• Login
  •          

Good day to you!

Tell us a little about yourself

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Good day to you!

Postby Dune Nerd » 30 Apr 2008 13:09

Hi everyone,
    Been perusing(sp?) the site for a while now but actually decided to join and post. I generally enjoy the discussion but don't feel like I have much to add but I will do my best.

Upon a recommendation from some friends I read the Dune books in chronological order (with P&B being first), almost did not make it to the real Dune. Thankfully I pushed through and have been honored to savor every little bit and piece that FH put out there for us. I have also read almost everything else that FH has put out there and have to say that the Pandora series is a very close second as far as his writing goes.

Hope to enjoy more good discussions with everyone!
    Dune Nerd

Re: Good day to you!

Postby Nekhrun » 30 Apr 2008 13:33

Dune Nerd wrote:Hi everyone,
    Been perusing(sp?) the site for a while now but actually decided to join and post. I generally enjoy the discussion but don't feel like I have much to add but I will do my best.

Upon a recommendation from some friends I read the Dune books in chronological order (with P&B being first), almost did not make it to the real Dune. Thankfully I pushed through and have been honored to savor every little bit and piece that FH put out there for us. I have also read almost everything else that FH has put out there and have to say that the Pandora series is a very close second as far as his writing goes.

Sorry for your experience. Tell us how your poisoned mind dealt with Frank's novels. Were visions of prequels influencing your take on his books? (I really am curious about your interpretation of them and think it could help give a little more fuel to the OH fire.)

Oh yeah, and welcome!
    Nekhrun
    Icelandic Wiener

Postby Freakzilla » 30 Apr 2008 13:34

Great to have you!

Just try to forget the prequels :wink:
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Postby Tleilax Master B » 30 Apr 2008 13:38

Welcome! Good to have you!
    Tleilax Master B

Postby Spicelon » 30 Apr 2008 13:41

<does the Phoopy Welcome Dance>

Welcome! Congrats on persevering! :D

Phoop!
    Poop is funny.
    MetaCugel8262 is not.
    Spicelon

Postby GamePlayer » 30 Apr 2008 14:05

I like the plain, simple, direct name you've chosen :) I must say I'm amazed you were able to endure all those awful prequel books before getting to the real Frank Herbert Dune novels. You endured far more lousy writing than I would have tolerated before getting to the quality work of dear Frank. I refuse to read KJA's crap.

Welcome to the boards and I hope you have fun.
    GamePlayer
    70mm God

Postby Dune Nerd » 30 Apr 2008 14:06

Sorry for your experience. Tell us how your poisoned mind dealt with Frank's novels. Were visions of prequels influencing your take on his books? (I really am curious about your interpretation of them and think it could help give a little more fuel to the OH fire.)

Actually, as I was reading the prequels I thought, 'oh that's a neat idea,' I have to say I was mildly entertained, but thought provoking books are generally what I look for so I was disappointed.

The only reason I was able to make it through those was the fact that it was action filled but lacking in substance.

After reading just one chapter of Dune, I knew that was what I was looking for. I allowed the poison of the prequels to pass through me and when I looked back all that was left was the quality. Dune.
    Dune Nerd

Postby Omphalos » 30 Apr 2008 15:01

Helloooooooooooo!
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Postby HoosierDaddy » 30 Apr 2008 15:25

Welcome.

I quoted the above, as I have heard the argument (from preeks and the HLP) that the prequels/sequels don't prevent others from enjoying Frank Herbert's books. They do, and the more of them piled amongst FH's works, the less chance somebody will actually read the real Dune.
    HoosierDaddy

Postby Serkanner » 30 Apr 2008 15:29

HoosierDaddy wrote:

Welcome.

I quoted the above, as I have heard the argument (from preeks and the HLP) that the prequels/sequels don't prevent others from enjoying Frank Herbert's books. They do, and the more of them piled amongst FH's works, the less chance somebody will actually read the real Dune.

I quoted the above because I share the fear that with the promise of more bullshit from hinky&pinky the wall to climb to the originals becomes larger and larger.

I feel a lot of sympathy for the topic starter having to have to endure those shelf fillers before finding the treasure that is Dune. Welcome to Jacurutu.
    Serkanner

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 30 Apr 2008 15:51

Welcome to the cast out. I too feel the pain of P&B, but I luckily started with Dune - read through to Chapterhouse in a couple months then went and exitedly bought the Butlerian Jihad... seriously, I almost cried in dissapointment by the time I made it through the first couple chapters. I should have put it down. But I didn't, I read the whole trilogy, have regretted it ever since.
    Last edited by A Thing of Eternity on 30 Apr 2008 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
    A Thing of Eternity

Postby Mandy » 30 Apr 2008 16:04

Hi Dune Nerd, welcome to Jacurutu.

I haven't poisoned my brain with P&tB's crappy books yet.. probably never will.
    Mandy
    Cat Herder

Postby orald » 30 Apr 2008 16:34

Dune Nerd wrote:Upon a recommendation from some friends I read the Dune books in chronological order (with P&B being first)

Those are no true friends! Kill the infidels! :x
    In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
    orald

Postby GamePlayer » 30 Apr 2008 18:15

Dune Nerd wrote:After reading just one chapter of Dune, I knew that was what I was looking for. I allowed the poison of the prequels to pass through me and when I looked back all that was left was the quality. Dune.

Hehehe, I like the way you said that :)
    GamePlayer
    70mm God

Postby SandChigger » 30 Apr 2008 18:18

Welcome to the true home of Dune on the Web. :D
    I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA
    SandChigger
    KJASF Ground Zero

Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"

Postby Robspierre » 30 Apr 2008 21:25

Welcome, welcome, let the flaming begin!!!!!!!!

Rob
    Robspierre

Postby Rakis » 30 Apr 2008 21:55

Welcome here Dune Nerd...you will find many who are alike your namesake...

Thank Dur ! :P
    Rakis

Postby Crysknife » 30 Apr 2008 23:49

Welcome! :)
    Crysknife

Postby inhuien » 01 May 2008 03:05

Hi there matey:)
    inhuien

Question

Postby Dune Nerd » 01 May 2008 09:19

Ok so I am new to these things, how exactly when you do a quote do you get the name to pop up?

I can do the quote part
    Welcome to the true home of Dune on the Web. Very Happy

but I can't get the name to pop up?
    Dune Nerd

Postby Freakzilla » 01 May 2008 09:35

Code: Select all
    [quote="inhuien"]Hi there matey:)[/quote]

Like that.
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Postby GamePlayer » 01 May 2008 09:48

bryanvdk wrote:
    GamePlayer wrote:
    Dune Nerd wrote:After reading just one chapter of Dune, I knew that was what I was looking for. I allowed the poison of the prequels to pass through me and when I looked back all that was left was the quality. Dune.

Hehehe, I like the way you said that :)

The Litany Against Poor Writing

Hahahaha, absolutely! :)
    GamePlayer
    70mm God

Postby Dune Nerd » 01 May 2008 11:44

Freakzilla wrote:
    Code:
    inhuien wrote:Hi there matey:)

Like that.

Thanks
    Dune Nerd

Re: Question

Postby Mandy » 01 May 2008 11:45

Dune Nerd wrote:Ok so I am new to these things, how exactly when you do a quote do you get the name to pop up?

I can do the quote part

You can also click on the "quote" button at the top right of the person's post you are quoting. It will automatically put the person's name above the quote.
    Mandy
    Cat Herder

Re: Question

Postby Spicelon » 01 May 2008 11:51

Mandy wrote:
    Dune Nerd wrote:Ok so I am new to these things, how exactly when you do a quote do you get the name to pop up?

I can do the quote part

You can also click on the "quote" button at the top right of the person's post you are quoting. It will automatically put the person's name above the quote.

Pointy Boobs!!

Hey, we're still on for tonight, right? :D
    Poop is funny.
    MetaCugel8262 is not.
    Spicelon

Next

Return to ˱