• Register
  • Login
  •          

    Howdy!

    Image
      Tell us a little about yourself

    Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

    Howdy!

    Postby trang » 06 May 2008 19:14

    Name is Trang, been member of Dunenovels forum for over a year now. Dune fan since age 12, 40 now. Have read every book in the series.
    Prefer FH original 6.
    Have purchased everything that I can get my hands on that FH has written and read most of them.

    Been trying to get registered here at jacurutu since I saw it started up but never could get past the security box thing, wouldnt take anything I entered, until today obviously.

    at present I am into Military Sci-fi genre, have collected over 75 books and reading them at present.

    I own from ButJihad thru Sandworms. Have Dune encyclopedia, and just about all of FH's books paper back version. I have collected some of Brian herberts as well.
    Last FH I read were destination void, whipping star and dosadi experiment

    glad to be aboard and join the flow of Dune conversation.

    Be well, Fair Day,
    Trang
    User avatar
    trang
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
    Location: Hot Tub Time Machine

    Postby Mandy » 06 May 2008 20:07

    Hi trang, nice to meet you.
    User avatar
    Mandy
    Cat Herder
     
    Posts: 1700
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 20:18

    Re: Howdy!

    Postby Freakzilla » 06 May 2008 20:13

    trang wrote:Name is Trang, been member of Dunenovels forum for over a year now. Dune fan since age 12, 40 now. Have read every book in the series.
    Prefer FH original 6.
    Have purchased everything that I can get my hands on that FH has written and read most of them.


    Welcome!

    trang wrote:Been trying to get registered here at jacurutu since I saw it started up but never could get past the security box thing, wouldnt take anything I entered, until today obviously.


    Sorry about that! I didn't know there was a problem.

    trang wrote:at present I am into Military Sci-fi genre, have collected over 75 books and reading them at present.

    I own from ButJihad thru Sandworms. Have Dune encyclopedia, and just about all of FH's books paper back version. I have collected some of Brian herberts as well.
    Last FH I read were destination void, whipping star and dosadi experiment

    glad to be aboard and join the flow of Dune conversation.

    Be well, Fair Day,
    Trang



    Butt Jihad :lol:

    That sounds fun!
    Image
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    User avatar
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
     
    Posts: 17973
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
    Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    Postby Omphalos » 06 May 2008 20:50

    The CATCHCA system we have installed is intentionally hard to read. The easier it is for the human eye, the easier it is for spambots OCR. We make it tough on purpose so the Freak and I do not have to research each and every person who tries to sign up. Sorry if it took you a long time to decipher, but thats the price we all have to pay for rock-solid security around here.

    If any other potential users are wrestling with this, please contact either me or Freakzilla over at T(A)U or DN and tell us your desired username so that we can set you up with an account that you can then customize, change pass word, etc.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6526
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Postby GamePlayer » 06 May 2008 21:51

    A big hello to the new person! :)
    User avatar
    GamePlayer
    70mm God
     
    Posts: 2993
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 11:26
    Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

    Postby orald » 07 May 2008 05:44

    I'd welcome you, but I saw your post in Whipping Star where you hoped bH will take on that universe and write Jorj X. Mckie stories...so I'm not so sure anymore. :shock:

    Well, welcome aboard, I'll pretend you were drunk at the time. :D
    In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

    I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
    User avatar
    orald
     
    Posts: 3010
    Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
    Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital

    Postby inhuien » 07 May 2008 06:05

    Hi Trang, welcome :)

    edit to add
    Missing R, sorry mate.
    Last edited by inhuien on 07 May 2008 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
    Image
    User avatar
    inhuien
     
    Posts: 3629
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 05:03
    Location: right here as in not (all) there

    Postby SandChigger » 07 May 2008 07:37

    Hello again. ;)
    I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

    I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

    I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Postby trang » 07 May 2008 08:26

    orald wrote:I'd welcome you, but I saw your post in Whipping Star where you hoped bH will take on that universe and write Jorj X. Mckie stories...so I'm not so sure anymore. :shock:

    Well, welcome aboard, I'll pretend you were drunk at the time. :D


    I assume your opinion of BH writing on his own isnt up to snuff? I have a few of his solo efforts I have yet to read, so I cant say how good he is.

    The colaberation with KJA has produced readable additions but not canon by no strecth of the imagination. Like I had stated I prefer the Original series by FH and love eveyrthing else so far I have of his.

    I have seen posts of most of the folks here, and understand fully that KJA gets no luv. His writings are overdefined and reptative.

    Maybe if KJA is dropped, removed, excercised, or warded away, BH can start working solo and maybe channel FH.

    I dont have some of the more intimate details or relationships with anyone involved with the HLP, so All I know is what I garner from posts on dunenovels and here.

    So anyway, thanks for welcome and look forward to lively discussion about dune and other topics.

    Trang
    User avatar
    trang
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
    Location: Hot Tub Time Machine

    Postby orald » 07 May 2008 10:50

    All I've heard from people here who read BH's solo works is they're just as bad.

    I've had this question in mind and never got to find out the truth- A Man of Two Worlds was written by FH with BH, but the publishing date would suggest FH died or couldn't participate much before the book was finished due to his illness(though it could be it was out at the begining of the year, several months before his final departure).

    I've read it a few years back, and it starts well, but towards the end it seems a little of a rush job, and something's lacking.
    So, did FH die before it was completed and the ending is all BH writing(granted, with FH's directions still in mind, but that never stopped BH from ignoring his father's will)? Is that why it goes downhill so rapidly?
    It's been too long to remember what exactly is bad about it, but I still have that lasting impression.

    SC, I think it's you who constantly points at the female abuse in the prequels, so who was it you blamed for it, BH or KJA? I seem to have an impression of some female abuse(or just "bad shit happens") at the end of AMoTW.
    In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

    I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
    User avatar
    orald
     
    Posts: 3010
    Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
    Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 07 May 2008 11:26

    orald wrote:All I've heard from people here who read BH's solo works is they're just as bad.

    I've had this question in mind and never got to find out the truth- A Man of Two Worlds was written by FH with BH, but the publishing date would suggest FH died or couldn't participate much before the book was finished due to his illness(though it could be it was out at the begining of the year, several months before his final departure).

    I've read it a few years back, and it starts well, but towards the end it seems a little of a rush job, and something's lacking.
    So, did FH die before it was completed and the ending is all BH writing(granted, with FH's directions still in mind, but that never stopped BH from ignoring his father's will)? Is that why it goes downhill so rapidly?
    It's been too long to remember what exactly is bad about it, but I still have that lasting impression.

    SC, I think it's you who constantly points at the female abuse in the prequels, so who was it you blamed for it, BH or KJA? I seem to have an impression of some female abuse(or just "bad shit happens") at the end of AMoTW.

    That's actually the first FH book I ever read when I was a kid, then it sat in my collection for so long that I think I made it all the way to Heretics before I realized that I had allready read some of his stuff. I'd have to re-read it to comment (haven't read it since the first time) but I don't remember it being overly strong.

    Trang - welcome
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Postby orald » 07 May 2008 15:35

    The premise and start of it are very promising, that at least I can tell for sure.
    In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

    I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
    User avatar
    orald
     
    Posts: 3010
    Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
    Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital

    Postby Serkanner » 07 May 2008 15:51

    Judging by the way he has written the biography I am almost coming to the conclusion that KJA is even a less worse writer then BH.

    It is far too long ago that I haveread "Man of two worlds", so I can't judge it now. It is very hard to find over here as well. Should put some more effort finding it perhaps.

    Hello Trang, welcome!
    User avatar
    Serkanner
     
    Posts: 2780
    Joined: 17 Feb 2008 18:44
    Location: Den Haag - The Netherlands

    Postby Spicelon » 07 May 2008 16:10

    Howdy howdy ho!!
    Poop is funny.
    MetaCugel8262 is not.
    User avatar
    Spicelon
     
    Posts: 702
    Joined: 30 Mar 2008 23:31

    Postby Omphalos » 07 May 2008 16:48

    at present I am into Military Sci-fi genre, have collected over 75 books and reading them at present.


    OK. I remember you now, I think. Were you the guy who did the Starfist review over at DN?

    Welcome.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6526
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Postby SandChigger » 07 May 2008 18:20

    orald wrote:SC, I think it's you who constantly points at the female abuse in the prequels, so who was it you blamed for it, BH or KJA? I seem to have an impression of some female abuse(or just "bad shit happens") at the end of AMoTW.

    I've mentioned it a few times. I think it's from KJA because I prefer to believe he's a misogynist. :D

    I mean, have you seen his wife?

    (Oh...yesss! Collateral damage! Jan and Kim are off-limits for now but 'Becca has "stood by her man" and his stupid opinions so as far as I'm concerned she's fair...er, so to speak...game! :twisted: )

    I haven't read AMoTW, but think I'll start looking for a copy. (Teg loaned me his copy of Sidney's Comet yesterday, so it'll be interesting to have a look at some pre-Andersonian Brian Herbert. ;) )
    I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

    I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

    I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA
    User avatar
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero
     
    Posts: 14490
    Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
    Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

    Postby trang » 08 May 2008 18:49

    Omphalos wrote:
    at present I am into Military Sci-fi genre, have collected over 75 books and reading them at present.


    OK. I remember you now, I think. Were you the guy who did the Starfist review over at DN?

    Welcome.


    yes I did write the review. Its a fun and fast series, Im a former Marine so partial to it. I also am active on forums for series over at http://www.starfisthq.org the authors Dave Sherman and Dan Cragg
    are active posters and its cool to have them to interact with.

    I read and have read all facets of SCi-fi, including dune. Golden age authors, current authors, classic authors as a well military SCi-fi.

    Im just in a grove with Military sci-fi, cant explain why, it just bit into me and the more I research the genre the more books and authors I find.

    I dont throw this out for a boast, just an intro to my varied tastes and read/watch list.

    I have been thru the following in the past year(this doesnt include the other non military sci fi I have read, FH books, Assimov, Niven etc):

    1. Starfist (12 books main series, 2 books in sub series, 1 for each due out this year) Dave Sherman and Dan Craig

    2. Demontech (3 book series, military fanatasy, but still good) Dave Sherman

    3. Starwars Jedi Trial (attempt to militarize Anakin, fair book) Dave Sherman and Dan Craig

    4. Heritage, Legacy, Inheritance trilogies ( 7 books) Ian douglas

    5. Seafort Saga (7 books) Dave Feintuch

    6. Armor John steakley

    7. Starship Troopers (5th reread) Robert A. Heinlein

    8. Forever War ( 4th reread ) Joe Haldeman

    9. Forever Free, Joe Haldaman

    10. Titan, Wizard, Demon, John Varley

    My que (Military Sci-fi) to read is fairly large and working thru it, I break every so often to take in other authors for a break, but mainly plowing thru. Its been about a year and a half now since finished Dune end to end so probably will take a break inbetween to reread the core six. Here is what I have stacked up so far:

    1. Dirigent Military Corps series (6 books), 13th Space Borne series(3 books), Spec-ops Squad Series (3 books), Second Commonwealth War series (3 books), Rick Shelley

    2. Last Legion series, (4 books), Sten series (8 books) Chris bunch

    3. Forever Peace, Joe haldeman

    4. Honor Harrington Series (11 books), David Weber

    5. Hammers Slammers (8 books), Fleet series (6 books), David Drake

    6. There will be war (11 books), Falkenberg sereis (4 books) Jerry Pournelle

    7. Legion of the Dammed, (8 Books), William C. Dietz

    8. Heechee saga (5 books) Frederick Pohl

    9. Childe Cylce (Dorsai)(11 books), Combat SF(Military Sci-Fi Short storry collection), Gorden R. Dickson

    10. Stainless Steel Rat series (10 Books), Bill the Galactic hero Series (8 books) Harry Harrison

    11. Old man's War/GHost Brigade/last Colony, John Scalzi

    12. Orphan series (3 Books) Robert Buettner

    13 Retief Series (18 books), Bolo series (4 Books), Imperium Series (4 Books), keith Laumer

    14. Warstrider series (6 books) William Keith

    15. Man/kzin wars (7 books) Larry Niven


    Thats just the ones I have purhased from half price books stores/Amazon and are stacked up behind my chair in my office at home.

    It doesnt even scratch the surface of the other sci fi I want to read just by author its pretty daunting task but will persist to read as much as I can.

    Works by:
    Asimov, Adams, Anderson,Bradbury, Baxter, Bear, Bova, Burroughs, Brackett, Card, Clarke, Cook, Cherryh, Dick, Ellison, Herbert, Heinlein, Macaffrey, Norton, Niven, Robinson, Silverberg, Vance, Verne, Vogt, Wells,Willams, Zelazney etc

    Areas:
    Star wars, Star trek, a few others.

    The first Sci Fi story I ever read was when I was 7 years old, it was a short story by Ray Bradury called the "long Rain" I really liked it and since then been down the road of Sci-fi. I read fantasy too, but thats another story.

    I have, watch and collect Sci-fi series and Movies on video, have most things:

    Andromeda,B5,Firefly,Space Above and beyond, Star Trek Original,Space 1999, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Star Trek NG, Star Trek DS9,Star Trek Enterprise, Earth Final Conflict, Farscape, BSG original Series, BSG New Series, Star Trek Movies, Star Wars Movies, Logans run Series, Alien series, Matrix Series, Rosewell series. Dune 1984, Dune & COD series.

    Movie list is too long but you get the idea.


    I know Jacarutu is for DUNE, and I luv and am as passionate about it as anyone, FH just does that to ya. I just thought I would throw out some of my other interests. If you think my list is to big, well so do I, but im currently churning thru about 4 - 5 books a week so it goes pretty fast, and is a hell of a ride reading wise.

    Be well, Fair Day,
    Trang
    User avatar
    trang
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
    Location: Hot Tub Time Machine

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 08 May 2008 19:10

    Thats funny, I just picked up a copy of Forever War yesterday and am a couple chapters in right now. I'd read it was a classic somewhere and it caught my eye at the used book store. Pretty good so far.
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta

    Postby GamePlayer » 08 May 2008 21:22

    You're definitely safe enjoying a wide variety of art and entertainment here. There are plenty of topics about almost everything, plus we do love to go off on tangents in our threads :)
    User avatar
    GamePlayer
    70mm God
     
    Posts: 2993
    Joined: 09 Feb 2008 11:26
    Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

    Postby chanilover » 09 May 2008 02:12

    Hi.
    User avatar
    chanilover
     
    Posts: 1639
    Joined: 18 Feb 2008 08:29

    Postby orald » 09 May 2008 02:24

    GamePlayer wrote:You're definitely safe enjoying a wide variety of art and entertainment here. There are plenty of topics about almost everything, plus we do love to go off on tangents in our threads :)

    Blasphemy! There shall be no god but God Leto! There shall be no reading but Dune! :x
    In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

    I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
    User avatar
    orald
     
    Posts: 3010
    Joined: 28 Feb 2008 14:48
    Location: Maximum Security Mental Hospital

    Postby trang » 10 May 2008 14:39

    A Thing of Eternity wrote:Thats funny, I just picked up a copy of Forever War yesterday and am a couple chapters in right now. I'd read it was a classic somewhere and it caught my eye at the used book store. Pretty good so far.


    Forever War is great, if you do like it when its done. Joe Haldeman wrote two more in the series, sequels, of a sort. Forever peace, and then Forever free.

    If you decide to get, Suggest you read Forever Free first, its more of a direct sequel, then Forever Peace. They are pretty decent.

    Trang
    User avatar
    trang
     
    Posts: 1221
    Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
    Location: Hot Tub Time Machine

    Postby Omphalos » 10 May 2008 15:10

    trang wrote:
    A Thing of Eternity wrote:Thats funny, I just picked up a copy of Forever War yesterday and am a couple chapters in right now. I'd read it was a classic somewhere and it caught my eye at the used book store. Pretty good so far.


    Forever War is great, if you do like it when its done. Joe Haldeman wrote two more in the series, sequels, of a sort. Forever peace, and then Forever free.

    If you decide to get, Suggest you read Forever Free first, its more of a direct sequel, then Forever Peace. They are pretty decent.

    Trang


    I didnt like either one of them. Camouflage was not much better, but it was better than those two non-sequels.
    User avatar
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard
     
    Posts: 6526
    Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
    Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California

    Postby Robspierre » 10 May 2008 21:01

    The Chylde Cycle is good reading, a bit more political compared to some of the other stuff on the list but more satisfying reads for me. That reminds me, I think I need a couple of books to finish my set.

    Rob
    User avatar
    Robspierre
     
    Posts: 2160
    Joined: 19 Feb 2008 10:49
    Location: Cascadia

    Postby A Thing of Eternity » 11 May 2008 22:44

    trang wrote:
    A Thing of Eternity wrote:Thats funny, I just picked up a copy of Forever War yesterday and am a couple chapters in right now. I'd read it was a classic somewhere and it caught my eye at the used book store. Pretty good so far.


    Forever War is great, if you do like it when its done. Joe Haldeman wrote two more in the series, sequels, of a sort. Forever peace, and then Forever free.

    If you decide to get, Suggest you read Forever Free first, its more of a direct sequel, then Forever Peace. They are pretty decent.

    Trang

    Thanks, I will.
    Image
    User avatar
    A Thing of Eternity
     
    Posts: 6090
    Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
    Location: Calgary Alberta


    Return to ˱

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests