New Users - Please Read

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

orald

Post by orald »

Pfft, an Obama Train? Obama's obviously jumping in to fill poor Dondarion's shoes, if anything.

Yes, to figure WTF I'm joking about here you need to be:

A. A ASoIaF fan.
B. Know Hebrew.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
filmprog

Hello Jacurutu!

Post by filmprog »

I have been a fan of the Dune universe since I started in the wrong place a long time ago. I had just finished watching the movie and didn't want the story to end. So I actually began reading Dune novels with Dune Messiah.

And I think that it's a great book to start on, considering the age I started which was about 8th grade in the US. (So 13-14 years old I suppose...) And considering that it's a short, more action-oriented novel.

I eventually finished the series and then went back and read Dune by Frank Herbert. I was amazed to find the inconsistencies between the novel and the film. But that's a topic I'm sure is covered somewhere else. ;)

I'm very excited to see a vibrant forum for the Dune universe and it's very nice to meet each of you.
Fear is the mind-killer. I must not fear.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Achlan wasachlan fii sietchnaa! (Howdy & welcome.)

Another Mac user, huh? :D

Heard any good scuttlebutt on Berg or Zetumer and the new Dune flop? I mean, flick? ;)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Welcome. Your Water is Ours.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Welcome, friend!
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
filmprog

Post by filmprog »

Baraka Bryan wrote:did you also read the McNovels by the technophobe and Hiking hack?
It took me just a moment to understand what you were talking about there... But then I remembered that there is much hate for the two men currently writing Dune novels.

I personally am a fan of the new books, I own every hardback. Inconsistencies aside I will probably be a voice of defense for them on the forum.

I hope it will make the discussions lively and fun without hurting feelings. I look forward to cool debates and imaginings of the universe that made me want to be a writer myself.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Welcome, and fair enough, I actually miss some of the debates that arose from having people who enjoyed the new books around, so I hope everyon keeps it civil and we can have some good discussions.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Don't hold your breath.

This is where you want to be: http://www.dunenovels.com/phpBB2/
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Won't be the first time a welcome has been retracted.

I'm sorry to disappoint Thang, but there is no possible "defense" of shit. If you want to discuss shit, do it in the toilet that is the Dune Novels BBS.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

SandChigger wrote:I'm sorry to disappoint Thang, but there is no possible "defense" of shit. If you want to discuss shit, do it in the toilet that is the Dune Novels BBS.
I was going to agree with Thing.. but you;re right. It is a bit enjoyable some times and adds a dynamic we don;t have here.. but ultimately it's just pointless-horse-flogging-preek-baiting. Nothing they say can even slightly convert me - I've read that shit :(

Still welcome filmprog! - fellow FH fan :P
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hellooooo new guy from SLC. Please dont take anything that happens to you here personally, even if its meant that way. The battle lines were drawn long before you came around, and the only way that they will move is towards those assholes Brian and Kevin. Prequel/Sequel/Interquel lovers dont last too long around here. Just remember: Its not (always) personal.

I really love using that word in parentheses, don't I? :D

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
A Thing of Eternity

Oh I agree there's no real defense, but it's still fun to argue with people defending indefensible positions. Why else to we argue with religious people? :lol: More more interesting than sitting in a circle with everyone agreeing and hugging. :wink:
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Welcome Filmprog. I do believe you will find it very interesting around here. Looking forward to getting to know you better.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
filmprog

Post by filmprog »

I love an active board. And I've uses phpbb boards before so it feels very familiar.

I can represent a minority here fine. I plan to keep my mind open, but I value the work that Brian and Kevin have done on the new novels.

I am going to be reading each of the books again to try and become more familiar with the stories and characters. So I look forward to the escape to the future history of the human race as imagined by Frank, Brian and Kevin.

I am a real fan of Frank Herbert's other work as well. Specifically the Whipping Star / Dosadi Experiment. I wish there was more in that universe.
A Thing of Eternity

filmprog wrote: I am a real fan of Frank Herbert's other work as well. Specifically the Whipping Star / Dosadi Experiment. I wish there was more in that universe.
Man, be CAREFUL what you wish for, and don't give Pinky and the Brian any ideas. Those books are even further over their heads than the Dune series is. :lol:
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

filmprog wrote:I am a real fan of Frank Herbert's other work as well. Specifically the Whipping Star / Dosadi Experiment. I wish there was more in that universe.
Have you read the Eye stories?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
filmprog

Post by filmprog »

DuneFishUK, et al.

I've decided to spawn off a new threat on "What's Your Favorite FH Work Outside Dune?" here => viewtopic.php?t=1171
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

filmprog wrote:I love an active board.
Ah, well, you won't like Dumb Novels then.
I can represent a minority here fine. I plan to keep my mind open, but I value the work that Brian and Kevin have done on the new novels.
I'm sorry, what work is that? Are you one of the new generation that values simple effort, rather than real results, as something praiseworthy?

Above you wrote "inconsistencies aside..."; does that mean you view the inconsistencies with FH's originals as unimportant? And you do realize that there are problems with the books besides inconsistencies, right?

I guess I'm having a hard time seeing what exactly there is to defend....
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

filmprog wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:did you also read the McNovels by the technophobe and Hiking hack?
It took me just a moment to understand what you were talking about there... But then I remembered that there is much hate for the two men currently writing Dune novels.

I personally am a fan of the new books, I own every hardback. Inconsistencies aside I will probably be a voice of defense for them on the forum.

I hope it will make the discussions lively and fun without hurting feelings. I look forward to cool debates and imaginings of the universe that made me want to be a writer myself.
fuck that.
sorry, but fuck that.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

:lol: SR, you don't have to participate.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
orald

Post by orald »

Freakzilla wrote::lol: SR, you don't have to participate.
A lesson I'm starting to learn as well.

:twisted:
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

filmprog wrote:... but I value the work that Brian and Kevin have done on the new novels.
What would that be, exactly? Hiking? Drooling?

But, hey, you seem like a decent sort, so I'll say: "Good luck and I hope you have some asbestos armor." Your computer chair is likely to become very, very hot in the next few days ... :wink:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Hello filmprog. Welcome aboard, walk the plank. :P
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

Sweet but short! ;)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Damn. Where are all these pretards coming from? :roll: