: Operation Enduring Bacon

    Re: I finally found it: the "cool kids" forum

    Postby Phaedrus » 20 Jun 2008 14:55

    TheDukester wrote:That's just sad, though. I'm not a big believer in penalizing potential users for alleged "infractions" at entirely different sites. And I've actually seen a couple of threads over there (DuneNovels) that I think I could add something to. Ugh. Maybe it's just not worth worrying about.


    It's not worth worrying about; your posts would just get deleted over there anyway.

    And welcome! You'll fit in here nicely with that statement about Sandworms.
    You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.
    User avatar
    Phaedrus
     
    Posts: 551
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 04:35

    Postby TheDukester » 20 Jun 2008 14:57

    A Thing of Eternity wrote:I've been looking for one of those Avalon Hill set's, but I keep putting it off ...

    Yeah, they can be a bit of a beast to find (especially in good shape), but they appear fairly regularly on eBay. There's three sets up right now as I'm typing this; here's a search string that might be of some use to you in the future:

    http://search.ebay.com/dune-avalon_W0QQ ... R8QQfsopZ1

    That searches just the "games" category for the words "Dune" AND "Avalon." That will help you avoid the Parker Bros. thing.

    The game is also being re-released next year by Fantasy Flight Games ... sort of. It's actually a source of controversy in the gaming world, since FFG will use the Dune game mechanics in their own Twilight: Imperium setting. The game will no longer take place on Arrakis, in other words.

    And take a guess as to why FFG couldn't get the green light to just update, modernize, and re-release the game ... take a wild guess. I'll bet you all will get it.
    User avatar
    TheDukester
     
    Posts: 3808
    Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
    Location: Operation Enduring Bacon

    Postby Mandy » 20 Jun 2008 16:10

    TheDukester wrote:And take a guess as to why FFG couldn't get the green light to just update, modernize, and re-release the game ... take a wild guess. I'll bet you all will get it.


    The comb-over would be denied his cut of the profits, so he told Brian to tell them no :P

    Welcome to Jacurutu!
    User avatar
    Mandy
    Cat Herder
     
    Posts: 1700
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18

    Postby GamePlayer » 20 Jun 2008 16:12

    If this is the cool crowd, I haven't a clue what I would be doing here :)

    I'm in the same boat as you. I've read the first Frank Herbert book and the second book I've read twice now and I'm currently on my second read through the third. Never touched the other ones as yet, but I'm slowly getting there. he prequels are shit and I'm not wasting my precious reading time on them.

    Welcome to the boards!
    User avatar
    GamePlayer
    70mm God
     
    Posts: 2993
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 11:26
    Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

    Postby TheDukester » 20 Jun 2008 16:20

    Mandy wrote:The comb-over would be denied his cut of the profits, so he told Brian to tell them no :P

    FTW!

    Word is the HLP had zero interest in making this happen, despite Fantasy Flight being arguably the best U.S.-based game manufacturer operating today.

    Awesome avatar, BTW. I mean, I'm happily married and all that ... to, uh, whatever her name was ... but I'm not quite dead yet. That is just smokin' hot (said the pig).
    "Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
    User avatar
    TheDukester
     
    Posts: 3808
    Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
    Location: Operation Enduring Bacon

    Postby Omphalos » 20 Jun 2008 16:23

    Hey Dukester. I just noticed your location. Im just over the hill from you in Sacratomato. So is my brother Ragabash who occasionally shows up in these here parts.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6501
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Postby TheDukester » 20 Jun 2008 16:26

    Sacto.! Nice ... except for the 200 degrees part, right? :)

    I was just in Roseville not long ago, actually, and ... hey, why is everyone nodding off?
    "Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
    User avatar
    TheDukester
     
    Posts: 3808
    Joined: 20 Jun 2008 13:44
    Location: Operation Enduring Bacon

    Postby Omphalos » 20 Jun 2008 16:33

    TheDukester wrote:Sacto.! Nice ... except for the 200 degrees part, right? :)

    I was just in Roseville not long ago, actually, and ... hey, why is everyone nodding off?


    Apparently that is a thing of the past. Were gonna hit 103 today, but that is like the first time this year, and its going into the 80's this weekend.

    BTW, I love Reno 911 (especially the one with the scavenger hunt), so.....you got that goin' for ya!
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6501
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Postby trang » 20 Jun 2008 18:26

    Welcome Dukester!! I have permenant retna damage from reading hunters and sandworms, as well as, healing brain hemmoraging, no cancer as of yet, but can put my account on your thesis:)

    I hope you get opportunity to take a ride on the GodEmperor train! you wont regret it!

    The opening sequence is quite exciting... leading to the God Emperor himself. You get to read over his thoughts and actions as the story movies forward. Up till the middle the book is a cerebral ride (try stuffing an elephant into your skull with a six pack of lub and a shoehorn!) but then FH slowly guides you to the test site for the Dune 400 gee rocket sled. He invites you on, straps you in, and BLASTS YOU THRU to the end!! WHAT A RUSH!!

    heretics and Chapterhouse are Wonderous also, treat yourself you wont be sorry.

    Again Welcome, Im here, post sparingly, but here.

    FairDay,
    Trang
    "Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

    Image

    "Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
    But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.."
    User avatar
    trang
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
    Location: Hot Tub Time Machine

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 20 Jun 2008 20:02

    TheDukester wrote:
    A Thing of Eternity wrote:I've been looking for one of those Avalon Hill set's, but I keep putting it off ...

    Yeah, they can be a bit of a beast to find (especially in good shape), but they appear fairly regularly on eBay. There's three sets up right now as I'm typing this; here's a search string that might be of some use to you in the future:

    http://search.ebay.com/dune-avalon_W0QQ ... R8QQfsopZ1

    That searches just the "games" category for the words "Dune" AND "Avalon." That will help you avoid the Parker Bros. thing.


    I've seen quite a few of them whilst I lurk on ebay for certain Dune related items... Like I said though, I can't bring myself to buy a board game that no one will play with me. Maybe someday :cry:

    Phaedrus wrote:
    TheDukester wrote:That's just sad, though. I'm not a big believer in penalizing potential users for alleged "infractions" at entirely different sites. And I've actually seen a couple of threads over there (DuneNovels) that I think I could add something to. Ugh. Maybe it's just not worth worrying about.


    It's not worth worrying about; your posts would just get deleted over there anyway.


    I'm learning that.
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Postby SandChigger » 20 Jun 2008 23:38

    GamePlayer wrote:If this is the cool crowd, I haven't a clue what I would be doing here :)

    Definitely. :roll:


    HEY, DUKESTER! Welcome aboard!
    I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

    I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

    I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14487
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Postby Illogical Banana » 21 Jun 2008 00:33

    Hello, and Welcome!
    “But what is the good of friendship if one cannot say exactly what one means? Anybody can say charming things and try to please and to flatter, but a true friend always says unpleasant things, and does not mind giving pain. Indeed, if he is a really true friend he prefers it, for he knows that then he is doing good.” -Oscar Wilde
    Illogical Banana
     
    Posts: 60
    Joined: 24 Feb 2008 11:49

    Postby orald » 21 Jun 2008 00:41

    Hi! :)

    I'm the nicest guy around these parts, ask everyone and they'll tell ya. :)
    In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

    I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
    User avatar
    orald
     
    Posts: 3010
    Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
    Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital

    Postby Robspierre » 21 Jun 2008 03:39

    Welcome :D


    Rob
    User avatar
    Robspierre
     
    Posts: 2159
    Joined: 19 Feb 2008 10:49
    Location: Cascadia

    Postby Serkanner » 21 Jun 2008 03:59

    Welcome.
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

    “There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

    Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    User avatar
    Serkanner
     
    Posts: 2778
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
    Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

    Postby Nekhrun » 21 Jun 2008 08:34

    Hi.
    User avatar
    Nekhrun
    Icelandic Wiener
     
    Posts: 3287
    Joined: 10 Feb 2008 16:27

    Postby KJA » 21 Jun 2008 09:12

    Mandy wrote:
    TheDukester wrote:And take a guess as to why FFG couldn't get the green light to just update, modernize, and re-release the game ... take a wild guess. I'll bet you all will get it.


    The comb-over would be denied his cut of the profits, so he told Brian to tell them no :P


    Yeah, the little bitch got lost on the way and steered off the road into the trees on his segway.

    I swear I gotta do everything myself.

    Welcome, blah, blah, blah...
    "The harder I work, the luckier I get."
    User avatar
    KJA
     
    Posts: 31
    Joined: 03 Jun 2008 08:30
    Location: USA

    Postby BH » 21 Jun 2008 12:21

    I'will roll that Sugway right up you're ass!
    The Mutati are NOT facedancers! They are TOTALLY different! Can'you'not see that?
    User avatar
    BH
     
    Posts: 31
    Joined: 04 Jun 2008 10:58

    Postby orald » 21 Jun 2008 13:39

    BH wrote:I'will roll that Sugway right up you're ass!

    It's not a threat if you tell people what they already like. :?
    In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

    I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
    User avatar
    orald
     
    Posts: 3010
    Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
    Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital

    Next

    Return to ˱

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests