• Register
  • Login
  •          

Horrible tastes

Tell us a little about yourself

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Horrible tastes

Postby Tay al-Arz » 07 Sep 2012 17:54

I started my journey through Dune with an audio-book torrent that I found on piratebay, I wanted to check it out because on an episode of spongebob I watched where they hunt a giant worm there is a reference to dune.

The earliest book in terms of historical placement in the duneiverse that was included in the torrent was a horribly read recording of house atreides, so unknowingly I started there. Now, as I had no clue what I was listening to, I enjoyed it, and enjoyed all of the house prequels. I came into Dune with a more solid understanding of the events that had lead up to it (even though I could have inferred some of the things, and others were possibly contradictory) and I think I enjoyed Dune more than I would have, had it been the book I started with.

I listened through Dune, Dune Messiah, and Children of dune, all in a streak of sci-fi zen. When I listened to God Emperor of Dune I spent the entire story underwater swimming with a pair of waterproof headphones in my ears. I tried to listen to Heretics of Dune, but the time skip was more jarring than I was anticipating and I had difficulty getting into the story. About a year later I finally got my brother to check out the series after constant prodding, he decided to start with the earliest part of the series, so I went to track it down and to my surprise I found that there was a trilogy of the Butlerian Jihad. I took my chances and we went through the first of the trilogy together while on trans-atlantic flights. I loved it, he loved it (despite having no clue of the potential significance of the families and characters being introduced) and everything seemed more fleshed out and developed.

Recently I gritted my teeth and decided to finish the series and stop teasing myself about how it all ended, I liked heretics well enough, Teg makes up for some of the lacking intensity of the previous works by FH, and I could tolerate chapterhouse though it is by no means my favorite.

When I listened to Sandworms of Dune I expected something... I don't know any more, how can I love everything from both FH, and the bastardized canon of KJA+BH and not enjoy the ending? Why would they do this to me? Its alright, I never need to look at Sandworms again, but I will continue to enjoy House Harkonnen while playing some dune legacy.

Anyway, I'm a long time lurker, I stumbled upon this place once a while back and have checked it occasionally for figuring out the canonicity of certain things, but I was hesitant to make an account because I wanted to avoid spoilers, this is no longer an issue, and I am ready to join the conversation.
    Tay al-Arz

Re: Horrible tastes

Postby Serkanner » 08 Sep 2012 08:09

Welcome Home!
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    Serkanner

Postby Freakzilla » 08 Sep 2012 08:35

:text-welcomeconfetti: :text-welcomeconfetti:
    Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
    ~Pink Snowman
    Freakzilla
    Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Postby trang » 08 Sep 2012 09:07

Well Met and Welcome!!
    "Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
    But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.."
    trang

Postby ULFsurfer » 09 Sep 2012 08:58

Hey Tay, welcome! It's always interesting to hear the opinions from people who started out with the preqs.

Tay al-Arz wrote: When I listened to God Emperor of Dune I spent the entire story underwater swimming with a pair of waterproof headphones in my ears.

Sounds like a unique experience! Are you a professional diver?
    ULFsurfer

Postby Visigoth » 09 Sep 2012 23:14

Hello

No -Decompression limits
    60 ft/60 minutes

50ft/70 minutes

70 ft/50 minutes

And like that...

How long is the audio book?
    :techie-hourglass: :animals-fishblue:
    ImageImageImage