Good day to you!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Dune Nerd

Good day to you!

Post by Dune Nerd »

Hi everyone,
Been perusing(sp?) the site for a while now but actually decided to join and post. I generally enjoy the discussion but don't feel like I have much to add but I will do my best.

Upon a recommendation from some friends I read the Dune books in chronological order (with P&B being first), almost did not make it to the real Dune. Thankfully I pushed through and have been honored to savor every little bit and piece that FH put out there for us. I have also read almost everything else that FH has put out there and have to say that the Pandora series is a very close second as far as his writing goes.

Hope to enjoy more good discussions with everyone!
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Re: Good day to you!

Post by Nekhrun »

Dune Nerd wrote:Hi everyone,
Been perusing(sp?) the site for a while now but actually decided to join and post. I generally enjoy the discussion but don't feel like I have much to add but I will do my best.

Upon a recommendation from some friends I read the Dune books in chronological order (with P&B being first), almost did not make it to the real Dune. Thankfully I pushed through and have been honored to savor every little bit and piece that FH put out there for us. I have also read almost everything else that FH has put out there and have to say that the Pandora series is a very close second as far as his writing goes.

Sorry for your experience. Tell us how your poisoned mind dealt with Frank's novels. Were visions of prequels influencing your take on his books? (I really am curious about your interpretation of them and think it could help give a little more fuel to the OH fire.)

Oh yeah, and welcome!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Great to have you!

Just try to forget the prequels :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleilax Master B

Post by Tleilax Master B »

Welcome! Good to have you!
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

<does the Phoopy Welcome Dance>

Welcome! Congrats on persevering! :D

Phoop!
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I like the plain, simple, direct name you've chosen :) I must say I'm amazed you were able to endure all those awful prequel books before getting to the real Frank Herbert Dune novels. You endured far more lousy writing than I would have tolerated before getting to the quality work of dear Frank. I refuse to read KJA's crap.

Welcome to the boards and I hope you have fun.
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

Sorry for your experience. Tell us how your poisoned mind dealt with Frank's novels. Were visions of prequels influencing your take on his books? (I really am curious about your interpretation of them and think it could help give a little more fuel to the OH fire.)
Actually, as I was reading the prequels I thought, 'oh that's a neat idea,' I have to say I was mildly entertained, but thought provoking books are generally what I look for so I was disappointed.

The only reason I was able to make it through those was the fact that it was action filled but lacking in substance.

After reading just one chapter of Dune, I knew that was what I was looking for. I allowed the poison of the prequels to pass through me and when I looked back all that was left was the quality. Dune.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Helloooooooooooo!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
HoosierDaddy

Post by HoosierDaddy »

Welcome.

I quoted the above, as I have heard the argument (from preeks and the HLP) that the prequels/sequels don't prevent others from enjoying Frank Herbert's books. They do, and the more of them piled amongst FH's works, the less chance somebody will actually read the real Dune.
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

HoosierDaddy wrote:

Welcome.

I quoted the above, as I have heard the argument (from preeks and the HLP) that the prequels/sequels don't prevent others from enjoying Frank Herbert's books. They do, and the more of them piled amongst FH's works, the less chance somebody will actually read the real Dune.
I quoted the above because I share the fear that with the promise of more bullshit from hinky&pinky the wall to climb to the originals becomes larger and larger.

I feel a lot of sympathy for the topic starter having to have to endure those shelf fillers before finding the treasure that is Dune. Welcome to Jacurutu.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome to the cast out. I too feel the pain of P&B, but I luckily started with Dune - read through to Chapterhouse in a couple months then went and exitedly bought the Butlerian Jihad... seriously, I almost cried in dissapointment by the time I made it through the first couple chapters. I should have put it down. But I didn't, I read the whole trilogy, have regretted it ever since.
Last edited by A Thing of Eternity on 30 Apr 2008 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Hi Dune Nerd, welcome to Jacurutu.

I haven't poisoned my brain with P&tB's crappy books yet.. probably never will.
orald

Post by orald »

Dune Nerd wrote:Upon a recommendation from some friends I read the Dune books in chronological order (with P&B being first)
Those are no true friends! Kill the infidels! :x
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Dune Nerd wrote:After reading just one chapter of Dune, I knew that was what I was looking for. I allowed the poison of the prequels to pass through me and when I looked back all that was left was the quality. Dune.
Hehehe, I like the way you said that :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Welcome to the true home of Dune on the Web. :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Welcome, welcome, let the flaming begin!!!!!!!!

Rob
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Welcome here Dune Nerd...you will find many who are alike your namesake...

Thank Dur ! :P
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

Welcome! :)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Hi there matey:)
Dune Nerd

Question

Post by Dune Nerd »

Ok so I am new to these things, how exactly when you do a quote do you get the name to pop up?

I can do the quote part
Welcome to the true home of Dune on the Web. Very Happy
but I can't get the name to pop up?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Code: Select all

[quote="inhuien"]Hi there matey:)[/quote]
Like that.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

bryanvdk wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:
Dune Nerd wrote:After reading just one chapter of Dune, I knew that was what I was looking for. I allowed the poison of the prequels to pass through me and when I looked back all that was left was the quality. Dune.
Hehehe, I like the way you said that :)

The Litany Against Poor Writing
Hahahaha, absolutely! :)
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

Freakzilla wrote:
Code:
inhuien wrote:Hi there matey:)

Like that.
Thanks
Mandy
Cat Herder

Re: Question

Post by Mandy »

Dune Nerd wrote:Ok so I am new to these things, how exactly when you do a quote do you get the name to pop up?

I can do the quote part
You can also click on the "quote" button at the top right of the person's post you are quoting. It will automatically put the person's name above the quote.
Spicelon

Re: Question

Post by Spicelon »

Mandy wrote:
Dune Nerd wrote:Ok so I am new to these things, how exactly when you do a quote do you get the name to pop up?

I can do the quote part
You can also click on the "quote" button at the top right of the person's post you are quoting. It will automatically put the person's name above the quote.
Pointy Boobs!!

Hey, we're still on for tonight, right? :D
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.